Pivoting in Xin Yi Liu He?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Pivoting in Xin Yi Liu He?

Postby Wuji on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:37 pm

So I saw a post about pivoting, it got me thinking. The person I've found that im taking lessons from doesn't put too much stress in the pivoting. He said do what feels best for you. I'm wanting to dig more into it then that. In Wing Chun we ether lifted the foot, or we turned on our heels. Mainly because it allowed us to stay grounded, and kwep our line within our footwork.

What I see in Xin Yi Liu He is that it focuses more on turning on the k1 point, or the center of the foot. The main turning I'm talking about here is pivoting at the end of a line, dragon change shoulder is a good example. I have some written reference material, but some of it is so poorly written its very difficult to understand. Thanks for the help!
Wuji
Santi

Re: Pivoting in Xin Yi Liu He?

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:24 pm

The pivoting in XYLH and WC should both be on the center of the foot.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Wing Chun's opening stance pivot on both toes and heels, and pivoting on both feet to turn is not the same as pivoting on one foot.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 pm

As Dr. Fish said - WC pivot is on the centre of the foot.

Regardless of one foot or two.

Yeung wrote:Wing Chun's opening stance pivot on both toes and heels, and pivoting on both feet to turn is not the same as pivoting on one foot.

Are you for real? The body does not pivot at all during the opening stance - which is what the OP was inquiring about.
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Yeung on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 am

Is there a Wing Chun technique that turns inwardly with one leg?
Yeung
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Yeung wrote:Is there a Wing Chun technique that turns inwardly with one leg?

Bro. Do you even do Wing Chun?
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Yeung on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:40 am

The inward turning of a 100% weighted leg can cause injury to the Anterior Cruciate Ligament in any case:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001074.htm

The problem with most practitioners of Wing Chun is that they use their knees to turn, and that can be corrected if they learn their techniques properly. Most Taijiquan practitioners avoided this problem is by doing the inward turn on the weighted leg pivot on the heel.
Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan