Training in Water

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Training in Water

Postby KEND on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 pm

For the last few weeks I had access to a swimming pool and used it to experiment with exercises etc. I understand that water exercises are used extensively in rehab. Since the buoyancy of the water relieves stress on joints.
First I tried 5 element forms. I found it had benefits to train with arms completely submerge, the water providing resistance and boosting internal power. It also gave some insight into making movements continuous and flowing.
Next I tried to ‘run’ in the water, it became ‘slow running’, exercising the muscles without stressing the joints. I found that I became quite proficient and would do 10 laps every morning.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Training in Water

Postby Yeung on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Use a snorkel and do Zhan Zhuang to experience the sensation is really interesting.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:11 pm

It also gave some insight into making movements continuous and flowing.

Yeah, the added resistance makes [edit] the importance of aero-dynamics obvious. I think there's plenty of value in working out in water. Plus, it makes it easier on the knees.
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Interesting... :)

Zhanzhuang would be hard because your body would want to float??
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Ali H2O
http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/blogs/all-blogs/sotheby-s-at-large/2016/04/muhammad-ali-underwater-photos.html

The 19-year-old boxer, then still known as Cassius Clay, was training in the pool when Schulke arrived to discuss the shoot for Sports Illustrated. He explained to the photographer that a previous trainer had encouraged him to practice in the pool as the water resistance acts just like weight.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:27 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Interesting... :)

Zhanzhuang would be hard because your body would want to float??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwRGrPquJU

The use of a snorkel helps with the breathing, anyway I will let you know more when I get back to the pool for training.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:09 am

Taste of Death wrote:Ali H2O
http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-video/blogs/all-blogs/sotheby-s-at-large/2016/04/muhammad-ali-underwater-photos.html

The 19-year-old boxer, then still known as Cassius Clay, was training in the pool when Schulke arrived to discuss the shoot for Sports Illustrated. He explained to the photographer that a previous trainer had encouraged him to practice in the pool as the water resistance acts just like weight.

It is not just like weight, it's better. Weight is just downward force (gravity), whereas water provides resistance in any direction that you move.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby wkfung108 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Yeung wrote:
The use of a snorkel helps with the breathing, anyway I will let you know more when I get back to the pool for training.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you didn't think us so stupid we needed to be told what a snorkel is for.
wkfung108
Santi

Postby Yeung on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:09 pm

wkfung108 wrote:
Yeung wrote:

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that you didn't think us so stupid we needed to be told what a snorkel is for.

Sorry about this, I was thinking about weightless training underwater and a snorkel should be good enough for training in a deep enough pool.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Be aware that training in water has not the same beneficial effects on your bones. To stimulate osteogenesis bones need tension/compression, water rather provides relief.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan