Applying Internals/Tai chi Chuan to modern arts (BJJ/MMA)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Applying Internals/Tai chi Chuan to modern arts (BJJ/MMA)

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:16 am

Stage 4 is clear - silk pyjamas, stream the celestial consciousness, faijin into the air and build your ice palace!

Stage 5 - acquire minions and/or extra wives. Spread the message. Seminars.

Stage 6 - retirement plan. Set up franchises. Settle law suits. Grow old disgracefully.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:10 am

already have 4
stage 5. made a conscience decision not to share my sifu's work with no one, perhaps fragments only. it will die with me and gone forever.
stage 6 i'm already old.
Last edited by willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Greg J on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:09 am

GrahamB wrote:
Stage 4 is clear - silk pyjamas, stream the celestial consciousness, faijin into the air and build your ice palace!

Stage 6 - retirement plan. Set up franchises. Settle law suits. Grow old disgracefully.

Hahahaha!

Graham, that was hilarious.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby everything on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:27 am

How can we sign up for this six stage program?

Shut up and take my money
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:33 am

My six stage programme can be yours for only $300!!!!!!! - just grab my wrist, no the other wrist, no YOUR other wrist. Now bow to your SENSEI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAXdbHrvU08

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 am

Greg J wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

Hahahaha!

Graham, that was hilarious.

Best,
Greg

that's why you suck...
willie

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 am

everything wrote:How can we sign up for this six stage program?

Shut up and take my money

and you as well.
willie

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:05 am

GrahamB wrote:My six stage programme can be yours for only $300!!!!!!! - just grab my wrist, no the other wrist, no YOUR other wrist. Now bow to your SENSEI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAXdbHrvU08

and if want you're welcome to come over so i can test my fajin on you. but of coarse your purple belt
and shit health version of taiji won't help you...
willie

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 am

Willie - promise me you'll never change. Please.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 am

so enough with the childish games associated with this board. lol!'
willie

Postby Fubo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:51 am

GrahamB wrote:Stage 4 is clear - silk pyjamas, stream the celestial consciousness, faijin into the air and build your ice palace!

;D well played
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:25 pm

choldstare wrote:3. General listening/sensitivity is much better than most bjj practitioners as they're mainly thinking about techniques and setups to apply instead of listening to the person and attaching to their movements and relaxing.

+1

Many people say "my art is also internal". Yet they have a very technical, superficial approach that says the opposite. :P
No listening skill, no Tai Chi combat skill.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:34 pm

That's true of some practitioners, but I've also trained with high level BJJ people that have excellent sensativity, and losts of TJQ people with aweful technical ability... just depends who you meet and get to train with. When making comparisons I find it best to compare the best from each art. BJJ starts from technique while TJQ starts from developing body method and then sensitivity with technique being of secondary concern. Generally It seems that the focus on sensitivity over technique comes in around purple belt (at least the people I e talked to and trained with) though some get it earlier. I've met TJQ people with very good sensitivity in a very limited context, but have very few realistic technical options when dealing with a real fight. The few TJQ guys I met that could actually fight trained and drilled technique. To me it's not about either or, it's a balance of both. You need an understanding of technique so you have options in different positions, but you also need sensitivity and a flexible mind so you can change as needed. If you are technically limited you'll be limited in your ability to change. Principle without application is useless, otherwise all the TJQ guys going into BJJ would be kicking everyone's asses, but that doesn't happen.
Last edited by Fubo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:44 pm

The civil quality is the inner principle. The martial quality is the outward skill. Those who have the outward skill but lack the civil principle will be consumed by reckless glory. Discarding the original purpose of the art, they will try to overpower opponents and inevitably lose.

Those on the other hand who have the civil principle but lack the outward skill will be distracted by meditative expectation. They will have no idea what to do in a fight, and they will be destroyed the moment it turns chaotic. To apply this art upon an opponent, you must understand both the civil and martial qualities.

https://brennantranslation.wordpress.co ... i-fa-shuo/

Principle without application is useless, otherwise all the TJQ guys going into BJJ would be kicking everyone's asses, but that doesn't happen.

The reverse is also true

Their philosophy is to compete while they are young, and save the solo form for later years. They have also been "tested" by many other groups in the park, as well as by many visitors from different counties with different forms of martial arts.

One year, a member of Gracie’s family from Brazil visited the park. Respect was exchanged between the two parties and the agreement on the rules were made. After three short rounds of free style pushing, Gracie went home with dirt on his back.

http://www.wuweitaichi.com/articles/Taipei_Report.htm
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Fubo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:04 pm

windwalker wrote:
Principle without application is useless, otherwise all the TJQ guys going into BJJ would be kicking everyone's asses, but that doesn't happen.

The reverse is also true

I completely agree. My point was that you need both.
Fubo
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan