My first kung fu teacher

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

My first kung fu teacher

Postby wusong on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:04 pm

My first kung fu teacher to who instilled in me a passion for CMA. This is the only easily accessible video I've found of him.

Last edited by wusong on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wusong
Santi

Re: My first kung fu teacher

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Fan, huh?

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby wusong on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:22 pm

Yeah, I'm not a fan myself, I'd much rather have a Pu Dao. The video does showcase his shen-fa.

I think first teachers give first impressions and in my case it made me want to explore more and gave me a solid base to work from.
CMA has astounding diversity even ICMA which is tiny by comparison is still mind boggling in its depth and diversity.

I am grateful that I was set on my way, by this teacher. I am still learning and exploring...

Unfortunately I never learned his fan technique ;)
Last edited by wusong on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wusong
Santi

Postby greytowhite on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I liked his fan performance.

I sometimes wish I had video of my first gong fu teacher. He's a complete unknown in the martial arts world unless you talk to CXW or Betty Dong about the cigar roller. Dude was all set to fly to China and test for his discipleship under Chen Xiaowang but when he found out how much they wanted he jumped ship to Chen Qingzhou's camp and pretty much stopped the xinjia stuff altogether. His Yang performance still retained a very xinjia flavor though. I need to go visit the sumbitch since he moved to Sinaloa.

I cannot find my second teacher for the life of me. I think he gave an alias as he would always talk about his Korean family name but never specified his American father's family name. Dude was a crazy skilled martial artist. He had a 7th dan in Korean TKD and then met Kumar Frantzis and started learning from him. After a while he got tired of Kumar and started learning from Xie Peiqi and He Jinbao. After a good amount of time put in with baguazhang and Wu taiji he then went and learned from Angel Cabales. He really opened the door as to what the wider world of MA was like for me. I had pretty much bought the line that taijiquan was the GRAND ULTIMATE before that time.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan