No more lower back pain

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

No more lower back pain

Postby johnwang on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 pm

I used to have lower back pain. I have not had any lower back pain for the past 10 years. I think the following training had helped me to solve my problem. Just share my personal experience here. Hope it can help at least 1 person to solve his low back pain problem.

1. General warm up:

- Swing waist left and right.
- Bend body forward.
- Bend body backward.
- Rotate waist left and right.

2. Static stretching:

- Put leg on chest high, hold opposite hand on the toes, touch head on the leg.
- Stand in golden rooster stance. Use both hand to pull upper leg to touch chest.
- Stand on one leg. Hold other leg back up in the air. Use opposite hand to hold on rooting leg ankle.
- Do one leg forward and one leg backward floor split.
- Do both legs sideway floor split.

3. Dynamic stretching:

- Inside crescent kick.
- Outside crescent kick.
- Swing leg straight up over the head and touch the hand above the head.
- Swing leg back up.
- Lay down on the ground. Repeat 1 leg outside crescent kick and 1 leg inside crescent kick.
Last edited by johnwang on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: No more lower back pain

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 am

Any hint of pain (resulting from accidental "pulling" it/overloading it via lifting things with poor posture) disappeared after I started running every morning (averaging 4 - 4.5 miles a day). And some freestyle/play-by-ear stretching to keep things flexible/prevent stiffness (mostly downward-facing dog). My explanation is that the hamstrings simply weren't strong/toned enough before.
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: No more lower back pain

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 am

A strong and soft lower back is very important for the general health, IMO. It can not be soft and relaxed if it's not strong. Low form practice and stance work are my own favourite recipes. I never have general problems with my back, but I have messed it up a couple of times in the last ten years. But even if I have hardly been able to move, I have still cured it quickly by just one session of Santishi standing. So this kind of stance work has a great impact on back and on the general alignment of the body. If you have a weak back or troubles with the back, I recommend it strongly.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan