Running and its effects on qi

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Running and its effects on qi

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:38 am

Well, if running is bad for qi or health, it should be perfectly obvious that fighting is worse.

I think it may be true that ancient Chinese soldiers did not use running as part of their training in any systematized way. That's possible because their battlefield strategies and tactics didn't require their soldiers to run, and ordinary citizens didn't run for work or fun. Ok.

However, that's entirely different from the claim that running is bad for health, which is a complete exaggeration. Walking is bad for health if it's done excess. Anything is bad for health done when done excessively. Doing qi gong 16 hours per day wouldn't be good for one either.

Anyway, another way to describe over-training is "when the rate of injury exceeds the rate of recovery." If it applies to muscles (and muscular energy), it also applies to "qi." That is, if qi can be used up, it can be replenished. The problem would be in using it up faster than it can be restored. The same with breathing and oxygen. Call it moderation, but the point is that it applies to everything, even aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:41 am

I've been running on average 4.5 miles a day six days a week, in minimalist barefoot shoes/sandals at that, for 2.5 years straight now. Haven't had even a serious cold during that time. But, my poor qi must be completely depleted/in shambles by now... ;D
Last edited by Dmitri on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Bao wrote:
johnwang wrote: There is no room left for any further discussion.

Nah, c'mon. There's always room for having a little bit of fun. This is fun! :D

windwalker wrote:Master Shi Ming , was noted for his skill whether one agrees with it or not.

I am not desputing that he is famous...

So is this "master"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_R1ol9flw

And so was this guy... :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URxUs4wdfm0

I like this kind of "Qi-performance" better. It has a much better entertainment value. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp9w70JT61w

sounds like you need to get out to some seminars to open your view a little
I suggest this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85uuZqIZIM&t=149s

“The sweating that comes with running -- or any type of hard exercise for that matter --is another problem. While mild sweating has the effect of detoxification, excessive sweating can also cause too much qi to disperse, depleting the body's qi reserve.

The ancient Chinese understood this very well, which is why qigong or any other health-promoting exercises such as baduanjin and yijingjin are always done at slow-speed, and that running has never been touted as a means to good health.”

@ CJW,

Thanks for presenting an interesting subject that contrast different ideas and thoughts.
A little hard for some to grasp without having a background in it themselves.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:15 pm

windwalker wrote:sounds like you need to get out to some seminars to open your view a little
I suggest this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85uuZqIZIM&t=149s

On that mark you show, there is hands on manipulation of structure only, exactly the same things as I practice and teach myself. I have no need to reach anywhere outward from myself for experiencing that kind of stuff.

IMHO, this clip is very, very different from the other clips shown.

What I meant earlier by Yi vs Qi is better presented by this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlS3fBR2k0
In the middle somewhere of the vid, Wang Pei Sheng explains what he does when he does not touch the opponent as "attacking the mind". Never once he says that he use Qi. These are indeed ways to "attack the mind", but explanations that are far away from the realm of psychology is IMHO something very, very different and something I am not very interested in.

The condescending tone doesn't suite you WW. As I have said several times, I do respect your view very much and I do see value in the things you represent here on the board. But at the same time, I do also believe that you in some respects have a very different experience than most people here. From your own point of view and from your own experience of course everything makes sense. But it's hard for anyone to make one's own experience justice in writing. I sense your frustration WW. There's nothing wrong being frustrated. Some things are just not meant to be discussed. That's why we have the story of Tower of Babel. We really need to meet up and share our different experiences to make sense for each other.

A happy new year to you friend, and I hope you will have a great year. You've earned it. 8-)

/David
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 pm

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:
I suggest this one.

A happy new year to you friend, and I hope you will have a great year. You've earned it. 8-)

/David

lol!
willie

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 pm

-shrug-
Last edited by Bao on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Bao wrote:What I meant earlier by Yi vs Qi is better presented by this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlS3fBR2k0
In the middle somewhere of the vid, Wang Pei Sheng explains what he does when he does not touch the opponent as "attacking the mind". Never once he says that he use Qi.

Western fighters have their own methods of "attacking the mind," although not exactly the same as IMA. Elite fighters get their opponent's to react (attack the mind) by using feints, setting traps, setting patterns and breaking them, deception of distance (i.e., leaning forward), leave an opening to draw an opponent's attack to control opponent's intent, changing direction, vary their power in their punches (i.e., touch, power), attack high, than low, learning opponents reactions, counters, patterns, etc.

Some may argue anybody can do it. However, the elite fighters use these tactics at a subtle, higher level.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:57 pm

Bao wrote:Felt left out Willie? Here's one For you. Happy new year bitch! :D

Did you say bitch? i'll slap the yang right out of you And you'll thank me for it, lol!
Last edited by willie on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan