The Dan Tian

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Dan Tian

Postby charles on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Taste of Death wrote:If Mike Sigman is as good at cando bar training as he is at right wing propaganda his students must all be ninjas by now.
https://www.facebook.com/mike.sigman?fref=nf&__nodl

Aside from being irrelevant to the current discussion, it is unnecessarily unkind. There is a lot of unrest in the world, particularly now in the U.S., due to people holding opposing views on what is "right".

One can be part of the problem and further that unrest or one can be part of the solution and try to bring more harmony to the world. Each of us has a choice of which we want to be. You can only control yourself and your own behaviour: you can't control what everyone else thinks and how they behave.

Let's strive to demonstrate the best of what humans can be, not the worst. Sorry if that sounds like a sermon.

I'd love to have you contribute something relevant to the current discussion.
Last edited by charles on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby xxxxx on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:40 pm

A self-moderating thread . . . nice.

We'll just add, for everyone, please keep the thread on topic. If you've got nothing but vitriol for a particular person or practice, go off to your own dark little corner of the Internet. We can help you get there if necessary.

Thanks.
xxxxx
Global Moderator

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 pm

[urlImage][/url]
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 pm

charles wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:If Mike Sigman is as good at cando bar training as he is at right wing propaganda his students must all be ninjas by now.
https://www.facebook.com/mike.sigman?fref=nf&__nodl

Aside from being irrelevant to the current discussion, it is unnecessarily unkind. There is a lot of unrest in the world, particularly now in the U.S., due to people holding opposing views on what is "right".

One can be part of the problem and further that unrest or one can be part of the solution and try to bring more harmony to the world. Each of us has a choice of which we want to be. You can only control yourself and your own behaviour: you can't control what everyone else thinks and how they behave.

Let's strive to demonstrate the best of what humans can be, not the worst. Sorry if that sounds like a sermon.

I'd love to have you contribute something relevant to the current discussion.

Hmmm....relevant, huh? Well, just because it's been so long...Ahem...."FUCK MIKE SIGMAN!!!".

Best of what humans can be...please...

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby symmetry on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I just want to add that as a nearly 20 year practitioner of taiji, I bought your first "foundations" video and got a lot out of it. The instructions and exercises were very clear, and the honest, straight-forward presentation felt like a breath of fresh air and a gift to the IMA community. Charles, you should not look for consensus agreement for your next video series, just put out what makes sense to you. I and many others will look forward to viewing it and working with the material.
symmetry
Santi

Postby charles on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks, symmetry, that's very kind. I appreciate the encouragement. As many days as not, I think I'm nuts for even thinking about doing this. Who the hell am I to be doing this anyway?

I'm not actually looking for consensus agreement.

I knew from the onset, 5 years ago, that volume 2, on silk reeling, was going to be the most difficult. It has been. But, after a large number of re-writes and scrapped scripts, I've pretty much figured out what I want to get across and how to do that. This discussion isn't about my trying to figure out what I should say or what exercises I should include. It isn't about my trying to understand the core material by learning it from others on this forum - I spent enough years doing that under the guidance of skilled practitioners.
Last edited by charles on Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Finny wrote:Unfortunately I have no answers here, only questions - I think it's a great, clear thread you've started Charles, hopefully we can keep on track now..

I've always wondered what is(are) considered THE exercises most critical for (physical) dantian development?

Are there different methods which produce markedly different results in the practitioners body? What I'm wondering more specifically is whether the distinction between the characteristic Chen 'spiraling', 'silk reeling' type of dantian work and the more explicitly vertical dantian rotation developed with Dai shi squatting monkey work.. are they completely different methods of dantian use, or just variations on a theme?

In short, nothing to add other than the above curiosity, and thanks to Charles for starting the thread (and any who can contribute)..

BUT.. reading GBs post above... brings this to mind for me:

Hi,

Not posted in here, for a while, but saw a video of my teacher posted and thought I would say "Hi" and let you know you can ask me anything in relation to DXYQ dantian practice.

Jon aka Dai Zhi Qiang
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Hey JD - was going to mention you as another potential source regarding the distinction..

What's your view - do you have any knowledge/experience with Chen style to compare the two? is there a distinct difference between the Dai style dantian development, which to my uninformed eye looks mostly a vertical rotation type of movement, and the more diagonal, spiraling silk reeling Chen dantian work? Or are they both just variations on use of the same mechanics, and a well developed Dai exponent would be capable of doing the silk reeling style stuff, and vice versa?

Or am I just asking a stupid question? Needless to say I don't know enough to know what i don't know, so am happy to stand corrected.

Charles,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, that clarifies a lot.

I've seen your videos mentioned here a fair bit - can you post a link? Would love to get myself a copy of the first video, and will look forward to the silk reeling one.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:52 am

Hi Charles,

Yes, Beng Chuan would be moving the dantien sideways not really rotating it in a circle - sorry I misunderstood what you were asking there. Also since the sideways movement is technically a rotation in space as well (no stepping involved) of the dantien I misunderstood. You could do Heng chuan with a horizontal dantien circle, but I'd say this is no longer the clear, obvious thing you want for beginners, and also depends what style of Xingyi you do.(Heng Chuan's vary greatly amongst styles)

I'd disagree that opening and closing the torso is the very basis of 'internal' movement (to paraphrase you, hopefully not incorrectly).

I'd say that 'basic jin' is the basics. Get somebody to push into your structure and bounce them back, but directing their force to the ground, so that they are effectively pushing themselves back off the ground. Your body will automatically form a jin path if you can keep your structure good and stay 'song' - relaxed. This is what Yi Quan people (in particular) show a lot of. For 'basic jin' to work on a basic level there's no need to open and close much of anything. Opening and closing helps store and release even more power, so my understand is that you get into that when you want to do the 'full banana' of a faijin.

For basic jin I'm taking about stuff Mr Sigman shows in his recent analysis of an old Judo kata - video here:

https://taichinotebook.wordpress.com/20 ... rnal-judo/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 am

IMO the whole thing could be summed up to:

- Use your body mass
- Use the ground
- Never use isolated strength
- Never compromise your stability (!)
- Use opposing forces

Doing exaggerated movements (like extreme opening and closing, doing spinal waves, vibrating your arms) is violating these principles.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:44 am

Finny wrote:Hey JD - was going to mention you as another potential source regarding the distinction..

What's your view - do you have any knowledge/experience with Chen style to compare the two? is there a distinct difference between the Dai style dantian development, which to my uninformed eye looks mostly a vertical rotation type of movement, and the more diagonal, spiraling silk reeling Chen dantian work? Or are they both just variations on use of the same mechanics, and a well developed Dai exponent would be capable of doing the silk reeling style stuff, and vice versa?

Or am I just asking a stupid question? Needless to say I don't know enough to know what i don't know, so am happy to stand corrected.

Charles,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, that clarifies a lot.

I've seen your videos mentioned here a fair bit - can you post a link? Would love to get myself a copy of the first video, and will look forward to the silk reeling one.

I am sort of familiar with Chen Shi Taiji Quan, but wont comment on what they do or don't do, these things take many years of hands on practice to really, "get".

To limit DXYQ dan tian development with just the vertical plane is not correct, though that is the fundamental vector trained in "dun hou shi" aka squatting monkey etc.

We also have other basic movements which train horizontal and diagonal movement as well.

"She Xing", "Yow Zi Ru Ling Bang" "dou guin", "mo jian/mo jian" all train these other sideways and diagonal motions.

Jon
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby littlepanda on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:33 am

Dai Zhi Qiang wrote:
Hi,

Not posted in here, for a while, but saw a video of my teacher posted and thought I would say "Hi" and let you know you can ask me anything in relation to DXYQ dantian practice.

Jon aka Dai Zhi Qiang

Hi Jon,
I've read your blogs and seen some DXYQ videos. very good info. thanks.

Squatting monkey and other stepping methods definitely makes your legs and spine strong and powerful. but i'm at loss to understand how power from the dantian is transferred to the arms. How do you connect the arms to the dantian? Are there any specific exercises to connect the dantian to the arms?

Last edited by littlepanda on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby charles on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:13 am

GrahamB wrote:Yes, Beng Chuan would be moving the dantien sideways not really rotating it in a circle

Thanks.

I'd disagree that opening and closing the torso is the very basis of 'internal' movement (to paraphrase you, hopefully not incorrectly).

Interesting. See below.

I'd say that 'basic jin' is the basics. Get somebody to push into your structure and bounce them back, but directing their force to the ground, so that they are effectively pushing themselves back off the ground. Your body will automatically form a jin path if you can keep your structure good and stay 'song' - relaxed.

If you push against a wall, you will "effectively" push yourself off the wall. If you push on a human who has "automatically formed a "jin path" to the ground" you "effectively push yourself back off the ground". What is the difference between the human creating the "jin path to the ground" and the wall? In both cases, you are pushing on something that is functioning as a static, non-moving rigid structure. Put the guy pushing in a light-less room, and he can't tell the difference between pushing himself off of a wall or a human who has a "jin path to the ground".

Other than one being inanimate and the other animate and organizing its structure to become sufficiently rigid in the direction of the force (and moment) what's the difference? Do we call what the wall does as also automatically forming a "jin path" to the ground? Does it become "jin" because a human organizes his "stuff" to emulate the structure of a wall?

I understand that this is intended to be an introductory exercise for the development of certain basic concepts and abilities and one has to start somewhere. The next step in the progression is that one starts to apply this to a force that is changing direction, so that one moves the "jin path" around to always maintain a path between the point of contact and the ground. The body is then a semi-rigid conduit in which one end is always on the ground and the other end at the point of application of the opponent's force. This, by the way, is exactly the same as the 90's material.

Where do you go from there: what's the next step in that progression? Or is that the basis for the entire art of Taijiquan, moving the conduit around?

This is what Yi Quan people (in particular) show a lot of.

I don't practice Yi Quan. Any practitioners who can comment on their practice, particularly if they engage in this practice?

For 'basic jin' to work on a basic level there's no need to open and close much of anything.

Okay. To use your example, above, you are standing there and someone starts pushing on you. You "automatically form a "jin path" to the ground" but the person pushing doesn't push themselves away, but, they have applied a force to you. For simplicity of discussion, assume the applied force is constant and unchanging in direction. Just standing there like a wall (i.e. statically, with a jin path to the ground") now what? If you decide to move, rather than just stand there all day, theory has it - same as Mike teaches - that movement occurs through opening and closing of something. No opening, no closing, no movement. Opening and closing is how one moves. Check your notes. Mike teaches that. The opening and closing can be as large or as small as you like.

Opening and closing helps store and release even more power, so my understand is that you get into that when you want to do the 'full banana' of a faijin.

If you don't want "full banana" fa jin, where does the "half-banana" fa jin come from? What is its source or mechanism? Is the 1/2 version a different set of physical mechanics than the full?

For basic jin I'm taking about stuff Mr Sigman shows in his recent analysis of an old Judo kata - video here:

https://taichinotebook.wordpress.com/20 ... rnal-judo/

I'm not going to go too far down that rabbit hole since Mike can't be here to rebut my comments - I'll end up being discussed on Facebook, like last time.

6:58 reminds me of a two-person exercise that I learned from Sam Masich, also back in the '90's. The exercise illustrates "dependence". Stand facing your partner. Extend your arms in front of you so that your palms are in contact with your partner's palms. Now step back, while maintaining the palm-to-palm contact. Step back far enough that both of you are leaning inward significantly. Not bent forward at the waist, but the whole body leaning towards each other. In this position, both of you are completely dependent on the other. If one of you suddenly disappeared, the other would fall forward. If you move your hands around, your partner cannot stop you from doing so and his hands move with yours. He has no choice. Ditto if he moves his hands, you have no choice but to follow. You are codependent.

Next, while maintaining palm-to-palm contact, YOU step forward so that you are entirely upright, while your partner remains leaning heavily. As before, as you move your hands around, he cannot help but follow your hand movement. However, if he attempts to move his hands, you can very easily stop him, just by not allowing yours to be moved. If your partner suddenly disappeared, you would be left standing there. If YOU suddenly disappeared, your partner would fall. The movement of his arms and hands and his balance is entirely dependent on you, while you have no dependancy on him.

What one can learn from this very simple exercise is that you don't want to be codependent. Worse still is to be dependent upon your partner/opponent. Best is to have your partner/opponent's movement and balance dependent on you while you are free to move and are entirely independent of him - "I know my opponent but he does not know me". One can go further and examine what physical actions result in each of the three situations, but I'll leave that for others.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out what, if any, relevance that has to what's shown at 6:58.
Last edited by charles on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:17 am

For me it's the same. The point you can feel in your center is exactly the point used physically in physical movements as the absolute center for every movement of the body. Everything else called the dantian is something else. I wouldn't separate the concept into two different things. However, there are concepts that might be more useful for teaching as hips, kua/gua, waist, hara etc. The dantian is IMHO something you need experience to understand and it's too much mysticism surrounding this concept.

What would this something else be if its called a dantian, many practices talk of 3.
What is the mysticism that surrounds it?

This discussion isn't about my trying to figure out what I should say or what exercises I should include. It isn't about my trying to understand the core material by learning it from others on this forum - I spent enough years doing that under the guidance of skilled practitioners.

Then what is about?

Typically, the beginning student of Taijiquan is taught something called "silk reeling exercises" (chan si gong) and/or empty-hand forms. Once introduced to these, the student usually just keeps plugging along, practicing the same choreography they were taught over and over again. In the teaching of these things, the teacher often speaks of some mysterious things called "qi" and "the dan tian". Some teachers will speak of moving and "rotating the dan tian" and "circulating the qi".

You make an assumption about many practices and reasons for doing so. I’ve already posted a clip showing this is not necessarily true. I could post many clips and recount my own experiences that seem to be different. The mysterious things mentioned are not so mysterious within the culture that they come from.
However they may not help one or make clear to those practicing the why and what. I had a native speaker recently tell me “ Until I met you, I could read it and understand it. Your approach makes the most sense and makes a lot of things very clear”

I actively discourage thinking along the lines mentioned as I've found it to be more of a hindrance then helpful until a certain level is reached.

It is surprising how often these things are mentioned, but how difficult it is to provide simple, direct, functional working descriptions of the terms that are constantly thrown around and how to effectively develop these things.

Another assumption. It’s not difficult but why would one do this?

You’ve already said its not something you need to know about about having your own ideas,
why would anyone post their’s.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:24 am

that movement occurs through opening and closing of something. No opening, no closing, no movement. Opening and closing is how one moves. Check your notes. Mike teaches that. The opening and closing can be as large or as small as you like.

A ball rolling on the ground has no open or close.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan