Greater and Lesser Heavenly Circulation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Greater and Lesser Heavenly Circulation

Postby origami_itto on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:13 pm

The Yang (and I suppose Wu) taijiquan forms have some well documented effects on qi flow. Each grasp sparrows tail is a lesser heavenly circulation that hooks into various greater heavenly circulations.

This is one of the theories explaining why the form is so supernaturally good for health. Playing the long form takes the body through multiple complete and varied qi circulations that strengthen the body from the inside out. By the time you've finished, you've worked it through every single channel and meridian several times.

T.T. Liang, when interviewed, attributed his longevity (103 years old after nearly dying from vice in his 40s) to playing the long form every day, despite being Cheng Man Ching's most senior disciple. So I'm thinking there may be something to this theory.

I'm wondering how much attention is paid to this in the baguazhang and xingyiquan systems. I'm pretty sure the wu xing correspond to meridians, at least, but I don't know enough about the internals of the 12 animals. As far as I know they also are reputed to affect circulation, but as they're done individually it's not really the same as what happens in the long form.

With baguazhang I literally have no clue, but if any of the systems appeals to tripping out on taoism it seems like bagua would be it.

So, what can you tell me about qi circulation in the rest of the neijia?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Greater and Lesser Heavenly Circulation

Postby yeniseri on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:53 pm

These are the instructions I give new students about Greater and Lesser Circulation!
1. Learn your art
2. Live your art
3. Practice whatever your practice
4. THEN read up on this stuff (Greater/lesser Circulation) on getting a background, if you are interested. Don't force the concept, Just do it

Circulation is just that and only that 8-) When there is 'blockage' (stasis) limited circulation, then it affects other systems.

The paradigms (TCM/CCM/yangshengong/daoyin/neigong ??? ) and Western anatomy and physiology don't meet but there is alot of "translating" from one to another in coming to a coherent view of such things. My own experience knowing both sides from a small viewpoint is that Greater or Lesser Circulation does not exist (comparison) but there are degrees of jingqishen (there I go again ;D ) that does influence circulation (from a Western POV) such as disease, level of fitness/conditioning, dietary/nutrition and lifestyle. So I count this time 4 variables, each with equal influence but whichever one is deficient, will affect longevity and wellness.
NOTE; jingqishen has 3 varaible in itself, i.e. hereditary, environment, and potential bad habits ??? jing what we get form parents hence hereditary, qi (from environment) shen (our own stuff and degree to which we enhance or abuse the first 2 variables.
Last edited by yeniseri on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 am

Any exercise if done with -mind-breath-body- connection will improve qi circulation.
If full knowledge of it is important for you - go for meridian qigong,
no needs to practise MA.
In MA it is just byproduct of the correct practise ...
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 am

It's definitely something that can get you out in the weeds pretty quick and as an absolute beginner it's pretty much worthless.

I'm very familiar with the concepts and particulars as they relate to taijiquan, and the movements are undoubtedly sequenced to maximize qi flow in these particular circulations. Single postures are effective for working on particular meridians and conditions. If, of course, you put any credence in the theory. I can't say that I accept it fully and without reservation, or that I'm fully clear on the difference between qi as in bio-electric energy or qi as in an "intention wave".

I don't know anything about the meridian qigong, and doubt there is anyone near me to teach it. It may be more directly effective than the yang long form, but I'll never know. I practice the "Taiji 21 qigong" and Yiquan meditation in addition to my long form and weapons forms.

I definitely believe that the Yang long form is more effective then "any exercise" (maybe not every exercise), particularly when you pay attention to the meditative aspects.

So I have learned/ing the art, I apply it to every aspect of my life, and I practice diligently. I'm reading up on this stuff and am just curious how developed the concepts are in the other neijia.

The Yang system really hammers it, if I'm interpreting it correctly, there are 8 complete cycles with various emphases in the greater circulation. The sequence only really makes complete sense when accounting for the circulations. I don't really plan to study any more xingyi than what I know already, and bagua just isn't in the picture at all. I'm just curious as to whether the main forms or sequences in the other systems, or even in LHPF, are arranged with the same sort of concerns. Are they single-meridian exercises or are they after circulation as well?

Of them all, taijiquan seems to have attracted the most scholarly attention in this area, but that could just be my bias. I haven't sought out any texts covering these topics from the perspective of the other systems or even know which authors are worth looking in to. Recommendations along those lines are also very welcome.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:16 am

With baguazhang I literally have no clue, but if any of the systems appeals to tripping out on taoism it seems like bagua would be it.

So, what can you tell me about qi circulation in the rest of the neijia?

The information in this article was obtained during an interview with Nan Lu at the AAU Regional Internal Arts
Championship in Gaithersburg, MD in March 1992.

“In Pa Kua Chang you utilize unbalanced energy inside your body to offset an opponent’s balance,” says Nan Lu, a 36
year old native of Fujian Province, China who now teaches in New York City.

As a certified doctor of traditional Chinese medicine Nan Lu is very aware of energetic relationships within the body.
Developing the energy which is specific to Pa Kua Chang is the focus of his practice.

Every system of Chinese martial arts has its own special practices to build up energy. Pa Kua Chang,
like other internal systems, emphasizes these energy building practices as particularly important, more so
than forms or techniques. Depending on the particular system of Pa Kua Chang, these practices often included

holding postures statically or performing a particular posture while walking the circle. The postures were used
to develop or open specific energy pathways, namely the channels or meridians that, according to traditional
Chinese philosophy, permeate the human body.

Different postures connect to different meridians or combination of meridians. One practices a particular posture in
order increase and to refine the particular energy that circulates through that meridian. By creating balance of
the circulating energies throughout the body, one could achieve health and longevity, important tenets of the
Taoist system, from which Pa Kua Chang arose.

The greater one’s life expectancy, the deeper one could evolve one’s spiritual development. Pa Kua Chang was then a
blend of spiritual and physical practice. To the Taoists who practiced Pa Kua Chang, efficient self-defense was also an important, although less
significant, benefit of Pa Kua Chang. In China there existed little of what today we would call law and order,

particularly in the rural or isolated areas in which the Taoist hermits lived. Freedom from fear and aggression
by others as well as the intuitive understanding gained by such practices gave these individuals deeper insight
and self-reliance in order to pursue their spiritual
practices.

"Pa Kua Chang
Vol. 2, No. 5 July/August 1992
N e w s l e t t e r"

dglen, or maybe some of the other members here can comment on the commentary.
It does give an insight into some of the thoughts behind different practices.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby chud on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:38 am

oragami_itto wrote:The Yang (and I suppose Wu) taijiquan forms have some well documented effects on qi flow. Each grasp sparrows tail is a lesser heavenly circulation that hooks into various greater heavenly circulations.

This is one of the theories explaining why the form is so supernaturally good for health. Playing the long form takes the body through multiple complete and varied qi circulations that strengthen the body from the inside out. By the time you've finished, you've worked it through every single channel and meridian several times.

T.T. Liang, when interviewed, attributed his longevity (103 years old after nearly dying from vice in his 40s) to playing the long form every day, despite being Cheng Man Ching's most senior disciple. So I'm thinking there may be something to this theory.

Thanks for this post.

I have been away from Yang style Taiji, but am looking at getting back into it for this very reason.
When I used to practice it, I remember after a year or so I could feel things in my body that I had not felt before.
Last edited by chud on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:43 am

IMHO, Greater Heavenly Circulation just means that you get out the qi circulation into the limbs. And that's it.

In IMA, there are plenty of over intellectualising and philosophical models that make things overly complicated. Again, IMHO...
Last edited by Bao on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby BeerlessBoxer on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 am

At the moment my opinion about qi circulation and meridians correspond closely to anatomy trains myofascial meridians' concept; functional connections and properties. Lesser circulation would include the torso only, and greater circulation includes the whole body.

Which makes "Clearing the blockages" mean; smoothing out these muscle-tendon-channels so that there aren't any unnecessary/harmful tensions which would prevent the smooth function and usage of the "meridian".

"Balacing the meridians" would then mean, approximately something like, getting to know each movement/posture(feeling the "meridians" within body) so well, that the "meridians" function together towards the same goal without interfering with each other in any way.

Making the circulation stronger would then mean pretty much gaining strenght and stamina in the channels while also still keeping them balanced and cleared.

Such way of using the body means that the body is as relaxed as possible, working smoothly in all situations, keeping the stress etc... away, which is part of healthy living.

edit more stuff;
The idea of "making complete circulations"/"working every channel" within the form would then mean that you train each part of your body about the same amount, without leaving a part of body untrained/unused.

The first group I trained taichi with emphazised working "complete circulations" each time too much for beginners in my opinion(they pretty much said that you should always work only with whole form/certain part of it, or is it "harmful"). I think there is no "complete circulation" or "qi flow" unless you are doing taichi correctly, which means utilising whole body in every action, not just flap them noodle hands.

My current teacher tells that it is very important to practice each movement/posture alone and with repetitions, so that you gain enough familiarity with the movement. Only after all the postures are done correctly, you can actually "play taichi" and "make the qi flow" while doing your form.
Last edited by BeerlessBoxer on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeerlessBoxer
Santi

Postby yeniseri on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:32 am

Sometimes my head spins with vague notions of obfuscation and denseness but when you practice with the basics, enjoy the art for its own sake and you realize the positive influences, then most things fall into place and everything else never matters. Here is a small view of wellness and its various domains (variables) that contribute to greater heath, wellbeing and longevity.

There is one part of daoyin/Daoist thought where if there is a continual preoccupation with a thing, on ebegins to stink due to this one dimensional fixation on some type of orthodixy.
Said domains allow for a well rounded and fresh view of looking at longevity/wellness/health. Just sayin' ???

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.nationalwe ... tsheet.pdf
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby gerard on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:30 pm

oragami_itto wrote:So, what can you tell me about qi circulation in the rest of the neijia?

Hi friend,

Could you please read excellent piece of advice?

If the person asked, "What does 'Buddho' mean?" Ajaan Sao would answer, "Don't ask."

In our context, what is qi circulation in Bagua?

Don't ask...just walk the circle. Because if you walk the circle mindfully and with the goal of improving each and every time you practice, the art itself will take you deeper, and deeper and deeper still. Qi becomes a nuisance, honestly.

:)
gerard
Mingjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 am

gerard wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:So, what can you tell me about qi circulation in the rest of the neijia?

Hi friend,

Could you please read excellent piece of advice?

If the person asked, "What does 'Buddho' mean?" Ajaan Sao would answer, "Don't ask."

In our context, what is qi circulation in Bagua?

Don't ask...just walk the circle. Because if you walk the circle mindfully and with the goal of improving each and every time you practice, the art itself will take you deeper, and deeper and deeper still. Qi becomes a nuisance, honestly.

:)

Hello back. :D

That is good advice.

I don't study baguazhang nor do I intend to, I'm mainly just curious how the system integrates these concepts as compared to taijiquan, which I am much more familiar with.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby gerard on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Hey,

Happy to help. Yes, Bagua like any other Chinese energetic practice is deeply rooted in its culture. It picks up the essence of Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism. The system is based in circle walking while holding specific palms. Rotation around a circle, twisting and specific footwork estimulates the movement of Qi in the internal organ networks as well as opening of what it was already open before society's conditioning started to become a daily routine: schooling, poor posture, stress, incorrect diet and sleep, Western medication, emotions, etc. This specific system is what is called the Pre-Heaven aspect of Baguazhang; that is returning the mind to its natural/primordial state. The Post-Heaven aspect of cultivation is directed towards using the art towards a martial intent. However I can't really help here because I no longer focus on it.

This is the start since the system is, as I said above, is deeply connected to Taoist philosophy and Chinese Medicine Theory (Huangdi Neijing). The later aspect of Bagua is connected with what is called 'shen' cultivation in Taoism or the mind itself in Buddhism. Theravada Buddhism has a very clear line of cultivation in that regard, this is directly related to the first answer I gave.

Best! :)
gerard
Mingjing

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:38 pm

I've had it happen from the first walking form in Ziranmen and one of the power generation forms in Hsing Yi. I've even see it from a Taoist walking exercise using hand weights.

Personally, I think that if you want to train the circulations the most efficient way to do this is via the orbits. So learn these circulations and have at it.

Santiago Dobles and Tao Semko have a great training program at kundaliniawakeningprocess.com. I can also recommend Gary Clyman's Tidal Wave Chi Gung and Mind Light Nei Gung systems for learning a martial approach to the orbits as well. His material can be found at: chikung.com
Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan