Question about Park Bok Nam

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Question about Park Bok Nam

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:53 am

Hey, to anybody who might be able to answer my question.

I remember back in the day checking out a lot Parks stuff because of the scarcity of Bagua in the US in those days (I am old), and after coming across one of his Dan Miller vids on Youtube, I was perusing it and a question came to mind.

I remember reading that his teacher never mentioned his own teachers name or lineage. At some point I saw an article or discussion that guessed at it being a yin style variant but still no one knowing. Anyhoo, I like to think, after 17 years of doing this board stuff and talking about ICMA and many years before the net was a thing, that I have as good a general knowledge of bagua and it's styles and variants as anyone on the globe and more than most likely....that being said, however, I know there are people who are vastly more knowledgeable than myself and I'm curious if anyone has managed to reverse engineer or through generic historical knowledge from sources I don't have access to figure out where Parks stuff came from.

Anyway, this purely out of curiosity. If I don't find out it's really no skin off my nose, but in our day and age of access to knowledge lack of info on a secretive subject can be quite the itch to find out. See- the amount of time I spent writing this out.

FWIW.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who has any info.

Best,

S.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: Question about Park Bok Nam

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:18 pm

While it is speculation, Lu Shui Tian's (Park's teacher) second teacher may have been Yin Fu's son-in-law He Jinkui. His first teacher is, Li Ching Wu, is rumored to have also been one of Yinfu's students, but there is no way of knowing for sure. Based on his teaching on the Eight Directional Stepping, that it may have some origins in Plum Flower boxing. However, I have only read this stuff from various authors. Perhaps there is someone who trains this that is more aware of the history of it.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Even if it's true that Lu had studied under Yin Fu's students, chances are he was never a disciple and only got bits and pieces of the Yin style system. I'm saying this because while Park's system displays some of the characteristics of Yin style such as stationary fajin exercises and the use of natural heel-toe stepping in circle-walking, his fighting applications and stepping drills actually look more Xingyi to me than Bagua. My guess is Lu combined the Yin style with the materials from other styles (e.g., Xingyi, Plum Flower Boxing) he'd picked up along the way, and came up with his own art.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby SteveBonzak on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:11 pm

Meh...good gongfu is good gonfu. It works for me and a lot of others. [edit] Sorry, feeling a bit punky right now because of the election. What I mean to say is that in all the years that I have trained with Shifu, I have not really cared to ask more about it. It really did not make a difference in my training, from which I derive a lot of benefit. I think that goes with all of my senior brothers and sisters with whom I train. Not sure anyone knows for sure. [edit]

-Steve
Last edited by SteveBonzak on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby asiawide on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:28 pm

Recent research says the linage is

董海川
宋长荣, 程庭華
王斗 王钟庆, 李敬武 (王宗慶, 李文彪 )
盧水田

李文彪's another name(called name) is 敬武 and it sounds like 'Ching Wu'.
asiawide
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 am

He was also practising zen with Soe San Nim as the final touch of his Bagua .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:20 pm

what was the question?
Rhen

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan