Benefits of Kicking & Screaming

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Benefits of Kicking & Screaming

Postby grzegorz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 pm

The Muay Thai "Grunt" - Benefits of Kicking & Screaming | Muay Thai Guy

http://www.muay-thai-guy.com/muay-thai-grunt.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Benefits of Kicking & Screaming

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:24 am

..." if you hear yourself yelling and screaming, you are absolutely certain that you are exhaling when you should be. Whereas if you don’t make an effort to grunt as you exhale, it’s much easier to forget to breathe and control your breathing..."

`cause we are practicing breathing from the very beginning its not valid point for CMA`ist ;)
also, I`m not so sure about 10% more POW when screamin`,- you`re givin` out more energy -sure thing. Direct translation/transformation from sound to fist- Hmmm ?...
I learned, that:
Fast exhale with the >HA<
BUT
HA doesn`t need to be audible , however you may yell if you like :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

I have seen IMA people look down at screaming but I thought they made some valid points.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:57 am

i`m not to deep into the screaming thing,
but for me - it is something like "last resort", not for everyday sparing .
Particularly, if we take those 10% as the truth, it is better not to drain to the bottom every time ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am

Screaming and very strong out breath through the mouth make the body send stress signals to the brain. They will say that there is something wrong and prepare you for panic mode. So if you want to maintain control, continue to be relaxed and balanced, shouting and breathing hard is the very last thing you should do

wiesiek wrote:I learned, that:
Fast exhale with the >HA<
BUT
HA doesn`t need to be audible , however you may yell if you like :D

Ha and Heng ("E" sounds like the vowel in "stir".) seem to be the most prominent sounds in IMA. They have quite a different effect on striking power as they shape the chest and press out the air differently. So yes, you can do the "shape" and breath without sound. The sound in itself is not important, but how physical movement is coordinated together with breath.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 am

Bao wrote:
Ha and Heng ("E" sounds like the vowel in "stir".)

You mean like "Hirng"?
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby I am... on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm

What about the sounds of Tigers and Thunder from Xingyi and Yiquan?
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:03 pm

IMO, the concept and practice of "kiai" (borrowing the Japanese term) are largely misunderstood. The vast majority of MAists/fighters who do it turn it into a silly shouting -- or, in this case, screaming -- contest.

In the traditional CMA styles that I've been exposed to, the sound you generate when releasing power is the result of compressing and condensing the breath into the dantian, which not only adds an extra burst of energy to your strikes, but also increases the body's ability to withstand punishment.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:09 pm

C.J.W. wrote:IMO, the concept and practice of "kiai" (borrowing the Japanese term) are largely misunderstood. The vast majority of MAists/fighters who do it turn it into a silly shouting -- or, in this case, screaming -- contest.

In the traditional CMA styles that I've been exposed to, the sound you generate when releasing power is the result of compressing and condensing the breath into the dantian, which not only adds an extra burst of energy to your strikes, but also increases the body's ability to withstand punishment.

yep ;)

White crane " lama hop gar" has some sounds used for this,
Hung Gar, has its iron wire set that uses sound.

In some qi gong practices they use what are called 6 healing sounds
to stimulate or affect different organs.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 am

Speaking about Kiai, "Kotodama" the spirit of words and sound was a method and practice Morhei Ueshiba was devoted to and used it's principles in his creation and practice of Aikido.....My Aikido teacher talked about Kotodama, i did not think to much about it back then, but nowdays i see it as a interesting topic.
Trick

Postby Pavel Macek on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 am

Please check out this article with Southenr Chinese martial arts perspective:

Use and Meaning of the Sounds, Shouts and Screams

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/07/hu ... d-screams/
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 am

Ron Panunto wrote:
Bao wrote:
Ha and Heng ("E" sounds like the vowel in "stir".)

You mean like "Hirng"?

ö
Something like that. It's the same sound you write "Ö", "OE" or "Ø" with nordic/scandinavian languages. But Chinese "e" (mandarin/putonghua) is done from deeper down the throat, like you are going to throw up. ;D
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 am

Pavel Macek wrote:Please check out this article with Southenr Chinese martial arts perspective:

Use and Meaning of the Sounds, Shouts and Screams

http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/07/hu ... d-screams/

I like working with the five different sounds of Hunggar. But it's a very different way of dealing with sounds and a different philosophy than from XYQ/BGZ/TJQ. Hunggar sounds works like power breathing, you'll get completely exhausted working with them. A great workout, but can be mentally and emotionally exhausting, draining.

"..."use sounds to boost courage“ (Yi Seng Jo Sai)". Yes, they have probably been used as mental and psychological preparation for battle. I can understand how they can clean your thoughts and give you a feeling of power. This is not like philosophy, superstition or a mantra, the work with these sounds really do have a great psychological and emotional impact.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Pavel Macek on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 am

I like working with the five different sounds of Hunggar. But it's a very different way of dealing with sounds and a different philosophy than from XYQ/BGZ/TJQ. Hunggar sounds works like power breathing, you'll get completely exhausted working with them. A great workout, but can be mentally and emotionally exhausting, draining.

I respectfully disagree - actually, the opposite is true. If you get exhausted, you are doing it wrong. Most people do "Iron Thread" as a hard-only exercise, which is wrong. Please refer to this article: http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/09/th ... as-thread/
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 am

Pavel Macek wrote:

I respectfully disagree - actually, the opposite is true. If you get exhausted, you are doing it wrong. Most people do "Iron Thread" as a hard-only exercise, which is wrong. Please refer to this article: http://practicalhungkyun.com/2013/09/th ... as-thread/

Interesting had a friend into hunggar long ago.

I've heard it called both ways "thread & wire"

Traditional Chinese maxim describes the core principles of the set in following words: “Hard as iron, soft as thread” (Gong Yu Tit, Yau Yu Sin). This is the reason why I prefer to translate Tit Sin Kyun a s „Iron Thread Set“ instead of „Iron Wire Set“.

from the link....good to know... ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan