Teacher in China and living in China...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Teacher in China and living in China...

Postby phil b on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:09 am

Taiwan isn't all it is cracked up to be. The public education system isn't that great and private education is horribly expensive. There is a lot of kung about, but most of it is of a pretty low standard, not to mention that many teachers have a nose for the money when they see a white face. There are a few good teachers if you know where to look. The standard of living is ok, but the cost of living is not in line with salaries, especially in the north.
As for teaching English; if you are happy teaching kids then finding work is not hard. If you want to teach adults or business English it is a different story.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:56 am

Wuji wrote:I don't know about China much at all, outside of the bit that I have read. I spent a large portion of my life in Mississippi, which up until recently had one of the lowest minimum wages in the country, an a huge cost of living (at least, it's on par with Oregon, so the cost of living compared to what you make is terrible). I haven't been to the area lately, but it was pretty bad when I was there. The children would bully the teachers (I saw a 12 year old beat the crap out of a teacher when I went to school). The level of poverty was so low that most people had 2 jobs to survive. I mean, 200 a week on a full time job, before taxes. Nearly impossible to live on. Not saying one is worse then the other, an I know as far as the States go, there are far worse areas to live in.

Your teacher sounds really cool! I would absolutely love to meet him. When I'm done with this, I'm going to go check those pictures out. My teacher learned from Yu Hualong directly, though from what I understand he was in China for only a year. He learned from some other people too, though as far as what he learned from Shrfu Yu Hualong, I think in the next year I'll be coming up on what he had learned (from him anyway). Me and my teacher get along very well, and I love how he teaches. I just want to continue on with what I want to learn. It oesn't have to be China, I'm happy with Taiwan too. I just know as far as allowing people in, and teaching, China is a lot more easy going. I have a friend who didn't even have a Diploma/GED when he went to teach. If I recall, technically the Chinese Government more or less suggests a degree be had to teach, but it isn't always possible.

The same guy ended up tutoring people privately and made way more then he said he ever did teaching. He said private tutoring/teaching was what really worked for him. So, lets play this out in two scenarios. China, and Taiwan. If I came to where you're teacher is Maarten, how is it living and teaching there? is it affordable for a three person family? We don't live on a lot right now. Right now we are living on my student loans mostly, the grant is mostly sucked up for my classes and books. Loans, a paper route (900 a month), state assistance, etc. All together we end up with about 17k. Which is enough, but barely. It doesn't leave much left over. How would living there on a teachers salary compare to what I'm getting right now? Also, who is the XYLH teacher that you speak of in Henan?

On the other side, what would be the difference to living in Taiwan? It kind of seems like it would be less of a culture shock, and education would be easier. e're really thinking about home schooling, just trying to still figure out ways to get social experience for our son. I don't plan on staying anywhere right now, ideally we want to travel for a few years. Though at some point, we do want to buy a house. From what I've looked at, Taiwan is awesome. China did scare me a little bit for the long term because of the pollution. There are to companies (start ups) in Oregon alone that are trying to sell clean air to the Chinese people. Literally, clean, local air, in bottles. I also think that growing up in a different country would provide a lot of benefit that you don't find in America. One of those being that a second language is common, if not a third language. Also, the idea of teachings more hands on with book learning makes a lot more sense, and is far more engrossing of a teaching method.

Why talk about a volcano and show pictures when you live close to one and can go to it physically? Being able to both read about something, write about it (like essays), and being able to physically see it and experience it brings about a new level of learning. American history as the most boring subject to me. Even World History, even though I love it. Sitting in a class room and just memorizing facts instead of experiencing and feeling the history, it's a big difference. Would you remember more about the Egyptian Pyramids if you walked through them, touched them, too pictures, or if you just read about them? Or would doing that make reading about it more enjoyable. Just my personal idea on education, and I hope to be able to add some of that to how my son learns. China is the first place on the list, or Taiwan, though we have a small list of other areas. We haven't completely decided on where to live when all is said and done.

I have decided that it wont be America. With a criminal record, it really limits my choices of work. Regardless of the facts behind it, doesn't matter. I really want to hear more about living and working in both areas, and the teachers. You mentioned your teacher Maarten, and I'm going to check out the videos you mentioned. I would like to hear about the other teacher you mentioned too. As far as teachers go, what good teachers are available in Taiwan that teach XYLH? At one point, I really wanted to learn from Yu Hualongs son. I know he teaches up in Canada, I think Victoria? Something like that. But going up there, living, staying, isn't plausible. I also wouldn't be able to teach there to pay the bills.

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's been very helpful thus far!

I'm typing on my wife's IPad in a hotel, so I"ll keep it brief.. In America there is the option of moving to a better area. In China it will just be from bad to horrific or vice-versa. As far as living standards and education, healthcare, the environment etc. is concerned. Teaching here sucks because you're not taken seriously and they are always trying to rip you off in one way or another.

Gongfu is just about the best aspect of living in China, IF you find the right master. If you go with someone that someone on the boards here recommends you should be set. Otherwise the one thing that could have been great will leave you disappointed and then the rest of the downsides to living here will begin to become intolerable. Oh, and don't move to the northeast. Cold as fuck and nothing much to see.

The other best thing about living in China is going on motorbike adventures, but I doubt you'll be doing much of that with your family.. :P Being one of the only foreigners in town has its up and downsides, but travelling to remote areas of the country on roads from hell, where no foreigners have ever been to is exhilarating. 8-)
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby northern_mantis on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:00 am

It seems that everything you want to achieve would be far easier where you are or at least within the US. And you could learn to fight within the relative comfort of a modern well equipped gym. Whilst you have challenges with finding work there why not look at self employment? Or simply keep plugging away and explaining to employers the same way you have here. You might be frustrated now but would be even more so somewhere alien to you and less developed.

Most importantly, from experience I have seen that moving children around the world does not make them worldly and well educated anywhere near as much as it makes them rootless and vulnerable. And in the events of relationships breaking up with the geographical factors the results are horrific.

I'm no expert so just offering an opinion based on having been around an expat community. Best of luck whatever you do.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Greg J on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:22 am

Hi Wuji,

"Transitions Abroad" is a pretty good resource (or so I've been told) for people wanting to live & work/ volunteer abroad.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/

I have never lived in China, but I did spend about seven months living and volunteering in Brazil. A couple of things I learned (note that these are Brazil-specific, but I think apply to any foreign country):

- Try, try, try to get hired (and get a contract signed) before you move to China. You will be paid a higher wage, and they will help provide the documentation you need to get the right kind of visa.
- Many local language schools are happy to hire you once you are in-country, and pay you under the table. This allows them to pay you less, and not have to deal with visa paperwork, etc. It is (or was in Brazil, when I was there) fairly easy to find this type of work, but it is very piecemeal and you end up spending almost all of your time teaching and running from job to job. Also, it's illegal and can get you arrested and deported. This can lead to being taken advantage of by your employer. Also, it's not a good option if you want any free time for family & study.
- Just like in the US, quality of life varies greatly from region to region, and neighborhood to neighborhood. The more you can connect with a local you trust to help guide you in your decision making the better off you will be. I ended up living with a host family in a decent neighborhood in Sao Paulo. My host brother was a bodyguard who got me connected with an affordable gym within bicycling distance where I could train. There is no way I would or could have known about this place before I moved there.
- It's awesome that you have a supportive wife, and that you guys are going to be doing this together. Be aware that she is going to go through her own "culture shock" and will (like anyone who spends any amount of time living abroad) hit a point where she wonders why she is doing this. Hopefully she has some investment in the move as well outside of allowing you to pursue this dream of yours.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Best,
Greg
Last edited by Greg J on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg J
Huajing

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:55 am

I was bullied to the point of having my nose cauterized 37 times, and broken more then I can remember. Because if a very broken education system. I don't know much about the education system in China.

I have friends that have had a great time being a teacher in China. You will find several of the members having lived in China for a very long time, many as teachers. As a foreigner you'll have the best medical care. There are very good hospitals with international standard. But I would personally prefer Shanghai before Beijing. There are excellent international schools in Shanghai as well.

If you are lucky, you'll have the time of your life. If you are less fortunate, I am sure you can solve the problems.

Don't listen to what others say, or listen to many different stories. Go with your heart. Test your luck. There's a lot of variations both in attitudes and people. And there are indeed very kind and generous people in China. Some of the best people I know live there.

Seems like you've had a tough time. I wish you good luck and all the best, whatever you decide to do.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby phil b on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Bao wrote:
Don't listen to what others say, or listen to many different stories. Go with your heart. Test your luck.

Seriously dumb advice. I have seen far too many foreigners come to Taiwan thinking that all they read on the internet is gospel. If you decide to go for it and move to Asia, come with a healthy dose of cynicism. I know plenty of people who have lived in China and Taiwan for years and love it. I know plenty more who would discourage you from thinking of doing it. Be realistic, do your homework, and pray for luck.
Just your average office worker :p
phil b
Anjing

Postby san5324 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 pm

grzegorz wrote:Small towns are interesting because it will be easy to find work and you will be treated like a reality TV show star but the problem is you will be treated like a reality TV show star. ;)

I lived in a few places in China and although the small towns have their charm I generally felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. To top it off unless you are fine with all Chinese food all the time you may find yourself traveling a few hours on weekends just to buy the groceries you want simply for a taste of something different.

I would try to find the best of both worlds. I would not go too rural but I would not rule out the big cities. If I were to go back I would move to Shanghai again but on the flip side after two years of Shanghai I pretty much had enough.

There are some nice big cities like Hangzhou. I also think going to some place like Xian which is more traditional but huge would have been interesting too.

In fact if I did do it all again. I would travel around with a back pack and see what worked for me. In fact that is how I ended up in Shanghai. Well that and a good job offer but it is really is the only way.

Hz isnt that swell either. I have been living here since sep 2008 and the air quality is as bad as shanghai. I would prefer Sh over Hz anyday due to the fact of the many waidiren and their children peeing and pooing everywhere in hangzhou.
san5324
Santi

Postby san5324 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Hualong's grandstudents) and Anhui (Bengbu, Fuyang, etc - from Song Guobin). From a kungfu POV I think you would be able to learn good XYLH in all of these places.

Second, you are still in the 'commercial teaching' mindset. However, the reality on the ground in China is that many teachers do not operate this way (XX dollars per class). Either they teach in the traditional way (no fees, baishi, give hongbao at CNY and other festivals) or the other tendency is for them to charge an annual fee or a one-off fee for discipleship. For example, one very well known XYLH teacher in Shanghai charges RMB 10,000 to baishi (become a disciple).

Really? Man my teacher is not like that at all. I am quite lucky I guess. In the beginning I paid 500rmb for 1 term ( so that was during the university classes, so say for example from March till august), and after 2 years I didnt had to pay him anything. I always gave him money every month and baijiu when I visited his house 3 days a week outside class, old school teachers from the north do love baijiu. I guess I can consider myself his deciple due to the fact he never taught anybody pigua except me.
san5324
Santi

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:01 pm

phil b wrote:
Bao wrote:
Don't listen to what others say, or listen to many different stories. Go with your heart. Test your luck.

Seriously dumb advice. ... Be realistic, do your homework, and pray for luck.

And "be realistic and do your homework" is what I said. Don't take the first advice, listen to many different stories.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 am

san5324 wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Small towns are interesting because it will be easy to find work and you will be treated like a reality TV show star but the problem is you will be treated like a reality TV show star. ;)

I lived in a few places in China and although the small towns have their charm I generally felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. To top it off unless you are fine with all Chinese food all the time you may find yourself traveling a few hours on weekends just to buy the groceries you want simply for a taste of something different.

I would try to find the best of both worlds. I would not go too rural but I would not rule out the big cities. If I were to go back I would move to Shanghai again but on the flip side after two years of Shanghai I pretty much had enough.

There are some nice big cities like Hangzhou. I also think going to some place like Xian which is more traditional but huge would have been interesting too.

In fact if I did do it all again. I would travel around with a back pack and see what worked for me. In fact that is how I ended up in Shanghai. Well that and a good job offer but it is really is the only way.

Hz isnt that swell either. I have been living here since sep 2008 and the air quality is as bad as shanghai. I would prefer Sh over Hz anyday due to the fact of the many waidiren and their children peeing and pooing everywhere in hangzhou.

Oops! I Was there over a decade ago. I am sure it is very different now.

Guilin where Maarten is is nice.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 am

Bao wrote:
phil b wrote:
Bao wrote:

Seriously dumb advice. ... Be realistic, do your homework, and pray for luck.

And "be realistic and do your homework" is what I said. Don't take the first advice, listen to many different stories.

True but he should still listen. I read a ton of forums on China before moving there and it was all helpful.

What was interesting for me was that unlike the people on those forums and probably the same here is that I was actually interested and fascinated by Chinese history and culture whereas a lot of other foreigners chose China as the flavor of the month. I think that fascination set me apart from my fellow foreigners some of who would have been happier in Korea or Japan but did not really know what they were getting into.

Yes Taiwan, like anywhere will have its issues. I was thinking more about the wife and kids. What can I say? I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old and I just can't imagine uprooting them without some solid plans.

So my advice is read and learn all you can because I did back when people posted on yahoo groups and all of it was true (for those people.)

As Maarten mentioned teaching English takes a lot out of you. I remember fracturing my ankle and calling in to work telling them I couldn't come in. What did my boss do? She insisted on sending students to my dorm room. I lost it! Yet even now I regret it. Because although it is absurd as an American to the Chinese this is just the way they get things done. For better or worse money is everything and to be honest they are probably right. But at the time I just refused to be their dancing bear but essentially that is what English schools are looking for. I sometimes wish I could do it all over again and get in less clashes with my Chinese bosses but essentially my battles came down to me wanting to study gong fu and them wanting me to work more. As someone else mentioned about their daughter teaching in China to experience China on weekends yet her boss cut into her weekends. Yep, that is China. You are there for China and to the Chinese you are there to work. It does not take long to figure out that it isn't unusual to meet someone in China who works everyday then again in the States that is becoming more typical too.

The good news that the longer you are there the more opportunities you will find. By the time I left I had an interview with an English school in Shanghai's French Concession. Unfortunately I had to leave anyway but it would have been a nice area to live and work in for a year and not the kind of good job you are likely to find unless you are already in China.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm

If your main interest is really xin yi, and not China, look up peng suisheng in Boston/Cambridge. Dude used to post here as somotai is his student/disciple, I believe has a website for his xin yi and also bodywork practice, maybe shoot him an email. Google dnotman

I know how it is want to dip all the time, I've always got one eye on the door myself, but you might have a better life for yourself and your kid doing IT stuff or whatever in Boston, than teaching English in China. Just a thought

*Went back and reread your posts; I'm an idiot, ignore me
Last edited by vagabond on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Ron Panunto on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:55 pm

I salute all of you non-Chinese practitioners who are willing to give up so much to study your arts at their sources. I love IMA and practice them daily, but damn if I have the cajones to move to China. Best of luck to all of you, because you bring back the goods to all of us.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks, mate. It's certainly not for everyone. It's refreshing to hear that at least some people back home appreciate the effort. :) Most on here just scoff.

Just because we train in China doesn't mean that we will become better fighters than people that train in the West, or other arts, but there is no way in Hell that I would have had the time, energy or money to train almost daily for so many years and learn some of the rare training and fighting methods that I've learned here. These methods, whilst not necessarily better than what can be found in other countries, are very effective and DIFFERENT. Interesting. That's enough for me. And I got to explore the country and culture from which it originated. It has been more than worth it for me.

I do believe that if UFC fighters had two or three months with me it would give them a big edge over their opponents. If I had two or three months with them I would learn a lot too, but a lot of it is common knowledge by now and not a lot that I wouldn't have already seen during my Sanda, Judo training etc. I think that doing something different and rare, assuming that you spar with more mainstream fighters and don't just live in your bubble, is not something to be underestimated.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby bohdi on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 am

Chinese heathcare is along the lines of "got cancer, drink more hot water for healthy" from what I understand.
bohdi
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan