analyze this gif

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: analyze this gif

Postby Steve James on Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 am

In theory, a wide puncher allows you to go down the middle. Tyson used the uppercut, for ex. The problem, of course, is who has the better defense. Fire and maneuver (or "stick and move") is what Ali used.

In the gif's case, a lot depends on when it occurred in the fight. Was the guy tired, and that's why he seemed to stand there and try to cover up? Or had he been hurt earlier? Let's agree that most people would be scared shit if Fedor was trying to hit them. That's not even counting what would happen after they got hit. (And, I mean me :)).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 am

totally agree. so in theory a linear approach (xingyi perhaps) could be good.

in this particular case, pretty sure that sequence occurs very, very early. IIRC this fight ended super quickly in typical Fedor at-his-peak fashion: stare down where he doesn't look at you in the eye, and looks like he's going to apologize he's late returning your library book. then he is coming at you with overwhelming attacks like an angry mother bear whose cubs you threatened.

p.s. before Fedor was over the hill, Arlovski came very close to beating him: cannot remember if he used some good linear approach. of course then he got overconfident and tried to throw that flying knee which backfired spectacularly.
Last edited by everything on Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 am

I will call that to use

- hay-maker to obtain head lock (clinch),
- head lock and leg block to take down your opponent.

When you do that, your hay-maker is always 45 degree downward.

Last edited by johnwang on Tue May 30, 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Here's a couple more punch to head control videos. Because of the rules, boxers are limited to what they can do. However, they still find ways to control their opponent in real fights, not demonstrations.

Punch, bridge the gap, to head control. Drilling the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GryhIv1rJk

Punch to head contol. You can call it a head trap. Break opponent's structure, off balance, control. Bridge the gap. Hand Trap. Squeeze space to stuff shots. Turn opponent, angle out to advantage positions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmtdzOlTm9w
Last edited by marvin8 on Tue May 30, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Tue May 30, 2017 3:14 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Punch, bridge the gap, to head control. Drilling the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GryhIv1rJk

Looks very much like a common move in Panatukan, a.k.a. Filipino dirty boxing.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 pm

CMA has a lot of this type of strike. In Sanda, the goal of the Baiquan is often also to set up a throw, same as Sambo. I use them all the time. The best counter? Go straight in. The power needs to be trained. It's not just wild swinging. In the first video that I put on my website I demonstrate one of the ways to train this by striking a home-made pad. The power is incredible.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 am

everything wrote:at first it may look like he is just wildly swinging. what do you think?

It's standard Russian styles "casting" punch, can be applied as wave or whip-like movement. You see it in most Russian styles
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 31, 2017 6:14 am

What is the normal Sambo or Russian defense to this style punch?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 am

everything wrote:What is the normal Sambo or Russian defense to this style punch?

From a Systema perspective, the primary defence is movement. Cover if you need to, but the hands are preferred for offensive work over blocking. The difficulty with this and some other types of Systema punch, though is that they are set up in such a way that you don't see them coming. Which is one reason its important to learn taking strikes as well as giving!
So in order for your movement to be effective you must develop good awareness and timing. Then you can hopefully spot the physical / pyshcological "build up" for the strike and be moving as it happens, rather than waiting for the strike to come in and try and deal with it then - in other words, be opportunistic not reactive.
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 am

RobP3 wrote:
everything wrote:What is the normal Sambo or Russian defense to this style punch?

be opportunistic not reactive.

thanks, this makes so much sense.

unfortunately, on a side note, I'm not going to get the opportunity to learn this much striking including sophisticated sparring level. :-\ these RSF threads are my main entertainment on this topic. :-[ 8-) really making me want to go learn.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan