Next Step in Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Next Step in Training

Postby yeniseri on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:57 pm

If one has had good instruction, then any next step should be intuitive to the practitioner.

The statement
I feel like he was deficient in helping me improve gua and dang integration with lower dantian.
does not mesh with a reality of entering, finishing strategy, your own physical conditioning (jibengong of some kind) and your interaction with your 'core' art. I realize I may be missing something but if the art after x years is not useful then it isn't necessarily the teacher. YOu just have to find one that is functional and has utility.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 am

greytowhite wrote:
I've been in a lot of real fights - not sport fights. I get attacked when we're out at bars semi-regularly just because I'm the small guy people want to show off by trying to beat on me

Maybe you should hang out at better bars. I'm a small guy too and have drank at thousands of bars in Philly and around the world in my 73 years and have never been attacked. Maybe it's you.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:Maybe you should hang out at better bars. I'm a small guy too and have drank at thousands of bars in Philly and around the world in my 73 years and have never been attacked. Maybe it's you.

Nope - I'm talking completely random attacks - no verbal exchange. It's the environment here in Phoenix. If you go to bars by Arizona State University there is inevitably someone who is too young and drunk that gets aggressive. If you go to bars near downtown Phoenix you then have to deal with meth addicted and drunken homeless people. In Mesa there is a strong White supremacy lean so as soon as someone hears me speak Spanish or something I get approached. In West Valley I don't even go to parties and bars because inevitably someone is pulling a gun. The place is a concealed carry state as long as you are legally able to own a gun. It's a different place and different culture than Philadelphia.

yeniseri wrote:If one has had good instruction, then any next step should be intuitive to the practitioner.

The statement
I feel like he was deficient in helping me improve gua and dang integration with lower dantian.
does not mesh with a reality of entering, finishing strategy, your own physical conditioning (jibengong of some kind) and your interaction with your 'core' art. I realize I may be missing something but if the art after x years is not useful then it isn't necessarily the teacher. YOu just have to find one that is functional and has utility.

I'm not the only student who felt this way - I've already found a new IMA instructor and still plan to interact with other styles regularly.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Ron Panunto on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:34 am

Jesus Grey to White, I thought only aged retirees lived in Phoenix. It sounds pretty bad out there. Well I know where I'm NOT retiring!
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 am

Ron Panunto wrote:Jesus Grey to White, I thought only aged retirees lived in Phoenix. It sounds pretty bad out there. Well I know where I'm NOT retiring!

Ron, remember Gov. Brewer?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/The-Vote/2010/0904/Jan-Brewer-corrects-the-record-on-headless-bodies-in-the-desert
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:Jesus Grey to White, I thought only aged retirees lived in Phoenix. It sounds pretty bad out there. Well I know where I'm NOT retiring!

Still doesn't compare to where I grew up in Stockton. I've got a shirt that literally says, "You can't scare me I was born in Stockton." The Diaz brothers know how to fight for a reason - most of us Stocktonians do.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 pm

I think BJJ is calling you, but that's going to take $$$$s...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:18 pm

GrahamB wrote:I think BJJ is calling you, but that's going to take $$$$s...

Yeah we may be able to get a "family" package for three people at the local BJJ gym. Although I've touched hands with a few students from there - they couldn't get me to the ground and had serious lack in their stand up game. I haven't tried anything with high ranked people there yet.
greytowhite
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan