discovering mma-taiji part 2

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: discovering mma-taiji part 2

Postby windwalker on Sat May 27, 2017 4:39 am

wayne hansen wrote:Who says you only practice slow
Plenty of CMC people have fought full contact
In Malaysia they took on all comers
Just because all things are not shown in public does not mean they are not practiced in private

+1 ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun May 28, 2017 7:47 am

probably people have anecdotally felt one but not the other.

What do you think?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Don't quite get your meaning there
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Interesting how CMC stylists in Malaysia were so combat oriented. But is it possible that they were the ones who took the art to that direction rather than CMC himself? 

My grandfather and uncle trained taiji under two of CMC's direct disciples back in the late 60s and early 70s in Taipei, and free-fighting was never part of the curriculum.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun May 28, 2017 4:15 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Interesting how CMC stylists in Malaysia were so combat oriented. But is it possible that they were the ones who took the art to that direction rather than CMC himself? 

My grandfather and uncle trained taiji under two of CMC's direct disciples back in the late 60s and early 70s in Taipei, and free-fighting was never part of the curriculum.

I trained a little with Ben Lo,
he was very adamant about taiji being a martial art.
I also trained under Proffeser Ken Wen Chi, who also learned directly from CMC, who understood and could teach taiji but did not do it from a marital perspective. He was a direct student but not a formal student.

CMC had many students

When I spoke to Huang Hsinghsian about his experiences training with Grandmaster he said that the old gentleman did not like his students using his name when they started teaching. But why was this I ask myself. Was it because so many of his students mixed in their own ideas with what the Grandmaster had taught them? Was it that none of them had really come up to his standard?

"If you are really researching Grandmaster's art then your appreciation will reflect your own level of skill. Someone who is a taiji primary school student will see primary school standard, secondary school student will see secondary school level, a university student will see university level and so on. The more you learn the deeper the art gets. "

http://www.wuweitaichi.com/articles/Mas ... Ah_Tee.htm

If you are really researching Grandmaster's art then your appreciation will reflect your own level of skill.

Maybe those your uncle trained under were not as skilled as they may have thought they were.
Training under a master level teacher does not automatically confer master level skill sets...
Last edited by windwalker on Sun May 28, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 5:07 pm

The teachers they trained under were Gan Xiaozhou and Wu Guozhong, both were well-known disciples of CMC here in Taiwan. Never met them in person, so I can't really tell you how they were in terms of skill levels.

But I will say this though: CMC was never known as a fighter, and there were many who questioned his fighting skills. However, due to his close ties with Chiang Kaishek, being Mrs. Chiang's art teacher, no one dared to challenge him or make him lose face.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun May 28, 2017 5:35 pm

But I will say this though: CMC was never known as a fighter, and there were many who questioned his fighting skills. However, due to his close ties with Chiang Kaishek, being Mrs. Chiang's art teacher, no one dared to challenge him or make him lose face.

Why is this important to bring up, does it speak to his skill or lack of.
You say you never met the other teachers in person and yet feel confident to comment on their skill...
as taught to your grandfathers uncle.

As mentioned in the article different people learned different things according to their level and ability.
Did your grandfathers uncle have any skill?

The teacher's I've met or studied with, Ben Lo, and Professor Chi,
both had skill but in different ways.

I think its up to ones self to test and confirm usage and understanding of "their"
work regardless of who the teacher is or was.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun May 28, 2017 6:41 pm

C.J.W. wrote:no one dared to challenge him or make him lose face.

That's not true. The Zimen master Xiong Jian-Shun did. One day Xiong was sick. Xiong's friend brought CMC to see Xiong. CMC suggested Xiong should train Taiji for health. That made Xiong mad big time.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun May 28, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun May 28, 2017 7:52 pm

C.J.W. wrote:The teachers they trained under were Gan Xiaozhou and Wu Guozhong, both were well-known disciples of CMC here in Taiwan. Never met them in person, so I can't really tell you how they were in terms of skill levels.

Hm, I was told thru different channels, that Xiong Yanghe and Wang Zihe both did show him the ground, no?
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Everyone's a victor once the opponents dead
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 pm

johnwang wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:no one dared to challenge him or make him lose face.

That's not true. The Zimen master Xiong Jian-Shun did. One day Xiong was sick. Xiong's friend brought CMC to see Xiong. CMC suggested Xiong should train Taiji for health. That made Xiong mad big time.

Interesting. Did they ever fight?

The point I was trying to make is that if CMC hadn't been so well-connected to the Chiang family, he most likely would've had to face many more challengers and risked losing his face big time.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 10:34 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:The teachers they trained under were Gan Xiaozhou and Wu Guozhong, both were well-known disciples of CMC here in Taiwan. Never met them in person, so I can't really tell you how they were in terms of skill levels.

Hm, I was told thru different channels, that Xiong Yanghe and Wang Zihe both did show him the ground, no?

Haven't heard those stories before. ;)

I'm not too familiar with Wang, but have been told that Xiong was the real deal.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 pm

windwalker wrote:

Why is this important to bring up, does it speak to his skill or lack of.
You say you never met the other teachers in person and yet feel confident to comment on their skill...
as taught to your grandfathers uncle.

You lost me there. I said I couldn't comment on their skills because I'd never met them in person.

As for CMC, I'm simply stating what I've heard from numerous old-timers here in Taiwan's martial arts circles. He was a controversial figure for sure.

Love him or hate him? To each his own.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 am

Oh yeah, Wang Zihe and ZMQ were friends, more or less, till they got into an argument about real descipleship in the Yang family. Wang put Zheng into the water gully! And Xiong only used one palm to silence Zheng.
In many schools and lineages here in TW ZMQ does not have any good reputation, quite contrary!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon May 29, 2017 2:48 am

CMC may or may not have been a fighter but plenty who followed him were
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan