discovering mma-taiji part 2

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

discovering mma-taiji part 2

Postby cloudz on Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 am

Hey,

This is part 2 of the recent article by Nick Osipzcak. I read it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's a great read. Please enjoy. I know I've recommended him before, but I'm gonna do it again.
Kung Fu guys in the UK and around the world, whatever your style, seek out Nick, he's a great coach and martial artist
Who in my opinion can help raise the communities abilities and training regimen to higher levels. We all love our Kung Fu
so let's make it stronger, together !

www.raisedspirit.com

here's the article:
http://www.jetli.com/2017/05/discoverin ... iji-part-2

ps. Do you think he might hire me as his publicist ? ;D
Last edited by cloudz on Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Re: discovering mma-taiji part 2

Postby yeniseri on Fri May 26, 2017 7:04 am

Great article!
Training beyond one's art is always positive since it is eas(ier) to integrate/consolidate the levels of conditioning and types of encounters.

p.s. no qi was exerted with the observation of this pronouncement
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri May 26, 2017 7:10 am

So cool to see that he stumbled across IMA in this way. Very nicely written article, too.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri May 26, 2017 8:02 am

Nick draws on his experience from his extensive studies of numerous other Martial Arts (both Internal and External) as well as Yoga and Qi-Gong, and teaches the Yang style of Tai Chi Ch'uan.

Just an observation not a comment on the work shown or its effectiveness.
What qualifies his work as that of being internal. What would differentiate it from any other type
of work in the same medium.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 am

Imo, his story is not atypical. Many people start in some other martial art and gain a lot of qualities, but then find that tcc offers them a quality that they didn't get from their previous art. It reminds of times when the teachers of converted karate students would come around to make challenges. But, it also happened between different karate and "kung fu" schools. Not to mention, tcc students often move from one school to another, and there is no mutual respect given simply because people study the same art.

I agree with the guy that, eventually, there's not much point in tournaments or professional sport-fighting apart from the paydays.

Afa putting tcc into mma, I don't think it ever happens in that context. A tcc guy in a ufc match will be doing mma unless his opponent isn't. There are always two sides to every bout, and the opponent always has a say. If the tcc guy gets taken down, he'll be doing mma if he gets back up. That is, unless he practices tcc on the ground. Just like the fight, both guys will be use the result of everything that they've ever done. Whether that has been a successful mix will be determined by the result. That mma guy, of course, might just have studied some tcc ;).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 pm

I watched this guys tai chi a while back it wasn't very deep
I wonder how much he trained or trains it or is it just a badge on his gi
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm not praising or criticizing his level, but you don't need very much taiji to get benefits from it. that's where everyone who always talks about "graduate school" is wrong or only partially correct. it can give you just "elementary school" and even if you stop there, you already got benefit. same with other MAs.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 26, 2017 7:33 pm

everything wrote:I'm not praising or criticizing his level, but you don't need very much taiji to get benefits from it. that's where everyone who always talks about "graduate school" is wrong or only partially correct. it can give you just "elementary school" and even if you stop there, you already got benefit. same with other MAs.

My teacher often tells people from other arts who come to train with him
Tai chi will help your art
Your art won't help tai chi
He has proven himself a host of times
The other thing he tells them is keep training whatever you like just don't show it to me
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 26, 2017 8:11 pm

wayne hansen wrote:1. Tai chi will help your art
2. Your art won't help tai chi

Agree with the 1st one but disagree with the 2nd one.

1. The slow movement of Taiji can help any CMA systems to train "6 harmony". I have changed the long fist back reverse punch into Taiji brush knee for that purpose. I just want to make sure that my hand and foot can coordinate precisely.

2. I have seen people integrated other CMA power generation (such as white crane) into Yang Taiji. Of course Yang Taiji can borrow Chen Taiji power generation method. Also Taiji can be benefitted by SC's leg skill such as sweep, cut, hook, lift, twist, spring, bite, sharpen, ...
Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I think maybe it depends on what we mean by power.
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 pm

everything wrote:I think maybe it depends on what we mean by power.

One punch to kill.

Does CMC style Taiji have power generation? I had argued with people so many times online. No matter how I may look, I just can't find any "power generation" intention in the CMC Taiji solo form training.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm

I honestly have no idea how to explain being moved in a "mysterious" way and being told there is no method other than relaxation, standing, forms, sinking qi to dantian, etc., etc. It defies all logic, mechanics (in the physics sense), belief, video, intellectual understanding, etc.
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Fri May 26, 2017 9:50 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:I think maybe it depends on what we mean by power.

One punch to kill.

Does CMC style Taiji have power generation? I had argued with people so many times online. No matter how I may look, I just can't find any "power generation" intention in the CMC Taiji solo form training.

CMC can demonstrate jin, although it may not be up to your standards ;) Jin is what people should be training in doing taiji/xingyi/bagua forms. Check out his "ward off" at 0:30 - that is jin, not technique.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Who says you only practice slow
Plenty of CMC people have fought full contact
In Malaysia they took on all comers
Just because all things are not shown in public does not mean they are not practiced in private
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 am

everything wrote:I honestly have no idea how to explain being moved in a "mysterious" way and being told there is no method other than relaxation, standing, forms, sinking qi to dantian, etc., etc. It defies all logic, mechanics (in the physics sense), belief, video, intellectual understanding, etc.

how does

It defies all logic, mechanics (in the physics sense), belief, video, intellectual understanding, etc

but this does not
sinking qi to dantian

what is "qi" what is a " dantien"

I note this because its often used and talked about here, with some things yet to be proven taken as a given, and others based on what as yet to be proven,
said to be defy "what ever"

All the things taken as a given are the bases by which the other things that some say defy "what ever" are said to work, although many can be explained using physics to suggest what might be or maybe happening.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan