hung gar ring training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

hung gar ring training

Postby lenmccoy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Just curious if anyone knows any advantages to the iron rings that some styles like hung gar use on their arms over say ordinary strap on wrist weights or even pieces of metal chain.
Thanks for any wisdom.
Len McCoy
Last edited by lenmccoy on Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Re: hung gar ring training

Postby Subitai on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 pm

lenmccoy wrote:Just curious if anyone knows any advantages to the iron rings that some styles like hung gar use on their arms over say ordinary strap on wrist weights or even pieces of metal chain.
Thanks for any wisdom.
Len McCoy

You know as a Hung Gar Sifu, I'm in a good position to answer this question. I could offer a Online course on this topic and it would be:
By some guy:
"very detailed, excruciatingly detailed..."
;D ;D ;D

Mabe I'll do that in the future coming up but for now...I'll try to help you.

Ring details
- They vary in size and make up. Small rings (< 3" dia) up to large Dragon rings (Finger tip spread width)
- I've seen them from 1/4 lb (thin) to about 2lbs larger size . Rare are the ones much heavier
- Stainless steel is more rare and would be custom made
- Iron(or something more crude) dipped in Chrome steel are cheap and common. Worst choice IMO because if you drop them, they might chip and degrade.
* Best choice is Solid Brass. Brass, is a not only heavy but it is a musical metal. By that I mean what you can use for making instruments. The reason I say this is because of what is called Bone resonance or Bone conduction. The "Ching" sound of the rings colliding resonates through your bone. It is said to be good for it and helps to increase the marrow. Only with quality brass rings does this happen. Unfortunately, they are most expensive, but it's up to you.

Usage:
* In our school for example we would start with 1 ring and progress to a auspicious # of 9. That means if you were a big guy, you'd start with (1) 2lb ring and progress up to 18lbs total. Usually the last ring you put on is a tiny bit smaller to make sure they stay on better. But that's you're choice. When you can move well with just 1 ring, move on to 2 and so forth. Of course you should adjust the weights accordingly to what you can handle.

- Other than the obvious...which is added weight resistance in making you stronger...

- Because of the movement (sliding) of the rings; Arm bridge skin and overall toughening of the flesh happens. You don't get this benefit from strap on weights. I was taught it should be in a healthy way, where massage is also a part of the training, of course with a liniment like Jow.

- focus: adding 1 ring to your left hand for example can greatly help in counter balancing the body. For example, when using a heavy broadsword. It not only adds counter weight but also the mind becomes focused on it in a good way. Yin Yang Some people don't care about the weight and they just want the added focus so they use a bracelet of Jade for example.

- You can also fight and block with them. Of course you'd have to be very accustomed wearing them...so much so that they don't impede your fighting.

I hope this a good primer for you... best, "O"
Last edited by Subitai on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:10 am

They go together and says "clang" when you move. It's not only cool to make sounds with them. You can measure your strength and rythm by listening to the sound. Especially when you practice fast or in long session and want to keep up strength and intensity, it can help you to keep up that intensity. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Jaspalfie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I've been told by an old hung kuen master in Hong Kong that besides some of the points mentioned above, the brass rings are a good gauge of expressing force correctly in straight punches. If a punch is executed correctly and relaxed the sound made is beautiful and bell like but if too stiff or incorrect expression the sound is just clanging and more discordant.
Jaspalfie
Santi

Postby Pavel Macek on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:15 am

Please check out this article:

Do you train with Hung Ga Iron or Brass Rings?

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2014/10/do ... ass-rings/
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan