Winner Or Loser

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Winner Or Loser

Postby Steve Rowe on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 am

Blog for my students to remind them of what it takes to learn Tai Chi properly.

Winner Or Loser?

So many people just don’t get it.

If you want to be a winner, you have to learn to win more than you lose.

Firstly you have to decide who and what you want to be.

If you want to be a good traditional martial artist then you have to do more work in that direction than in any other.

It’s your choice. Draw a line in your life and call it ‘Zero’. Every moment you are mindful, in good posture, breathing properly, caring, polite, courteous, determined, resolute, courageous and working with emotional intelligence you are in the + zone, every moment you are doing the opposite, you are in the – zone. at the end of the day, how many hours did you spend in which zone?

Obvious really.

People tell me they want to be good at Tai Chi, then I see them working on how they look to others, worrying about how others perceive them, becoming arrogant and boastful, doing exercises and techniques that stiffen their body and require aggressive, external, muscular force, and when they come to see me, they’ve got worse not better, they’ve done more work in the – zone than in the +. It’s all a question of balance and direction.

Tai Chi requires good posture, breathing and the right ‘Taoist’ attitude toward life and others, this is developed by constantly working with neigong (inner work) with meditation and standing postures and then development of the neural system, bodycore, spinal flexibility, open joints and myofascia, this is developed through the qigong (energy work) these skills are the underlying principles that are preparation for the dynamics and strategies that are then expressed through the techniques using kung fu (time and effort) with persistent practice in the + zone.

A Tai Chi body and mind is unique and cannot be trained in any other way than the prescribed method unless you want to become something else. So few people ever get around to learning the whole system.

Private, personal study is essential and this needs enough mentoring from someone that is able to pass the complete perspective along. If you don’t have sufficient ‘corrections’ to keep you on the right path, your training will degenerate without you realising. It’s too easy to miss those vital mentoring sessions because life gets in the way and there are always financial, business and family pressures, but the price of not taking them is also very, very, expensive and good mentors are very few and far between, have pressures of their own and are not there forever. Lose one and for the rest of your life you’d wish you made those sessions.

So every day be mindful of staying in the + zone, understand that this will determine your success or failure. The term ‘Buddha’ means ‘one who is awake’ – you need to become your own Buddha and stay awake and in the + zone and never drop into the – one. Every night before you lay your head on the pillow, ask yourself the question and count the hours of + and – and the answer as to why you are or are not successful will be self evident.

It’s simple, but simple is not always easy.
Last edited by Steve Rowe on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Re: Winner Or Loser

Postby Strange on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Steve Rowe wrote: People tell me they want to be good at Tai Chi, then I see them working on how they look to others, worrying about how others perceive them,

i think this is a very big problem for taiji,...
what you say is correct
something is wrong with the mind

they dun want to lose
they want to gain
pride, prestige, power, strength and have it on their body

if internal art one makes to become external, maybe still ok, this is due to individual perception level
if taking care of what others think, this reach to the level of superficial and vanity
and new beginners may think it is the correct way
Last edited by Strange on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Zonker on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:57 am

Steve Rowe wrote:Blog for my students to remind them of what it takes to learn Tai Chi properly.

Winner Or Loser?

So many people just don’t get it.

If you want to be a winner, you have to learn to win more than you lose.

Firstly you have to decide who and what you want to be.

If you want to be a good traditional martial artist then you have to do more work in that direction than in any other...

Great reminder! Thanks!
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm

In Taiji you must loose more than you win - that is the road to excellence. And in my opinion, any type of physical exercise (including weight training and aerobics) is complementary to any martial art.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan