Sparring in CMA

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sparring in CMA

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Trapping in TCMA is so important. It just means to make contact with one or more limb for a split second to hold them up and allow for the next technique to reach its target. Almost all of the techniques that I use can and usually do involve trapping. Trapping doesn't always require contact and can be used both offensively and defensively. They are usually cyclic or back-and-forth motions that either distract the opponent or inhibit their movement so as to land the next technique. Flowing from one to the other makes it very difficult for your opponent to predict and defend against them.

Think of them is a combination, much like the jab-straight-jab or jab-straight-hook, except that if they make contact they momentarily limit your opponents range of motion. If done properly (which requires many months, years of foundation training), these will also destroy their balance upon contact. Whether to execute a strike, throw or Qinna technique after trapping is up to you. Note that I am referring more to the trapping in arts like XYQ, BGZ, TJQ, Tanglangquan etc. and less so to Yongchunquan (Wing Chun) orother southern arts, with which I have less experience.

The rest of my hand techniques are more like Tongbeiquan or Piguaquan, devastating whips and swings (for lack of a better word), usually aided by gravity and/or full-body power, especially from the waist. All TCMA have these to one extent or another.

Arts like Changquan (from what I have seen) look more like Karate or Sanda when in use, as most of their training is exaggerated low stances meant to improve the foundation, but even then we still see a lot of the whipping and swinging-type moves.

It is the focus on these techniques (because boxing has some trapping as well) and more that separate TCMA from kickboxing and what sets them worlds apart and therefore quite distinguishable from each other. That is simply not what any reasonably knowledgeable person can see in the videos above.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Maybe, just maybe with all the thousands of gung fu styles and sub-styles, one flavor might be Chow Mein and another could be Beijing Duck, but is takes one ignorant bastard to declare the other non-traditional because it lacks his noodles!!!

Only on RSF!

Naw, it's the same with Italian food. Try to find a canoli in northern Italy ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shoebox55 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

MaartenSFS wrote:

I don't do Sanda. I do TCMA. They are different. They look different. I'm not saying that there are no overlaps, but it looks fucking different. The techniques are different. The strategies are different. Any teacher that claims to teach CMA should be able to use what he has learned and it shouldn't look like fucking Sanda. It also shouldn't look like a girly tantrum or Tuishou. There is no big secret here.

Thanks for your comments. Could you provide a link to a video that you have seen that demonstrates TCMA sparring?
shoebox55
Santi

Postby Niall Keane on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

shoebox55 wrote:
MaartenSFS wrote:

I don't do Sanda. I do TCMA. They are different. They look different. I'm not saying that there are no overlaps, but it looks fucking different. The techniques are different. The strategies are different. Any teacher that claims to teach CMA should be able to use what he has learned and it shouldn't look like fucking Sanda. It also shouldn't look like a girly tantrum or Tuishou. There is no big secret here.

Thanks for your comments. Could you provide a link to a video that you have seen that demonstrates TCMA sparring?

The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan