what is your 20% of striking or throwing for 80% of benefit?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

what is your 20% of striking or throwing for 80% of benefit?

Postby everything on Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am

Edit: tried to make question clearer to solicit some replies.

What is the first 20% of striking or throwing stuff that gives a beginner 80% of benefit? What is the minimal stuff I should study?

For example:
Striking: I think johnwang's rhino guard is a great start here, but what else would you recommend?

Throwing: Cartmell's classifications: arc, circle, spiral (movement of the person being thrown) are really helpful to me. Learning only a few throws like a hip throw, a leg reaping throw, a diagonal fly type throw, and maybe a single or double leg takedown seems like a good enough start.

Usually in a given activity, beginners need this first 20%. Intermediates work on many detailed variations. Experts are phenomenal at the basics and might mainly use the first 20% (but done extremely well). Lionel Messi for example keeps it simple but is just insanely good. Throwing experts like Fedor or Rousey must know 100s of throws, but usually use a limited variety of throws in mma.
Last edited by everything on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: 80/20 rules

Postby everything on Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am

Imho, taijiquan does a fair job with the 80/20. It may be missing things or instructors are not aware of them but it is good for beginners and experts.

For example, brush knee provides an easy throw to learn, either facing your partner or the same direction. There are details on contact points but essentially the thrower does the same movement; the throwee moves in an arc or circle either forward or back. Essentially, combining different pulldown, push as split is what you learn.

I don't know if this is as true for striking. John's Rhino guard seems more instructive to me. So already my claim about taiji for 80/20 isn't so true. However, wardoff and rollback with outside of arm and rolling with inside of arm seems like a good defensive start. That kind of "energy" is being used in rhino guard, I would say.
Last edited by everything on Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan