Taijiquan in MMA and Sanda

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Taijiquan in MMA and Sanda

Postby liokault on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:54 pm

oragami_itto wrote:
Subitai wrote:
Gus Mueller wrote:Do you recognize how extraordinarily offensive, bothersome, and not-safe-space it is to point out that people are obviously "jumping or hopping"? And putting in timestamps, that just racist, man!

I'm not sure if you were being facetious so I just want to apologize if board members have a problem with that. Trying to discuss no racism intended.

Gus is trying to take the piss, mainly directed at me from what I can tell. He's followed me to facebook thinking he's some kind of clever detective and is making reference to issues of social justice that I frequently speak about there in public posts (He didn't respond to the friend request I sent after he started messaging me, pity).

Which I'm sure he'll deny but you'll notice he mentions or makes allusion to me or something I've said in everything he posts.
(I've blocked him, but I do peek sometimes out of morbid curiosity)

He loves me so much he's allowed me to take up permanent residence in his head, rent free. But he won't come visit or even tell me where he lives so I can go learn from him.

As always Gus, you're welcome to come to Austin any time and show me what you've got hiding behind that keyboard.

I would like to say something positive about Adam so as not to assume that I see only bad. Now that I've seen a little more. He displays good skill in just about all the check marks one would expect from someone that would have learned from that many teachers...I think his site says 7 of them?? Good to know and better yet, he's getting his students to mix it up. Again, that's is the way IMO to move the art forward. I don't know about his chi gong, but I'm confident in thinking that it should be very good level.

As I said before I was mostly concerned with the hopping / stutter stepping (and earlier Falling). Those are mainly directed at his students. Thus it affects the demo in question.

I haven't met him. My current Sifu says that Adam is very strong but can't move him the way he does his students or workshop attendees. Everyone else I know who has met him says that as soon as his hands are on you, he owns you. I'm studying his material while getting in person instruction from my Sifu and my skills are growing by leaps and bounds. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can produce similar effects in other people who aren't very good relative to my current level. So, like you're saying, it's more a demonstration of the the difference in level between them than anything else.

Again, he trains with A LOT of Zhang Zhaung.

========================
Now about this:
Post by liokault on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03 am
I assume there is a reason he hasn't posted any video.
Until we see some, this thread is pointless.

Is that directed at me because I said I could do it? Ok, Jeeze, that post was last night (Sunday nite) and I do have a job (today Monday) and just got home. I wonder when I'd have time to make a video to prove something that's pretty common knowledge. That being that there a few lineages that work heavily on the concept of "Yield to emptiness". My school is one of them. So that is why I feel like I have to speak up.

I think he is talking about Adam. Apparently winning a competition doesn't count unless you have a video for people to trash and declare "That's not taiji!" for one reason or another.

I will do it if that's what people need to see. But I would hopefully think that the level of Taiji understanding by most posters here can figure out what I said by the description I gave in my last prior post: 1) and 2) as a valid answer.

More videos are always welcome. :D

There is a wide variance of understanding among posters here concerning how Taijiquan works.

Again when you make someone empty, you don't just STOP and wait to be hit. In my school we say make his energy long (or extended) and after that... you immediately apply a change, be it strike, lock or whatever.

Sure, I think he was just being rhetorical there. One of his other videos admonishes against playing the balance game. I could put 1000 words into this idea, but basically he has some very specific ideas about how to fight with Taijiquan and the more I look at them the more valid I find them.

In his method, instead of leading them into emptiness to the side, you simply empty in place and issue against their center. Emptying to the side is one way to do things, sure, and a good setup to issue against their flank, but, say you're getting punched in the stomach. Instead of needing to do that divert to the side, you yield and neutralize the belly then issue against their outstretched fist through their body with your belly. Language fails, but I think that gets the point across. It's not that leading to the side doesn't work, or that playing with their balance doesn't work, it's that Taijiquan has better methods to deal with those situations.

re: Not a balance trick

It's almost like your trying to justify the cost of a corospondancecourse course to yourself in the presence of overwhelming evidence of being duped by a snake oil salesman.
Last edited by liokault on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:00 pm

lol, not hardly, the value is readily apparent after only a month. It's good stuff.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Rhen on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 am

Looks like a small event, not many fighters probably showed up, and just another usual P.R. stunt from that organization. Cause their other guy got stomped in the cage.

Rhen

Postby willie on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:53 pm

I really find it amazing how people say that Adam is selling snake oil.
The guy has been producing video's of better then average taiji for over a decade, and most notably , not with old men.
How someone could even claim that he doesn't know taiji is just shear stupidity.

lets look at it this way instead. let's say that Adam had to actually use it and he crippled someone for life and was sued.
Then the guy showed the judge his Bio and his video's. Do you think that there is any judge incompetent enough anywhere in the world who would not
except the facts as evidence?
willie

Postby liokault on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 pm

You equate high production values with the ability to cripple?

Yes his videos are smooth, yes he's probably not without a level of skill, but what he's selling is squeezed from many snakes before being bottled.

The fact that he's making money from a corospondancecourse course should be a huge red flag for anyone.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby willie on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 pm

liokault wrote:You equate high production values with the ability to cripple?

Yes his videos are smooth, yes he's probably not without a level of skill, but what he's selling is squeezed from many snakes before being bottled.

The fact that he's making money from a corospondancecourse course should be a huge red flag for anyone.

Ahhh, finally a worthy conversation.
I never met the guy, but i did skype with him years ago, many, many, many times.
He is a nice trustworthy guy.
I even helped send expensive items to him in Thailand or Malaysia, don't remember which.
We each shared many concepts over the net for free.

There are other people doing online coarses as well, there is nothing wrong with that.
Taiji cost money just like everything else does, including Ian who's a favorite, he also has an online pay coarse.

Perhaps you might see it this way.
I'm sure you seen the heat many CMAist are getting online? All the b.s. comments and verbal attacks.
Adam stood up! He takes the heat. if more people would do that then maybe the haters would see that maybe, just maybe
there is still something worthwhile in these arts.
willie

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:31 am

willie wrote:
liokault wrote:You equate high production values with the ability to cripple?

Ahhh, finally a worthy conversation.
I never met the guy, but i did skype with him years ago, many, many, many times.
He is a nice trustworthy guy.
I even helped send expensive items to him in Thailand or Malaysia, don't remember which.
We each shared many concepts over the net for free.

There are other people doing online coarses as well, there is nothing wrong with that.
Taiji cost money just like everything else does, including Ian who's a favorite, he also has an online pay coarse.

Perhaps you might see it this way.
I'm sure you seen the heat many CMAist are getting online? All the b.s. comments and verbal attacks.
Adam stood up! He takes the heat. if more people would do that then maybe the haters would see that maybe, just maybe
there is still something worthwhile in these arts.

I can't say enough about the course, it's very detailed, excruciatingly detailed. Comprehensive information about every nuance that works with whatever flavor taiji you're studying. It's made a discernable difference in the feeling of my form and push hands.

You also get access to a private facebook group with Adam, senior HME students, and other correspondence students if there are any questions about anything.

So far I've actually run into two other local folks who are supplementing their training with the course. One is easily one of the best taiji guys I've put my hands on. The other I haven't actually met in person yet.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan