Recovery advice

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Recovery advice

Postby klonk on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:05 am

The muscle cage surrounding the lower abdomen is very important to IMA. How do you rehabilitate a damaged setup? Mine was lately disrupted. I have a new surgical scar from pubis to sternum and a prescription for oxycodone. Several things went wrong in my guts, since fixed, but because of the break in the muscle wall, I am compensating in my motions with side and back muscles. Can I do anything with the ZZ/TCM knowledge I or you possess, to speed recovery?

Specific limitations are no lifting over 40 pounds for six weeks, sit-ups not recommended, light exercise allowed, as tolerated without pain.

Thanks, guys. Sorry I didn't check in with election commentary--I was kinda busy. :D
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Recovery advice

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 am

Best wishes for you swift recovery. I have no specific advice except take it slow and easy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby taoistfist on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 am

I had a surgery that was similar in size and location to yours. i found standing postures very helpful. just small amounts of time at first, slowly increasing in duration. San Ti and hold tree pose i found particularly helpful. daily standing even several times a day but for short periods. i was sooooo weak.
Also very slow forms training. and getting off the meds as fast as possible. i could feel how far i should actually go with training because it hurt without the meds. that was good.
that was 14 years ago and today i am very strong fit and can do anything physically, even take full power shots to the stomach, my doctors told me not to do kung fu for a while but i never stopped.
speedy recovery.
the night is darkest just before the dawn. and i promise you the dawn is coming.
taoistfist
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 am

Watch out for the oxycodone - it's very addictive. I've never had any myself, but apparently it's something of an epidemic in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... 9/37992809

"More Americans now die from drugs than from guns or in car accidents, and increasingly, reports Ian Pannell, the victims are young, white and middle class."
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 am

Agreed that the Oxy is dangerous. It's best to use as little as possible. But, the addiction potential really goes up with the pain level. Oxy addiction rises because it's prescribed so readily.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 am

Why not spend the time in a temple learning or practicing mediation.
This might be more beneficial then trying to get back to some perceived idea of
martial arts. It might be good to understand the roots of what drives the practice.

As a practice it might go along ways in helping to live life and understand ones self.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 am

For solo;
Standing square with feet parallel, do two-handed figure-8s with a long-handled spade, rake, or other light/moderately weighted implement. Maybe just use a broom to start. Make the fig-8s as small as you feel comfortable with, or make them large and easy.

If you have a partner;
Standing square to one another, each of you can hold an end of a broom handle (or two) or whatever and do resistance work with push/pull, raise/lower, to the sides, etc, with whatever resistance is comfortable. You can also do it gripping sleeves.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 pm

I've seen some pretty impressive results using the "surround the dragon" technique in acupuncture cleaning up the scars from this kind of surgery afterwards although it does take a good six months to a year of routine application.

Can't really speak to the rehab side of it as all of the patients involved had their surgery long before showing up on my table.

+3 on being wary of oxycodone. A lot of recent research indicates it was the starting point for the recent heroine epidemic in the US.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Also make sure your nutrition is optimal for healing. Hydrolyzed Collagen and vitamin c are good to ingest for this kind of recover. Easy does it.

Best of luck to you.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Thank you for the good wishes and advice! A few thoughts going forward:

• Tree hug stance seems to be agreeable. I'm working on relaxing and equalizing the abdominal muscles. This causes a peculiar feeling fluttering up and down the incision line, which I hope is therapeutic. I'll try san ti later.
  • The advice about pole weapons seems good--I've long found that the best way to connect hands and belly. I have a long staff but have not gotten outdoors to use it--the weather has been horridly cold.
  • The business where you momentarily harden the front abdominal wall used to be one of my parlor tricks. I tried it today, and it will be a long time before I do it again, because it hurt like hell. It might be a useful gauge on my recovery, later on, if I can again, someday, do that comfortably.
  • Your warnings about oxycodone are spot on. The stuff does a great job of dulling feelings of pain. It also produces as a side effect a dreamlike feeling that all's right with the world, even when everything damned well is not all right. I can see how some people get hooked on the illusion it provides.
  • I hadn't heard about acupuncture for scar tissue reduction!
  • Collagen, check. The medics told me I needed to up my protein intake so I have been eating hot dogs.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:51 pm

May I ask another question on recovery?
What to do to get ridd of plantarfasziitis, and infection of the foot tendon, with hurting heel?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Strange on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 am

GrahamB wrote:Watch out for the oxycodone - it's very addictive. "

yes, be very careful with that
hope you have a speedy recovery, but you should not rush things, take it easy for a while
cheers (i think its best to stay of alcohol for the moment)
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 am

taoistfist wrote:I had a surgery that was similar in size and location to yours. i found standing postures very helpful. just small amounts of time at first, slowly increasing in duration. San Ti and hold tree pose i found particularly helpful. daily standing even several times a day but for short periods. i was sooooo weak.
Also very slow forms training. and getting off the meds as fast as possible. i could feel how far i should actually go with training because it hurt without the meds. that was good.
that was 14 years ago and today i am very strong fit and can do anything physically, even take full power shots to the stomach, my doctors told me not to do kung fu for a while but i never stopped.
speedy recovery.

Hi Klonk
Moxa and ZZ.
Moxa result should be instantaneous, if it work pain reduced.
This happens to the all of us someday, wish you full recovery soon!
Overlord

Postby Greg J on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Klonk,

Great to hear that the surgery was successful and you are on the other side of things. You've gotten some great advice already. For me, when recovering from surgery or an injury I find it helpful to trust (and regularly remind myself of) my body's ability to heal itself and to do as much mobility work around the injury as I can. Gradually I will start to engage the area itself in movement/ activity and build up from there. It is also good to remember that the moment you are able to actually begin training the area itself is the time you are most prone to re-injuring it, so start slow (and light) and scale up gradually from there. Do not make the mistake (of which I am guilty) of trying to jump back to pre-injury / surgery levels of activity right away.

windwalker wrote:
Why not spend the time in a temple learning or practicing mediation.

As a practice it might go along ways in helping to live life and understand ones self.

This is great advice too!

Finally, if you are near a community acupuncture clinic, I would also suggest acupuncture for pain and to facilitate healing. Ditch the oxy ASAP.

Good luck and take care!
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby BruceP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am

klonk wrote:Thank you for the good wishes and advice! A few thoughts going forward:

[*]The advice about pole weapons seems good--I've long found that the best way to connect hands and belly. I have a long staff but have not gotten outdoors to use it--the weather has been horridly cold.

Hey, klonk. I should have been more descriptive, maybe. I was suggesting an exercise that has you holding the implement as you would a sword. Switching hands from front to rear and such.

Was also going to suggest making a practice 'bow' from a 5.5' - 6' length of 3/4" cpvc plumbing tubing and a bootlace, or whatever, so you can work your draw.
Last edited by BruceP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan