Head Trick

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Head Trick

Postby Yeung on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 am

Head Trick

I came across what is called the head trick for kids in the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong many years ago. I use it to demonstrate innate strength or additional strength that one has. The trick is to ask someone to put his or her hand on the head and ask someone else to put the hand off the head as demonstrated in the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/39716348706001 ... 957410297/

I would like to know the original reference to this head trick for kids, please help!
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Head Trick

Postby everything on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:15 pm

don't know but... what's the secret of the trick? :)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Sigh.....

It's not a trick and it's not innate strength or additional...nor could you categorize it as internals blah blah.

In my school, it's an inside joke to call this the "bread Tie" method as in literally the little piece of wire that you twist tie a bag of bread for example. Of course I could make a simple video of this and demonstrate it in 5 sec. but anyway....

Years ago I was I teaching how lifting in White crane spreads wings could be used in "Leih" or split...for example on an elbow joint. Literally the right arm lifts under your opponents right elbow to left and straighten the joint...thus splitting it.

The mistake people make is that they lift from either in the center of their forearm or worst towards the wrist. However if you lift at the 90deg bend (where the forearm meets the bicept ) it's very strong. It's just physics.

Notice the man in the video doesn't lift from the wrist...if he did, the woman's arm would bend open.

The reason we jokingly call it bread tie is because I once took a small "Bread Tie" piece of wire and bent it to 90degrees.
-Then I place a set of keys(5 keys on a key ring) on the strong point of the bend it held the weight.
- But if you move the key ring out to the end...wire will bend open, thus dropping the keys.

Just a note, In Tai Chi we don't literally need to bend the arm at 90degs...it can be subtly open with the arm naturally bended like a bow. But this is a small example of how to use this type of power.

Best to you, "O"
Subitai
Huajing

Postby BruceP on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

everything wrote:don't know but... what's the secret of the trick? :)

No secret. It's just our latent propensity to brachiate
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Yeung on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:07 am

everything wrote:don't know but... what's the secret of the trick? :)

It is just a demonstration of passive muscle tension. Here are two more demonstrations:

https://www.facebook.com/39716348706001 ... 650033461/
Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan