Worth it to Learn..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Worth it to Learn..

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Fighting can be in different levels.

1. battle field.
2. street.
3. tournament.
4. unfriendly challenge.
5. friendly challenge.
6. spar/wrestle.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm

johnwang wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:John, are you a professional martial artist, or do you have a day job?

I don't have job for the past 13 years. CMA was my full time job for the past 13 years. I can get all my health benefit from my running, bicycling, swimming, and weight training. I did Marathon, triathlon, iron men training for "health".

So maybe that's one of our differences. I have a full-time day job that leaves me little time for practice. What practice time I do have is primarily for strength training, aerobics and Taiji form practice. Too damned old to duke it out anymore.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:So maybe that's one of our differences. I have a full-time day job that leaves me little time for practice. What practice time I do have is primarily for strength training, aerobics and Taiji form practice. Too damned old to duke it out anymore.

When I was

- 4 in kindergarten, I started my first fight.
- 5 in 1st grade, I got into fight almost everyday during lunch hour and after school. I still remember one day I swung a bloom and fought against my whole class.
- 6 in 2nd grade, one day I bite on a girl's arm, made her cry, so she won't beat me up everyday.
- 7, after I found out that my Taiji teacher taught me Taiji for health, I left him.
- 11, my brother in law taught me Lou Han. When he found out that I liked to fight, he forced me to train 1 step 3 punches for the next 3 years.
- 14, the 1st day of my long fist class, I asked my long fist teacher what would he do if I punched on his face.
- 17, a gang member wanted to kill me. I started to carry knife 24/7.

My mom must dropped my head on the ground when I was a baby.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 am

johnwang wrote:Fighting can be in different levels.

1. battle field.
2. street.
3. tournament.
4. unfriendly challenge.
5. friendly challenge.
6. spar/wrestle.

So true, may I include that police/bar as professional context.
Overlord

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:30 am

Ron Panunto wrote:
johnwang wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:John, are you a professional martial artist, or do you have a day job?

I don't have job for the past 13 years. CMA was my full time job for the past 13 years. I can get all my health benefit from my running, bicycling, swimming, and weight training. I did Marathon, triathlon, iron men training for "health".

So maybe that's one of our differences. I have a full-time day job that leaves me little time for practice. What practice time I do have is primarily for strength training, aerobics and Taiji form practice. Too damned old to duke it out anymore.

All with you on t his one, Ron: Full time job, a Taitai (!), a dog, an organic garden, writing and translating on my arts. So if I can manage 10 hrs. of training a week (maybe 2hrs. partner work), I feel happy. And after severals serious injuries, the last one with 54, I do take it easy with 58.

Using MA in any public circumstances has become illegal in Taiwan, so Master J. Wang, you better do your fighting in the US of A, lol!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:37 am

And you can't afford to get hurt.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:
Using MA in any public circumstances has become illegal in Taiwan, so Master J. Wang, you better do your fighting in the US of A, lol!

its illegal in taiwan to use martial arts in public.. ???

does that mean illegal to fight in a general sense?
or illegal if they find that you used martial arts in a fight?

public/private?

wondering what the actual law is here...
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

When I was in Taiwan, besides competed in tournament, challenge fight was still legal. You could get a lot of fighting experience just by doing that. Just 3 months ago, I wrestled 2 wrestlers in the park. It was 100% legal.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:15 pm

johnwang wrote: Just 3 months ago, I wrestled 2 wrestlers in the park.

I don't think everyone reading the RSF realise your age... And for us "Old Ones" it's easy to forget it by your stories and the vids you publish. Pretty amazing. 8-)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm not sure if it's legal here, but it happens a lot. It's all part of the experience.. ;D
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 pm

十步杀一人,千里不留行。事了拂衣去,深藏身与名。
Kill your opponent in 10 steps. Even 1000 miles distance cannot stop you. After the killing, you shake your shirt and leave. Nobody will know your name and who did the killing.

Legal or illegal was never an issue during the ancient time.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:36 am

Franklin wrote:
taiwandeutscher wrote:

its illegal in taiwan to use martial arts in public.. ???

does that mean illegal to fight in a general sense?
or illegal if they find that you used martial arts in a fight?

public/private?

wondering what the actual law is here...

In any conflict, private or public, if you use MA skills, you can be sued and tried for "using weaponry on body", rather expensive (1,5 - 2 mil for a few strikes or kicks).
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:32 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Over the years in China I've met and learned from many teachers, some of them masters of traditional arts, both short and long term. Some only for a few sessions. In most cases they imparted some sort of wisdom on me. The Youku video in the post about Che style Xingyiquan got me thinking about my three months of intensive study with a Xingyiquan master last year

He had great power to be sure. He looked like Yoda and was about the same height. His Gongli was quite incredible. He was over seventy years old, but still going strong. But he wasn't a fighter. Rather, over time, I came to find out that he was a really fucking stubbourn form fanatic. Still, he grinded Wuxingquan for God knows how many years and his master before him was a master.

So, I grinded mostly Piquan for three months for four hours per day, most days. I ended up quiting because he wouldn't let me work on my own things and there were very few people to spar with in that park, but it really solidified my footwork and increased the power of my other techniques. I also learned some cool Gongfa exercises.

In conclusion I think that it's very important to learn from a master that can fight and either regularly spars with you or has you spar with his other students regularly. You should study with this master long term and try to absorb as much of his hands-on knowledge as possible. After you can already fight, if you meet other masters that have skills you want it is definitely worth it to learn a thing or two from them. Gongfu should not be learned in a vacuum. It never was in the past either. Ancient fighters learned from whoever they could, even their opponents! We should do the same. Train hard! 8-)

Pi and Beng are great.
Overlord

Postby Franklin on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:29 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:In any conflict, private or public, if you use MA skills, you can be sued and tried for "using weaponry on body", rather expensive (1,5 - 2 mil for a few strikes or kicks).

ok so thats just the non criminal court-
the civil division..
dealing with all sorts of lawsuits and black mail...
basically anyone can sue you for anything related to anything...

or is it also a criminal charge?

the legal system here is seriously jacked up...
Last edited by Franklin on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 am

Sued by the state, it's a criminal charge, private one did not follow thru in my aquaintance's case, after the other side noticed that a criminal charge by the state has been unintentionally started.
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan