My Possible Badge System

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: My Possible Badge System

Postby northern_mantis on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:22 am

RobP3 wrote:
northern_mantis wrote:FWIW I really like the idea. You've got to have a USP (or many) if you want to be a commercial success. The belt system is tired but people like collecting stuff.

I find teaching good stuff in an accessible way is a good USP. To be honest, my lot would just laugh if I offered them a badge for "Falls and Rolls" or "Taking Strikes". Kids, maybe there's a case for it, like they do in the cubs and scouts. But adults....really?

You're quite right, sounds like your crew are a bit more discerning. I'm just thinking from the point of view of people's appetites for aethstetics and products, maybe more so in the US?
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby RobP3 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:27 am

northern_mantis wrote:
RobP3 wrote:
northern_mantis wrote:FWIW I really like the idea. You've got to have a USP (or many) if you want to be a commercial success. The belt system is tired but people like collecting stuff.

I find teaching good stuff in an accessible way is a good USP. To be honest, my lot would just laugh if I offered them a badge for "Falls and Rolls" or "Taking Strikes". Kids, maybe there's a case for it, like they do in the cubs and scouts. But adults....really?

You're quite right, sounds like your crew are a bit more discerning. I'm just thinking from the point of view of people's appetites for aethstetics and products, maybe more so in the US?

Could be, though I think generally here in the UK that would be the same. Granted, we do have some schools here which are heavily marketed along almost coporate lines. So lots of stylish ads (with little content), logos, matching uniforms, aggressive social media, etc. Interesting to see how they fare long term, I suspect not so well. Sizzle gets people in through the door, but you need the steak to keep them
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 am

At the end of the day there's what works and what doesn't. You have to decide on who you want to teach and then get to know your potential student base. Then you have to construct what you want to achieve in line with what they want. Look around at similar successful clubs to see how they do it. They've already done the research and probably tried to do some of the things you're considering. Don't re-invent the wheel.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:43 pm

I kind of wonder if your idea of using badges to encourage people to work harder would also discourage people that aren't getting the results they seek? In Asia students' class rankings (in normal school, not martial art) are literally posted on the wall, but in the US I think people would blow their minds if they do that.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Possibly, but since this stuff is proven to produce results (at least to me) and I am a good teacher (not bragging), if they don't achieve results it means that they aren't working hard enough. I was weak and sucked balls. It takes hard work and dedication. I will probably go with the wall thing (if I have a wall...), but not post rankings, just achievements.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby driftwood on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:53 pm

If you want to be successful in the US, I recommend pursuing the fitness and conditioning angle. Actually, nobody here cares about your competition records, especially in something they've never heard of like sanda. It appears to be really about what they look like in the mirror first, and brag-able accomplishments second. So, I would consider looking at cross-fit and the fitness tracker craze for inspiration, that is if you intend to live off of your work in this area. You can help a reasonable number of people get fit and healthy and possibly glean a few serious students. As you said, "if they don't achieve results it means that they aren't working hard enough." So, you have to appeal to basic American narcissism and competitiveness. I also think you could consider prodding them with sticks (that you might a find at no cost in your outdoor training location) but remember to get them to sign a waiver.

So, how about a "completion of 1,000 arm bashes against a tree" achievement earning you the previously posted "you're toast" badge? I quite like that badge.
driftwood
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I don't know about signing a waiver.
Here in Australia it means nothing
You can't sign away your rights under law.
All the money is in teaching kids,little ninjas etc.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan