這就是中國, This is China says Xu Xiaodong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

這就是中國, This is China says Xu Xiaodong

Postby johnwang on Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm

The fake fight also happened in Taiwan. When I took my SC team to compete in Taiwan back in 1984. During the 1st tournament in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, I also got on the mat and compete myself. When I attacked, I could sense my opponent's defense was strong. Suddenly, I felt my opponent's defense was gone. I could enter and threw him down almost effortless. I then realized that the Taiwan SC team wanted me to win (because I was the team leader of the US team). After I had won that match, I no longer competed myself. I don't like fake match even if my opponent wants to let me win. To me, it's a personal insult.

This clip states a lot of interested view points. Do you agree, or disagree?

Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: 這就是中國, This is China says Xu Xiaodong

Postby Bao on Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm

He is very, very brave. Nationalism is strong in China and the party is constantly driving an anti-japanese propaganda campaign. Every single day there are old anti-japanese TV series and movies on prime time TV. Recently, I don't remember in what city, but there was a man who was beaten to death just because he was an owner of a Japanese car. It's hard to imagine how strong the hatred is. But the government is trying to canalise people's frustration and anger towards foreign groups and minorities. Everything he says from beginning to the end is true. But even if bad people are mostly noisier, there are plenty of good people like this guy. Very few of them dare to say what they think.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby zrm on Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 pm

He is extremely brave. He actually comes off as pretty reasonable in this vid. Obviously he is pro-MMA but he isn't entirely dismissive of traditional skills either. To say that the best fighters out there cross-train and test their techniques against the best modern methods is a pretty reasonable opinion. The fact that a lot of professional fights are more about money than winning and that a good percentage of them get fixed is pretty much common knowledge at this stage. Like it or not though the social media train has been unleashed and he now has a price on his head. Some guy has already put down the equivalent of $1m USD for a fighter to come along and "defend the dignity" of Chinese martial arts.
zrm
Huajing

Postby jaime_g on Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 pm

I deeply admire this man. Agree with him 100%
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed May 10, 2017 2:46 am

Yea I have to say the way he's getting treated over there is nuts.. Not sure about his beef with Chen village and sanda personally, but I think calling out bullshido in China is long overdue. That some misguided tai chi guy was the first to be "tested" is by the by now really. Inevitable. It's a real shame if the powers that be shut this down.

To be honest though the genie may be well and truly out of the bottle now, so who knows if we'll see more of this. I'd love to see more of it now personally.
Last edited by cloudz on Wed May 10, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed May 10, 2017 3:46 am

edited: felt it side tracked the thread.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 10, 2017 4:04 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pavel Macek on Wed May 10, 2017 6:20 am

TCMA community is upset. "Beat the bad MMA guy, who disgraced us!"

No, he did not. He just unveiled everything that is wrong with today's TCMA.

Are we going to learn, evolve, and rock, or disappear from the martial arts world for once and all? You can have either results, or excuses - not both. Stop talking about "full contact sparring with no gear", "techniques too deadly for competition", "behind the closed door secrets", "advanced internal training", "this is not Gung Fu, it is just kickboxing", "MMA is fake", and other bull. Evolve, or live in believe in your fairy tales forever. Bow, say thanks, learn, and get to work.
Pavel Macek

Practical Hung Kyun | http://www.practicalhungkyun.com
SIMPLEXSTRONG | http://www.simplexstrong.com
Pavel Macek
Mingjing

Postby Fatal Rose on Wed May 10, 2017 6:34 am

Hope he doesn't disappear.
Talking Fists Podcast
Fatal Rose
Santi

Postby Green Tiger on Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Some Chinese millionaire is offering huge cash prizes to any TCMA fighter who can beat this guy. I had no idea TCMA was such a sacred cow. The UFC fighter Nick Osipczak does tai chi now, and said he'll fight him if there's going to be prize money, but he likes what Xiaodong is doing. https://medium.com/@goathed/ufc-fighter-says-he-will-defend-tai-chi-43e86284b64b
Green Tiger
Santi

Postby johnwang on Wed May 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Green Tiger wrote:Some Chinese millionaire is offering huge cash prizes to any TCMA fighter who can beat this guy. I had no idea TCMA was such a sacred cow. The UFC fighter Nick Osipczak does tai chi now, and said he'll fight him if there's going to be prize money, but he likes what Xiaodong is doing. https://medium.com/@goathed/ufc-fighter-says-he-will-defend-tai-chi-43e86284b64b

Xu Xiaodong only challenges Taiji guys. He still shows respect to TCMA styles such as:

- Da Chen Chuan,
- Tong Bei,
- Baji,
- WC.

IMO, only a 100% Taiji guy's challenge (with no cross training) will be able to end this discussion. Any other challenge will not be able to save the Taiji reputation.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

johnwang wrote:Xu Xiaodong only challenges Taiji guys. He still shows respect to TCMA styles such as:

- Da Chen Chuan,
- Tong Bei,
- Baji,
- WC.

IMO, only a 100% Taiji guy's challenge (with no cross training) will be able to end this discussion. Any other challenge will not be able to save the Taiji reputation.

Which IMO, only shows he is saying what he says to keep walking around. Marketing 101.

Private matches take place all the time everybody in the community generally knows who's who, what they can do and what they cannot do.

It's just a matter of time
One of the 1%that he talks about we'll find him and help him understand taiji just not publicly.

He is trying to Define The Who and what he will fight. As in most things the general public really doesn't count.

To those who know understand what he did doesn't change their training or influence them, why would it.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 10, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed May 10, 2017 8:57 pm

The main reason Xu has gotten such a bad rep in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan is his insolence and trash talk. There are numerous viral clips in which he repeatedly insults Taiji practitioners and TCMAists using the f-word (while making references to their moms and the female genitalia ;) ). In one particular instance that was captured on video, he openly challenges a TCMA teacher and his student, inviting them to step into the ring and begging them to f**** him up and knock him dead because he was "desperate for an ass-whupping." 

IMO, if he had gone about this whole crusade against fraud in a more civilized manner, he would've been taken more seriously rather than becoming public enemy number one.

Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Ian on Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 am

C.J.W. wrote:There are numerous viral clips in which he repeatedly insults Taiji practitioners and TCMAists using the f-word (while making references to their moms and the female genitalia ;) ).

But what's wrong with disrespecting Chen Xiaowang et al? They scam their own students.

The main reason Xu has gotten such a bad rep in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan is his insolence and trash talk.

Plenty of Chinese love this guy as well - he says what people think, embarasses 'masters' in public, and these 'masters' are powerless to respond.

There's no downside to this.
Last edited by Ian on Thu May 11, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Ian on Thu May 11, 2017 12:55 am

The comment at 16:05, 100% accurate.
Last edited by Ian on Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan