xingyi movement question

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

xingyi movement question

Postby Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 am

Is it standard practice to perform your wuxing using long, medium, and short movements?

Say you're doing zuanquan. Are you imagining punching through your target (long, open movement), or are you imagining a small, sharp uppercut (small, closed movement)?
Last edited by Ian on Tue May 20, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Re: xingyi movement question

Postby I-mon on Tue May 20, 2008 1:16 am

usually we're encouraged to practice long extended movements in the beginning to get power through the maximum range and then we can make them smaller.

when using them the longer movements are more for connecting and drawing out the opponents defences, shorter movements for subsequent wrap-ups and attacks.
Last edited by I-mon on Tue May 20, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue May 20, 2008 6:55 am

I suppose it depends, because when you say it like that then it means that you are training the form according to specific usage (techniques) in mind.
Thats ok, but i prefer to focus on how the power is generated, instead of how will i use it. Like starting out long, focusing on the end of the tip (fist), then getting shorter and focusing on transfering to the elbow....then the shoulder, while doing the same form.

Its long and short as well, but without techniques in mind. Just mechanics.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Tue May 20, 2008 7:12 am

Oh, and the punching thru the target i like to maintain it always. Its what makes the techique hit when the guy backpedals, and what makes the hit go POW, when the guy doesn't. (just one POW) ;)
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Harvey on Wed May 21, 2008 7:06 am

My teachers mantra is

"Train Big, Use Small"
Feck You You Feckin Fecker
Harvey
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Wed May 21, 2008 2:09 pm

I pick the farthest thing that I can see and pretend that I'm punching through that. Or the highest or lowest or furthest thing I can imagine at the time.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Ian wrote:Is it standard practice to perform your wuxing using long, medium, and short movements?

Say you're doing zuanquan. Are you imagining punching through your target (long, open movement), or are you imagining a small, sharp uppercut (small, closed movement)?

Short answer: yes.

In practice we're advised to fully extend our movements, but in actual combat the blows can be delivered from any distance that is practical. Example: in close, beng can be a tichok, and zuan is exactly like that zero-distance corkscrew punch you guys do. It all depends on distance, timing and opportunity.

Not only can you vary the distance, but also the speed, height, etc. Hsing-i is not simple at all, it is incredibly complex! ;)
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks, everyone.
Ian

Postby kreese on Thu May 22, 2008 11:27 pm

big wave -> small wave
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One