Anyone familer with this movement in Xin Yi Liu He?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Anyone familer with this movement in Xin Yi Liu He?

Postby Wuji on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 pm

I watched a few videos through my normal youtube hunt, and found a technique that looks interesting. It almost reminds me of the small dragon movement, but the hands aren't together. I also learned small dragon off to the side more then this, with both hands facing out (we actually call it "Dragon rolling through the clouds"). Anyway, this movement looks similar, but different. I was taught "Cat Washes Face" comes up centerline, the cleaning that he (Sifu Peng) is doing seem to come off from the side of the body. Not a huge difference, but still different. I haven't have exposure to other lineages, maybe other lineages teach it differently. Anyway, is anyone familiar with this movement/technique? The link is below. 3:09 is when it starts. The name is listed there, though I've seen another technique with the same name tagged onto it.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcW7j56pRg&t=190s
Wuji
Santi

Re: Anyone familer with this movement in Xin Yi Liu He?

Postby Strange on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 pm

that tiger looks really badass
also smart looking chicken steps :)
like!
Last edited by Strange on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:16 am

Nice-looking Xinyiliuhequan! A little different than ours, though. We do the movement with the hands like his, but without Maoxilian. It's called Xiaolongxing (小龙形).
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 am

One of the forum members, Dnotman, used to train XYLH under the teacher (Master Peng) in the clip.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Dragon has the single attack basic that gets taught first. Then there's the variations like in the video. I've seen it under a few different schools and they were all kind of the same but slightly different. Even the names varied with the words rolling, small, wrapping, wiping being swapped in to describe this Dragon - but that could be a translation problem.

Variations are things like:
- how many steps (there is a 3 step wiping version)
- leaning forward on the strike like in the video or being upright
- moving forward each step or like in the video back and forth
- more horizontal strike vs above the head

In the end what really matters once it's learnt & done with the coordinations is - lower, longer (step), faster! Which is mixed in with the dragon essence of the waist - twist more. Then add the more relaxed whipping whole body power. Then do it flowing and naturally.

Xylh moves are easy to learn and impossible to master because it's never good enough.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:52 pm

These movements are much the same as in the XYLH that Master Qian Zhaohong teaches.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby eshan on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Wuji, that´s Xiao Long Xing for sure, that is small dragon form like you thought initially.
The title is definitely incorrect. It says Long Xing Guo Heng, which is very different from Xiao Long Xing.
Really, I don´t know how they ended mixing them up.
Never mind about the hands not being together.
My teacher comes from the same lineage as Mr. Peng, just one generation before.
Formally he teaches Xiao Long Xing with hands together but when working on his own he often places them separate.
If you have practiced XYLH, you know there is a number of forms where the arms must connect in different ways.
Ie. Yao Shan Ba, Zou Ji Bu, Da Pi, etc. This is done to promote proper alignment and ultimately development of LiuHe. A helper if you will.
But once you have LiuHe and once you understand the form, you are free to refine your structure.
At that point you have to find out the positioning, angles, etc. that are more optimal for you so sometimes some adjustments are called for.
eshan
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan