Tai Chi punch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Tai Chi punch

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:55 am

Well, I know lots of people who study Yang tcc and have striking drills. There's a class called Fighting 1 where they practice punches and kicks. Btw, I don't think there is one tcc punch. It's just a strike using a closed fist. You could also ask about the tcc chop or palm or kick.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:22 am

Steve James wrote:I don't think there is one tcc punch.

I don't think Yang Taiji has punch as:

- long fist back reverse punch, or
- boxing cross punch.

We all know that jab may not be a knock down punch. but cross can. If you train straight punch, you have to train "cross".

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:37 am

Steve James wrote:I don't think there is one tcc punch. It's just a strike using a closed fist.

Is it? How would you describe a good strike using a closed fist?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:42 am

Those who can't find every punch in boxing in the tai chi form aren't qualified to talk on either subject
Look in the section after turn round chop with fist
The San shou holds many other variations
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:20 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Those who can't find every punch in boxing in the tai chi form aren't qualified to talk on either subject
Look in the section after turn round chop with fist
The San shou holds many other variations

@ 5:03

Published on Feb 11, 2013
Master Yang Jun explains movements in the second section: Turn Body Chop with Fist, the transition into Parry Block and Punch, and the transition into Grasp the Bird's Tail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5YQyd4DOg
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Taiji is about how you move, how you generate power, not a set of techniques. A taiji fighter should follow the principles - one part of the body moves, the whle body moves, and that requires that you are relaxed, but does it impose other constraints? Taiji should adapt to the situation.

Here are a couple of videos - the guys in the black pants trained in Chen taiji and are or were instructors at Chen Xiaoxing's school. Here they are competing with some muay thai guys following rules that are basically muay thai. They spent six months or a year training according to muay thai rules prior to the fights.

Wang Jinhu

Wang Yan

The physics for a punch are set so given the same application/situation I would suspect that punches from various styles would evolve to be fairly similar.
Last edited by robert on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:50 pm

robert wrote:Taiji is about how you move, how you generate power, not a set of techniques. A taiji fighter should follow the principles - one part of the body moves, the whle body moves, and that requires that you are relaxed, but does it impose other constraints? Taiji should adapt to the situation.

Here are a couple of videos - the guys in the black pants trained in Chen taiji and are or were instructors at Chen Xiaoxing's school. Here they are competing with some muay thai guys following rules that are basically muay thai. They spent six months or a year training according to muay thai rules prior to the fights.

Wang Jinhu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73gR-QtgvDM

Wang Yan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZhdSuuEZ0

marvin8 wrote:Do you believe this taiji shenfa has been displayed in the push hands competitions, tai chi combat competitions, or sparring, that we have seen?

Which goes back to the OP:
GrahamB wrote:I'm interested in what you think.

1. Is there a difference between a good Sanda punch and a good Tai Chi punch? If so, what's your reasoning. And if not, what's your reasoning.

2. If you've been on the receiving end of punches from different styles (say, in competition or sparring) - did they feel different? If so, how?

1. Are Jinhu and Yan doing Tai Chi or Sanda? Is there a difference in their punches?

2. Did JInhu and Yan have a different effect on their opponents?
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 pm

By punch I presume you mean a fist strike. All my Tai Chi 'punches' are curves. Ma Lee Yang describes the fa geng as 'like a pinball' so the pulse from the feet through the core would have a pinball effect on impact on that part of the curve. Also we never just punch it would be a part of a sequence like in 'deflect and punch' one hand pulls the head forwards and down whilst the other punches in a curve upwards. In 'fist under elbow the punching arm cuts through the opponents arm before the punch whilst the other hand presses through the collarbone on the other side destroying the structure in preperation for the strike.
Last edited by Steve Rowe on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Some 'punches' cut down through the eye and the bridge of the nose with the finger joints like in the prelude to 'parry down', some use a backfist from the wrist like in 'yin/yang fist' in the Long Boxing we have a dropping fist in 'Fair Lady Plays Shuttles' so we have a range of fist strikes on curves with pulses.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Is Taiji

- brush knee twist step, or
- fair lady works on shuttle, or
- step out, deflect, grab, and punch

a boxing "cross"?

I have add Taiji "brush knee twist step" into my daily training. IMO, it's completely different from the long fist back hand reverse punch, or boxing "cross".

A long fist punch will require your fist start to twist from your waist all the way and reach to your opponent's body. As far as I know, Taiji punch doesn't have this kind of twisting.
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:26 pm

A hammerfist is a strike with closed hand that's not a punch. But I was just interested why the question was limited to punches.

Afa as the Chen tcc vs Muay Thai, if one wasn't told before, I don't think anyone would say that it was Chen, Wu, or Yang. But, clearly he was using Muay Thai techniques. Watch the stepping. There's a reason.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:10 pm

johnwang wrote:It's not Taiji punch, it's not boxing punch, it's your punch. After you have developed your skill, the term "style" will have little meaning. If you have cross trained Taiji, Baji, white crane, ..., when you throw a punch, you won't know what kind of punch you are throwing.

I have seen people integrate the white crane punch into Yang Taiji. I have also seen people integrated Baji punch into Yang Taiji. So which style should get the credit? Taiji, white crane, or Baji?

All students graduated from the Chinese Central MA Institute would need to train many different CMA styles. None of those students could say that they throw a 100% Taiji punch.

Blending together striking methods from various styles to create your own is fine, but I don't necessarily agree with the idea that "once you've crossed trained, you won't know what kind of punch you are throwing."

Prior to developing an effective blend, you should have already mastered and understood the body mechanics of the styles that you are borrowing from. That means you should also be able to explain and demonstrate to people what specific pieces you have taken from certain styles, and how those pieces add up to create a superior striking method that is better suited for you.

If a cross-trainer doesn't know exactly how his punch works, chances are it's probably sloppy. (And let's face it, there are actually some styles that simply do not blend well.) I believe Adam Hsu has also written at length about the danger of too much mindless cross-training, and advised CMAists to focus just on one or two main styles in order to reach higher skill levels.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Steve James wrote:Afa as the Chen tcc vs Muay Thai, if one wasn't told before, I don't think anyone would say that it was Chen, Wu, or Yang. But, clearly he was using Muay Thai techniques. Watch the stepping. There's a reason.

I agree that what they are doing is Muay Thai. I'm curious about your comment on the stepping. What's different between the Muay Thai stepping and this?

The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Steve Rowe wrote:By punch I presume you mean a fist strike. All my Tai Chi 'punches' are curves. Ma Lee Yang describes the fa geng as 'like a pinball' so the pulse from the feet through the core would have a pinball effect on impact on that part of the curve. Also we never just punch it would be a part of a sequence like in 'deflect and punch' one hand pulls the head forwards and down whilst the other punches in a curve upwards. In 'fist under elbow the punching arm cuts through the opponents arm before the punch whilst the other hand presses through the collarbone on the other side destroying the structure in preperation for the strike.

Thanks. I enjoy reading about different taiji strategies and timing. I believe this strategy may be touched upon in the following excerpt:
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming wrote:Jing’s Substantial Insubstantial

. . . To attack where opponent is strong is called “mutual resistance.” This is inefficient, and contrary to taiji principles. You must train so that you automatically meet the opponent’s substantial (attacking) jing with and insubstantial (defensive) jing. As you defend, you may simultaneously counter or set yourself and your opponent up for your counterattack.

Offensively, attack where the opponent is weak. This does not mean where he is insubstantial because you would be falling into a trap. Instead, attack when he is switching from a substantial jing to an insubstantial, or vice versa. If you catch him just before he emits an offensive jing, you will be able to succeed.

Substantial and insubstantial jing are determined by your yi (mind). When you sense the opponent’s intention, your yi can change your actions from substantial to insubstantial, and vice versa. To facilitate this, do not emit all your energy. Rather, conserve some so that you can easily switch from one technique to another. . . .
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:26 pm

My take on what makes a punch Taiji is very simple: the puncher's movements must embody Taiji principles -- especially the separation of Yin and Yang. If clear separation of Yin and Yang is not observed in various parts of the body when a punch is thrown, it ain't Taiji.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan