CMA Training Path

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

CMA Training Path

Postby johnwang on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:29 pm

From one of Adam Hsu's book, I found out that his CMA training path and mine are very similar. Toward the end we moved into different directions, but in the beginning, we had shared almost exactly the same training path.

1. After I had learned the long fist system, I had learned a lot of forms but I didn't know how to use it in fighting.
2. I then cross trained the preying mantis system. The preying mantis application also helped me to understand my long fist application. Now I could land my fist on my opponent's body but my punch didn't have enough power to cause any damage.
3. I then trained the Baji system. Now I felt that I could punch a hole through my opponent's body. But since nobody would let me to punch a hole through his body, I could not see my training result. I started to lose interest in the striking art.
4. I then train the throwing art Shuai Chiao. Now I can use single leg to take 7 different opponents down one after another. I can see my training result, and I can also have fun.

What's your CMA training path?
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: CMA Training Path

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:48 pm

1. First few years - Stances, basic punches with weight on hands, basic kicks with weight on the feet, stepping forward and backward, jump and leap.
2. Learnt a few forms, didn't help on fight so didn't do them.
3. Hurt my L4-L5, stayed in hospital twice for 10 days each. Picked up the form to get some movements.
4. Few years later, hurt my C4-5 in an car accident. Do the form to keep myself moving.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:22 pm

1. learned a little taijiquan. limited application.
2. learned a little "ninjutsu", judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu. lots of grappling application. throws are fun.
3. totally lost interest, because other more popular sports really are even more fun and interactive.
4. various sports injuries and a health issue. qigong is very interesting. taijiquan as health art is very interesting.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:19 pm

1. Did wrestling for 5 years when I put the hurt on a high school champion
2. Learnt alot of forms, changquan, lamaxiaquan, other taijiquan styles that lacked a functional base (perhaps I had a hard head and was incapable of learning)
3. Did TKD for awhile
4. I did some competition and realized that nandu was not for me ;D I was uncoordinated and lacked gymnastic performance skills but I do enjoy them when others do that kind of glittery stuff 8-)
5. Met Master Chang Dungcheng, regressed to wrestling while incorporating the little I learnt. I also learnt his xingjing form as a functional bridge (for me) simple, to the point
NOTE: Though I learnt 2 person forms (taijiquan) I did not find them useful/functional but in learning them I caught an insight into how certain styles come into being! My reference is that in the Yang 2 person, the stepping is akin to that of Sun chi taijiquan and he possible/probably used that stepping as part of the his 'synthetic' bridging of the 3 neijiaquan (gosh, I hate that term)
Last edited by yeniseri on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby san5324 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 am

1. practicing at 4 years atpachi tanglang in holland. Started in 2004

2. Practicing almost 4 years at jingwu in holland, only focuses on xingyi. started end 2004

3. moved to china and practiced baji, pigua, tongbei, xingyi and standing qigong with my teacher from hebei for 7 years. started 2008.

4. I practiced also with another teacher, I practiced bagua, mantis and huo quan(活拳) . All were his family styles were huo quan is basically sanda in 3 different forms. first form mostly boxing, second mostly kicking third combination from bagua and xingyi movements in them. Never learned the third form. Started end of 2009

5. Then I hadad to rest from september 2012 (hernia) , Jan 2013 (spinal fusion surgery) and Jan 2014 ( removal of screws). Then Jan 2015 I was 94kg, now back to 76.

6. My primary teacher is back to hebei since he had a stroke 2 years back, I dont think he is coming back. Then I found that my gym offers chen taiji classes. Teacher is from Henan and he is insane. I started march 2015 till now.

7. At this point I mainly practice chen taiji, do my baji and pigua basics and do my stances.
san5324
Santi

Postby Storm on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:26 pm

1. I started with Karate in school. Trained it for 23 years and fought in tournaments but ended up disillusioned. In Kumite only 5-6 techniques are used. In Kata, there are miriads of techniques but the trainers I had unfortunately just knew very basic applications with the same 5-6 Kumite techniques. Additionally I saw a lot of older practitioners who were stiff as a board and some were really damaged by their way to train. Outside tournament fights I was not sure I could fight my way out of a paper bag.

2. Started Jujutsu 9 years ago. Efficient for self defence but our Master in Japan died around 75 years old and had training related health issues. That got me worried a bit. Also missed striking. So I looked for an internal art for health and applicability.

3. As Xingyi was not offered nearby (300 km radius) I ended up training Gao Style Baguazhang.

Now I practice Jujutsu and Bagua. Still wonder about Xingyi/Xinyi from time to time.....
Last edited by Storm on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Storm
Santi

Postby Fubo on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 pm

1. I trained Yang Chen Fu style Taiji for a long time, but with limited applications. A lot of focus on form, power training, cooperative and non-cooperative (up rooting to take a step) push hands.

2. Got frustrated with the lack on contact from the old Taiji school, so started training Systema. The Systema allowed for more free exploration in terms of Technique (though technique was considers a bad word), the "soft sparring" I thought was useful, but limited in terms of resistance. Moved away from England, so stopped training it after a year. I felt the System enhanced the applicability for my Taiji. I kept training the Taiji throughout this time as I still found is useful.

3. Started training Fu Bagua cause that was mostly available in my area. Did more forms, a little application. Got some of the students to do some wrestling from it, though not much. Start BJJ to get more contact, but I moved country a couple months after, so stopped training.

4. Started Judo because I was very influenced by Tim Cartmell's book "Effortless Combat Throws", but could never find an internal arts teacher that taught a decent range of throws and also had decent resistance and contact in the class. Trained it for a few years, got into competing, and found it helped my Taiji and Bagua a lot. I also found that my Taiji, Zhan Zhuang and Bagua forms training helped my Judo too. Grew tired for how sportive Judo competition got and how the rule eliminated a lot of throws.

5. Met my Gao Bagua teacher and found what I wanted, which is a Bagua system that contains forms, power training, solid combat strategy and lots of techniques, both striking and throwing. The Judo training really helped contextualize the throwing, and it's similarities and distinctions between it and Bagua. I tend to have more of a focus on throwing/grappling, because I like to train stuff that I can try out with resistance and know that I can pull it off for sure. I also train BJJ for my ground work, and also it gives me more people I can practice my take downs with lots of resistance. This is where I am today.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby GrandUltimate on Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

1. Started learning under my Sifu in Ving Tsun, Tai Chi, Shaolin, weapons, and stuff. This is the core of my martial arts and I still continue under my Sifu

2. Became good friends with a guy who was training Xing Yi and Bagua, cross trained with him while doing the stuff above, Mainly kept the things I liked such as the 5 elements, a linking form, few animals, 8 mother palms and Old 8 palms and some animal palms . TBH, I just enjoy bagua, and it makes my relatively stiff spine feel great.

3. Moved to Chicago for a few years and cross trained a bit in boxing, muay thai, bjj, and choy lay fut. More than anything, my few months of bjj made me realize I had terrible grappling skill and my counterproductive wrestling instincts, it also made me realize some of the benefits of training wrestling/grappling compared to striking arts. Muay Thai and MMA sparring made me realize that there a lot of people who regularly spar at high intensity, and a lot of them are monsters who can take and dish out a lot of damage just for fun with no hard feelings. It made me reconsider a lot of things about the way I had been training and setting my bar at somewhat of a minimum.

4. Now I'm back in NY, still training under my Sifu that I started under but I also started training Shuai Jiao a few weeks ago and I love it. It made me realize that I've been slacking on my work ethic. Plus I've always been interested in being good at sweeps and throws. I'm hoping to stick to it and eventually have Shuai Jiao as my wrestling skillset. Two of my Ving Tsun brothers also do bjj and destroy me every time we roll (which makes sense as they're blue belts and I'm...nothing lol), and I can't wait to improve and be an actual challenge for them.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
GrandUltimate
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Wed May 10, 2017 2:25 am

1. started judo when was in grammar school and trained for sport quite long. When I get "master" level /black belt, instructor/ - started to digging in the punching arts.
2. couple years of Kiokushin
3. few more years TKD
4. Searching for more spiritual work - Zen and Tibetan Buddhism /Tenga Rinpoche -the teacher/
5. break 2 years /when 35 y.o./
6. returned on the hard path for a ~~ year,
later, when I was lookin` for more health oriented exercises I found and learned 14 meridian qigong /medical/
7. all 3 basic "internal" styles come out / for the study/, hmm... naturally
8. now, I`m 61 , learned Chen sword / and some empty hands forms/ 3 years ago.

- at the present - Diggin` in the sword usage, everyday practicing 14 meridians as the base, while learning BGZ as much as I can.

- short distance plan - sparrings in aikido and JJ dojos - they are located close to my place.
e.:
-long distance plan - die healthy :)
e.2:
I`m sorry forget to mention, that I train also SC, as the undercover, internet JW groupie, from the time when I joined eF :)
Last edited by wiesiek on Fri May 12, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan