What is your current typical routine for joint mobility?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

What is your current typical routine for joint mobility?

Postby everything on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:10 pm

What are you doing for overall joint health and mobility, and how often? Every day/morning?

E.g, five tibetans, sun salutations, xingyi neigong, GST, some specific yoga routine, Yang long form taijiquan done slow/fast, etc.

Do you do this as a warmup, a workout, a cooldown? Prehab? Rehab?

Or do you only do IMA, BJJ, MMA, weights, whatever, with nothing specific for joints?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: What is your current typical routine for joint mobility?

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Chinese Yoga.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm

Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Gus Mueller on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 pm

I have a very strict "No Bogart" policy.

The better question is "what do you do to harm your joints?"

"Five Tibetans" that's Arica-derived, right? Because actual Tibetans wouldn't call something "blah blah Tibetans".
Gus Mueller

Postby yeniseri on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Gus Mueller wrote:I have a very strict "No Bogart" policy.

The better question is "what do you do to harm your joints?"

"Five Tibetans" that's Arica-derived, right? Because actual Tibetans wouldn't call something "blah blah Tibetans".

Excellent!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:29 am

Don't consume coffee, tea, refined sugar, eat selenium rich food. Now the food part i tend to follow, but for coffee and tea i have no plan to quit( i like it too much). Interesting the "five tibetans" came up here, i was doing some yoga about 25 years ago and came across those five tibetans but never practised them, about a week ago i was thinking about those exercises and looked them up on the net, they seem to be good exercises, maby worth to pick up. I have a hip joint problem that sometimes used to cause me quite some pain, but five years ago i began to practise hunyuan taijiquan which actually seems to have a good effect on the hip joints, guess it is the mabu'ish stances that are predominat through the exercises that does the trick.
Trick

Postby everything on Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:40 am

My perspective has changed due to injuries to my shoulder and ankles so I'm mostly doing very specific joint work for them, but I'm interested in adding more general work as these spots improve.

I started doing Jefferson curls with very light weights. This is fantastic for identifying and working on tight spots in the "posterior chain". I thought it was my hamstrings that are tight but it seems my calves are even worse.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 pm

I do medical >14 meridian qigong</ 20 years +/ as the universal remedy for everything,- once a day as minimum.
this is 20 - 30 minutes set of very simple movement, but amazingly its movin` all body joints.
Never sow it on the net- probably not nuf fancy for outside viewers to publish it .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:26 pm

wiesiek, does the qigong you do put all/most joints in a full or near full range of motion or rotations? The taijiquan forms I like for qigong: 1. I don't get into the low postures low enough. This is my neglect, not an issue with any forms. 2. I don't think the forms themselves have certain joint movements and rotations, so supplementary movements seem like a good idea (I never thought that in the past, probably due to less obvious need for them. Now it seems more obvious that joint mobility should come first, and exercise, martial arts, applications, sparring, etc., should come later.).
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 am

yup,
lot of rotations, for example - place tips of the fingers behind collar bones and doing elbow circles, head circling while supporting dazuhai point, lots up and dawn /squats -you can go as lo as you like :)/ + one leg stances.
However all "externals" moves are reflections of the "mind movin` the qi " and this make it not so easy to learn. You "swimming" thru 12 organs meridians starting from lungs to the liver. Two main -Du and Ren are the final sequence.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 am

A selection of Xiong Wei's Taiji Daoyin.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Greg J on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 am

For me it comes down to thee things. First, daily mobility work (primarily Satria Silat Jurus and staff.) You can check out my staff routine here:

Second, not overloading when lifting weights (I do primarily bodyweight workouts, but also do T-Bar swings and regular deadlifts).

Third, supplementing with Turmeric (I buy it bulk from our local co-op and put it in capsules - it's much fresher, cheaper, and higher quality than pre-packaged tumeric), Omega 3 fish oil (2 grams of combined EPA & DHA), and a glucosamine/ chondroitin blend.

I have a partly herniated disc that has responded really well to this regimen. When it acts up (a couple of times a year) I'll cut out weight bearing exercises, ease up on training (I won't stop, but rather modify it) and get acupuncture. This usually gets me through the week or so of discomfort/ pain and then I can get back into my regular training routine.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby everything on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing. Everyone's routines are more advanced than what I'm doing! Great stuff. The pro of some rehab for my minor ailments is that the exercises have me more motivated to get better at general joint mobility. Took some minor injuries and being middle aged to newly appreciate movement and IMA for pure movement reasons (no applications). ;D
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:50 am

As I am a desk worker and bike commuter i do Wu style bashi qigong every day that I ride my bike just to keep from getting too tight. it takes about 20 minutes or so - generally I'll do it in the morning before riding to work. There's a sample of it on the 'Chu Minyi' video on youtube but AFAIK the whole set is not publicly shown.

On days I don't ride I do the Wu style slow form.

Also after exercising I tend to cool down with a full leg/body stretch mainly focusing on legs but also with back bridges

Occationally I'll go to a relaxed yoga class just to change things up. There was a decent athlete-focused yoga in Brixton in London that I went to Mondays which was a nice way to loosen things up that had been tightened by a weekend of hard cycling (I'd file this under 'rehab' or 'recovery' for sure)
Last edited by vadaga on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:06 am

everything wrote:I never thought that in the past, probably due to less obvious need for them. Now it seems more obvious that joint mobility should come first, and exercise, martial arts, applications, sparring, etc., should come later.).

Absolutely.

For me, general Systema work - basic joint roations, fig 8s, using the stick or sword and ground movement. Recently worked with some professional dancers in Berlin who exhibited great smooth movement, interestingly a lot of their methods were along the same "natural movement" lines, ie not fixed and being an expression of the moment
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan