Teacher in China and living in China...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Teacher in China and living in China...

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:00 am

Be prepared for the culture shock.

grzegorz wrote:Chinese tourists behaving badly - Tomo News

https://youtu.be/lRJOYOaz45c
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 am

To be fair this video explains some of why mainlanders are the way they are.

https://youtu.be/ZLOiUDqYfdU
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Taiwan's got its own load of problems but it would be a much easier transition than China. In Taipei a lot of young people have passable English and in general it's a much safer place than the US. I felt perfectly safe walking around at 2 AM. Be aware of random scams (mostly phone scammers) though and you should be fine.
XYLH is pretty rare in Taiwan but it's much more important to pick a good teacher than a specific art. Good teachers are rare everywhere, but since everything's so packed there you can easily search for another if one doesn't suit you.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:22 pm

I agree on good teachers being more important than the art itself.

Of course seek out your art but stay open-minded too otherwise it would the same as saying I only go out with brunettes when all along what you really need is a blond. -break-
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby chenyaolong on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:43 am

I just had a quick browse through the last 3 pages, so sorry if I missed something.

I had wanted to study XYLH in Shanghai, and went around a few teachers. A few people on here know how my experiences went. In a nutshell, a lot of them have you running around in circles while teaching as little as possible. The Shanghai MA circles seem particularly "political". I had a much better experience with Mantis in Shandong.

If you have a kid, I wouldnt suggest smaller cities, as the facilities: schools, hospitals, police etc are all shit. Bigger cities will have high level international schools, real doctors and much better quality of life.

Sorry, I dont post on here much anymore, Im living in Shanghai, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Ill do my best to help out.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan