Safe teaching

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Safe teaching

Postby Bodywork on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bodywork

Re: Safe teaching

Postby dspyrido on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Dan just curious - why all the agression? In video/seminar mode you seem like a different person to your online persona. It's almost like you flip from approachable teacher to agro teen.

And no i am not baiting you.

Perhaps the internet just brings out the worst in people.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Rabbit on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:54 pm

VI've no interest in "convincing" those who can't see the forest for the trees. So, through the years, I've put almost two dozen people who said Daito Ryu and soft training doesn't work..... in the hospital. Then, for some reason.... they get it!'

So who were these 24 people who you needed to put in hospital before they 'got it' and what were the circumstances? Gracies took on all corners
Rabbit
Wuji

Postby johnbecker on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Context is important.

I've followed Mr Harden's writings for a number of years now, going back to e-budo. From what I recall, and I may be missing points, the dialogue essentially started off with Mr Harden saying that some people's interpretation of Aiki, soft skills, was somewhat different from his experience. I believe Mr Harden was only teaching privately at the time and wasn't interested in gaining 'a following', but eventually relented and started doing some workshops because some people could not accept what he was saying, and all along he has been very clear you have to feel this skill in order to understand it. Just looking at videos will only cause people to continue with their previous assumptions.

It gets very old getting attacked for trying to help people on internet forums, and I personally gave up several years ago. I'm amazed-but grateful-that Mr Harden has kept at it for so long, when he doesn't need the BS and has nothing to prove. There is no business empire, online course, DVD set, YouTube channel, etc.

I've not personally met him, but I do know at least one person who attended one of his workshops and they only had good things to say. Also, I don't recall reading a post by anyone who has met Mr Harden that didn't say he had the skills he talks about. Not once, and I know some were clearly hostile in their online posts before they met him.

As for people getting sent to hospital, if you turn up to a class with respect you will almost always be fine. If you turn up with an attitude you may end up getting a 'warning shot' (had a couple of them as a young man). If you can't take a warning, then you may well get hurt. Fighting is surely a serious business, and if someone wants to hurt you, you're going to defend yourself. The martial arts have many such stories as examples.

Time to go as the day job beckons.
johnbecker
Santi

Postby Bodywork on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:59 pm

If one's goal for learning martial arts is to be able to actually use it when push comes to shoves, I'd highly advise against training under teachers who have never put anyone in the hospital -- or never been in the hospital themselves for injuries sustained during fighting, for that matter.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:33 am

Two dozen? No lawsuits or retaliations? If not, you're a lucky guy.

dspyrido wrote:Perhaps the internet just brings out the worst in people.

To be fair... It's very, very hard for everyone to understand how what you write is perceived. When people write, they have their own idea about what they mean and when they read what they have written, they always keep that in mind. So taking a step back and try to understand from other people's POV is very, very difficult. Just look at professional writers or authors, they have exactly the same problem, though they might be more aware of it. Stephen King for instance, has at least five people reading his books and comment on them. He also puts his novels away and won't look at them for at least 3 to 6 months before making the final version. So that's the nature of writing, you become blind to what you write. I myself have learned about this, most due to I work partly as a copywriter and have understood the need to have other people reading, proofreading and editing. And I have slowly come to realise that... well... sometimes your words will tell a lot about you, but not always in the way you think or would like to. Not only your choice of words, but the way you use them and the way you put them together will reveal many, many things about you, like your mood when you wrote it, and maybe even your degree of maturity concerning different matters. Most people don't understand exactly what and how they reveal themselves. Sometimes a person's way of thinking and expressing him or herself on paper is very, very different from how the same person will act and speak in real life when meeting with other people. Then interaction and social skills take place.

...Just some random thoughts... no intent to lecturing anyone. Pls take it for what it is, just some random shit. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnbecker on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 am

Bodywork wrote:Nice touch.
The day job beckons....John Becker's.
And thanks for the intelligent reply.
Dan

You're most welcome.
johnbecker
Santi

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:58 pm

I'd highly advise against training under teachers who have never put anyone in the hospital -- or never been in the hospital themselves for injuries sustained during fighting, for that matter.

I'd prefer a teacher who is able to control the amount if damage inflicted in any scenario. It might be a lot to ask but for me this means they have self control, that is unless they want to put people in hospital.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Mr_Wood wrote:
I'd highly advise against training under teachers who have never put anyone in the hospital -- or never been in the hospital themselves for injuries sustained during fighting, for that matter.

I'd prefer a teacher who is able to control the amount if damage inflicted in any scenario. It might be a lot to ask but for me this means they have self control, that is unless they want to put people in hospital.

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:01 pm

The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Uhm...One may ask. Where did they get such skill? How can that possibly ever have happened? By training in traditional, non confrontational and cooperative practice? How on earth does that happen? Well....it doesn't and it never did.

so you have never diffused a situation without physical contact ? Im guessing your not married then :P

all jokes aside, i know what your saying, i understand, sometimes its necessary just not something i would ever be proud about.

Safe teaching requires control, altercations in life require control, putting somebody in hospital usually involves losing control unless you meant to put them there. Take your pick.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Last edited by Bodywork on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby Mr_Wood on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:14 pm

Im not trying to have a pop at you here dan, what i say is just food for thought, its not all about you, im sure in real life your a good guy, you must present a target for it to become a target.

regards
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan