My Han shi Yiquan Experience

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

My Han shi Yiquan Experience

Postby greytowhite on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I am visiting the Sacramento, CA area this week and Taste of Death was kind enough to invite me to come play. I was given ample opportunity to explore what they were working on in partner testing and in solo development. The gua/dang/LDT focus was interesting to return to after 2 years of putting work in on Kenny Gong's rib opening focused xingyi. I had a lot of fun and was allowed some time to compare and contrast methods and strategies from each side. It's interesting to see an almost completely form free expression mixed with Liuhebafa in some instances. There was a more advanced partner exercise that looked almost exactly like the LHBF opening movement from my perspective. The mechanics involved were very intuitive and it was immediately applicable to the solo lessons as well as partner work.

I wish I had more time to spend here in Northern California. Perhaps the next trip I will have more time. We talked a lot about Zhong Xin Dao AKA I Liq Chuan being of a very similar approach with some focus on forms. Overall, I hope to come visit this group again after some more time put in with my teacher Lloyd Day. Sadly, I did not get to spend as much time playing with others here as I would have liked. My own efforts to document our style pales in comparison to the material for Yiquan.

https://xingyibaguablog.wordpress.com/2 ... alifornia/
greytowhite
Wuji

Re: My Han shi Yiquan Experience

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 am

I have met couple students of Han's brother. Those I have talked to do not positive associate Han's study with Wu YiHui. And a classmate of Han told me that Han once said Wu couldn't fight. But, their practice has some LHBF stuff in there. It leaves me wondering. I know it may be sensitive, and would like to look at things from different prospective. Please ignore me if you don't want to tell.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am

suckinlhbf wrote:I have met couple students of Han's brother. Those I have talked to do not positive associate Han's study with Wu YiHui. And a classmate of Han told me that Han once said Wu couldn't fight. But, their practice has some LHBF stuff in there. It leaves me wondering. I know it may be sensitive, and would like to look at things from different prospective. Please ignore me if you don't want to tell.

Suck,
Please~
Rumour like this is not constructive.
Just to verify, from I known from Han's lineage, and if I remember correctly,
Han Xing Qiao wife was one of indoor student of Wu Yihui.
This sums it up.
Overlord

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:37 am

Overlord,

I think how we take the rumor depends on how we deal with it.

The rumor also said Han joined Wu's group was because he wanted the niece of Wang XiangZhai because she was in the group.

Han came from a martial art family. His grandfather is a very familiar and good martial artist by his time. Han's brother was very good by their time too from his family background and training with Wang. The first reaction I heard about that was why he would have said that. I didn't get upset but got me into studying for the difference among XingYi, Bagua, Yichuan, and LHBF. It is sensitive but we can always get into the positive and constructive side of it, and ignore the personal drama and emotion. We study Martial Arts not the rumor or drama of the past.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am

Overlord,

Thanks for putting it up. It sets things into the right path.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Strange on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

my teacher told me recently:
one day, Wu was practicing his spear in the park
some guy comes over and says that let's us have a friendly exchange
Wu says ok
Upon contact of the spear shaft, that some guy's spear goes flying up in the air

yeah i know
"friendly" exchanges with a spear
yeah right
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby suckinlhbf on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am

All rumors:-
Wang likes to train with Wu as one is hard and one is soft. Those people close to them would know how Young Han fight with Wu. I was told that Wu liked Han very much, and they had a good relationship.

Lesson to me is most of the people tell part of the story so have to look at the big picture. Chen and Wan are Wu's student. One lineage tends to be harder, and the other lineage tends to be softer.

CYY was hit by a spear on his hip which left him cripple for life during a practice with a classmate. Would Wu's spear exchange "friendly". It might.
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan