Year of the rooster

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Year of the rooster

Postby lenmccoy on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
I always find New Year a great time to rededicate myself to training. This year I am going to focus on the rooster. A big part of that is going to be golden rooster stands on one leg. Repeat it like a line technique. See how long I can hold it statically. Work on how it is used in different Tai Chi styles and other martial arts etc.
Question from my limited number of books on Chen Tai Chi I do not see this as a listed technique. Anyone know if Chen uses it?
Also curious how many different Hsing-i rooster forms there are.
Anything else rooster in CMA anyone wants to talk about I am interested in listening.
Thanks,
Len McCoy
Also is there any material when we get to year of the rabbit?
Last edited by lenmccoy on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Re: Year of the rooster

Postby wiesiek on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 am

for rabbit go to the running thread :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby lenmccoy on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Running = rabbit.
Funny that's what my daughter suggested.
Len
lenmccoy
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 am

it is only truth, then
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:12 am

lenmccoy wrote:Hi Everyone,
I always find New Year a great time to rededicate myself to training. This year I am going to focus on the rooster. A big part of that is going to be golden rooster stands on one leg. Repeat it like a line technique. See how long I can hold it statically. Work on how it is used in different Tai Chi styles and other martial arts etc.
Question from my limited number of books on Chen Tai Chi I do not see this as a listed technique.

Anyone know if Chen uses it?
Anything else rooster in CMA anyone wants to talk about I am interested in listening.
Thanks,
Len McCoy

I haven't seen Golden rooster in any of the Chen stuff I looked at.

One story about T.T. Liang that I think about when practising states that when he went to visit and learn from Taoist Monk Yang he was asked to assume that posture. The monk felt his calf and told him it was hard as wood. Then he told his disciple to do the same and had Master Liang feel it and it was soft and supple as an infant.

Some say that he went back to Cheng Man Ching and repeated the experiment and that was the cause of their falling out.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Just remember T T liked a joke
The first thing in tai chi we must seperate the substantial from the insubstantial
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm

One story about T.T. Liang that I think about when practising states that when he went to visit and learn from Taoist Monk Yang he was asked to assume that posture. The monk felt his calf and told him it was hard as wood. Then he told his disciple to do the same and had Master Liang feel it and it was soft and supple as an infant.

Some say that he went back to Cheng Man Ching and repeated the experiment and that was the cause of their falling out.

An Interesting story.

Ben Lo, a noted student of Zhang Man Ching, would stand in this posture and allow others to feel his leg. Amazingly the muscles were flaccid
with no tension in them on the supporting leg. While one might be able to understand what might have been done in order to do it, I have yet to met anyone who could do it besides Teacher Ben Lo.

I can still hear, Ben's words..."taiji is a martial art, like a machine gun takes some understanding of how to use it"

Five basic principles for the development of good Tai Chi Ch'uan skills, emphasized by Mr. Benjamin Lo, are: 1) Relaxation. 2) Separating Ying from Yang. 3) Turning the waist. 4) Keeping the body upright. And 5) Maintaining the hand like a beautiful lady s hand.

http://www.wuweitaichi.com/articles/Ben ... Basics.htm

Many on this site always seem to feel that IMA requires no strength, actually as anyone who practiced in one of Ben's classes would atest it requires a lot of strength the main one being of "song" or understanding what real relaxation means.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:14 pm

So you felt this yourself?
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48 pm

wayne hansen wrote:So you felt this yourself?

Yes.

Ben, would make a point of showing people how relaxed he was demoing this.
It was very strange as the muscles calf, thighs ect. felt like if he was sitting down, very loose
with no obvious tension.

When I used to train in some of his classes, his posture corrections were extremely precise
and very painful. Most people could not hold them for longer then a few min.

At times driving home was iffy, as ones legs would be shot,,,an interesting and skilled teacher.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:51 pm

I experienced his classes as well. Not the rooster demo but the hard standing and his total relaxation as well as the only other mysterious things in MA I've had the pleasure/privilege to encounter. I guess with lots of difficult standing, eventually it becomes easier and you should be relaxed. I wish I could attend his class now as a middle aged student with a different perspective.
Last edited by everything on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 pm

lenmccoy wrote:Hi Everyone,
Question from my limited number of books on Chen Tai Chi I do not see this as a listed technique. Anyone know if Chen uses it?
* Anything else rooster in CMA anyone wants to talk about I am interested in listening.
Thanks,
Len McCoy

Well, lucky me... i'm a Rooster :) just saying...

Anyway, * Just wanted to add that a typical response in our family for Rooster stands on one leg is to rise up directly after needle dives into sea.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:22 pm

I just want to point out that there is a Jinjiduli posture in Chenshi Taijiquan Xinjia Yilu at about two-thirds of the way in. The way my Shifu taught me is [probably] the Yang method (although he studied all major styles of Taiji) and it is very practical. It's like a barrage of left and right hands and kicks at the same time. It makes a good line drill. I don't train forms anymore and have taken out postures that I like and line drill them like this. Jinjiduli is one of them. I like to use it after a hand combo. They never see the feet coming! 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Instead of holding a TJQ chicken posture, I would suggest XYLH's chicken stepping. Start doing a few lines at a time, then work up to doing 10-20 minutes without stopping. I can't find any good clips of it online, sorry.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:25 pm

lenmccoy wrote:A big part of that is going to be golden rooster stands on one leg. Repeat it like a line technique. See how long I can hold it statically.

Not only you should try to hold it as long as you can. You should also try to lift your knee as high as you can to touch your chest. This will require some flexibility training. During training, you can use both arms to hold on your lower leg and pull your knee to touch your chest. Without using both arms, if your upper leg can be

- 45 degree between your leg and your chest, you are very good.
- 90 degree between your leg and your chest, you are average.
- 135 degree between your leg and your chest, you are not so good.

The sad fact is, the older you are, the lower that your knee can lift. :-\

Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:46 pm

"Golden chicken stands on leg" is one of those set phrases that are reused for many CMA styles - if you are standing on one leg, there is a good chance that that is the name of the posture.

The typical "chicken form" of xingyiquan (well, the first part of it) is called that (but the lifted leg is only lifted slightly so), each of the taiji styles seems to have it, many weapon routines have it, too! I don't remember seeing it in (barehand) bagua, but some weapons routines have it (e.g. spear); in bagua, the leg tends to be held higher, like as John says.
edededed
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan