Broke Back Qigong

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Broke Back Qigong

Postby Rhen on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 am

So I was lurking around some forums on facebook and was astonished to see that a Tai Chi marketing guru was claiming how he repaired his broken spine in three places with Qigong and all his students are praising him. this is not the first time I've seen marketing buffs make such claims as it was done two years ago by another butthead with the same type of following.

Please folks, if you break your back/spine please seek professional help and don't decide to practice qigong because your non-medically professional qigong instructor says it is ok to do so.

There was another Tai chi master who died recently cause he refused to go to a doctor due to his abdominal pain. He thought his qigong would make it go away. Do not be stupid folks.

while qigong may be a adjunct to getting you better along with a doctor's approval after proper diagnosis and physical therapy, it is no way a replacement for primary care. It is even worse to have the marketing buttheads make the claims that they do.
Last edited by Rhen on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhen

Re: Broke Back Qigong

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:53 pm

I was expecting so much more from the title of this thread. :-/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:15 pm

The old back injured in a car accident
I thought that was only used to get out of unwanted pushing challenges
Don't worry Grahame just keep doing bjj and all your fantasies will arise
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Re: Back Qigong

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeah Kumar's marketing team is in overdrive. Not to my tastes but it seems to be all the rage these days.

However, he does teach a course called Bend the Bow Shoot the Arrow that I've found very useful. It is very solid chi gung training that goes deep into the spine. Never seen anything like it elsewhere and it's very frustrating and time consuming to practice. He usually teaches it in small groups and prescribes specific postures and variants to work on specific imbalances and disorders. It's hard training but I think it's pretty good stuff.
As for the online training, that's not my thing. Some people may get something from it, but I'm more old fashioned I guess.

Selling any chi gung as a cure-all is absurd and nobody should ever drink too much kool aid when it comes to the promises of energy practices. Be smart and go to the doctor. Thinking you can fix everything with chi gung is deluded, but some people will always go too far down the rabbit hole, rather than having common sense and seeking professional assessment.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 pm

He's not the only one to use that excuse
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:29 pm

From the thread title I thought maybe Li Ang was gonna do a Pushing Hands sequel in the Canadian Rockies about "sensitivity exercises" that cure spinal injuries. /s
Michael

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:47 am

I thought it was going to be another thread about rectums and anus's...
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan