Yi Quan and FMT for Prevention and Rehabilitation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Yi Quan and FMT for Prevention and Rehabilitation

Postby Patrick on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 am

Hello,

I wrote an article on how one could use Yi Quan and Focused Muscular Tension exercises for prevention and rehabilitation.

Take Care

Patrick

Before going into the main topic, I want to explicitly state that Yi Quan is a Martial Art and thus has combative aspects. Because of its historical ties to meditative and health traditions, it is also a very valuable art for the preservation of health. Just because the health and therapeutic aspect are emphasized in this article, does not mean that the combative side should be excluded or looked down upon.

One of my main interests is the application of alternative body/movement practices in a therapeutic and preventive context. ´Alternative` does not refer to non-scientific or esoteric concepts (such as Qi, prana or chakras) rather to body/movement practices that have a different paradigm or mind-set than mainstream practices and are therefore less researched by the scientific community – so exact knowledge on the effects are scarce. What we can do is use the already available knowledge of exercise/health and sport science and apply it to the movement art in question and see how it can be used to enhance one’s health.

One can find a lot of anecdotal evidence for the efficacy of Internal Martial Arts such as Yi Quan for improving one´s health. There are even a few studies how for example Tai Ji Quan can reduce the risk for falls among the elderly (Gallant, Tartaglia, Hardman, & Burke, 2017; Zhao, Chung, & Tong, 2017) or how Tai JI Quan reduces depression (Yeung et al., 2017) and so on. To me, these studies are useful but they are not researching what I am really interested in. Here Tai Ji Quan is mere a form of a Choreography with specific characteristics (i.e. a choreography with shifting the weight from one leg to the other with a few specific coordinative challenges, like moving the hands in a specific manner). What I find particularly interesting in Yi Quan is not the Choreography of the movements, but the approach and method to learn, feel and analyse the movement. Its use of awareness to understand the structure of body and how force is applied through it. First, when we talk about how Yi Quan can improve one´s health, it must be explained what “health” is.

Continue: http://dhyana-fitness.at/wordpress/en/y ... ilitation/
Last edited by Patrick on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Re: Yi Quan and FMT for Prevention and Rehabilitation

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 am

YQ & TJQ practised the right way are the same. already back in Wang Xiangzhai, Hu Yaozhen & various notable TJQ masters day's these arts where promoted for their healt benefits....but i think you know this
Trick

Postby Appledog on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:43 am

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:45 am

No inserting or copy&spaste here, have practised both YQ&TJQ from their basics and up....my conclusion there's no difference.
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 am

Ok, one difference i noticed many years ago, for the basic solo practice TJQ gave me a better 'workout' than the basics of YQ
Trick

Postby Appledog on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Raymond Chung did traditional yang from YCF
His son stayed in China and trained with Fu Wing Fei
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan