Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Postby willie on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 am

After training for many years in Taiji, I have found that a lot of taiji players consider weight training as something
undesirable. There are many health benefits associated with resistance training. Taiji doesn't really require great strength,
But that doesn't mean that people cant reap in the many rewards of resistance training and having a good understanding of macro-nutrition.

Strength training.

Marco-nutrition and proper diet.

Thanks
willie

Re: Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:19 am

My opinion on weight training are:

- Treat it as something you will do when you are 80 years old.
- If you can lift X lb, try to just lift X-10 lb. If you can do N reps, try to do 1.5N or 2N reps.
- The most important is you should "enjoy" while you are doing it. If you feel it's "hard work", you may life more than you should.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 am

- Treat it as something you will do when you are 80 years old.
- If you can lift X lb, try to just lift X-10 lb. If you can do N reps, try to do 1.5N or 2N reps.
- The most important is you should "enjoy" while you are doing it. If you feel it's "hard work", you may lift more than you should.

+1
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby willie on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:58 am

Doing the right things isn't suppose to be easy.
Day 4, Feeling great! Definitely loving it John...
Last edited by willie on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby Appledog on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 am

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 am

What did you mean by macro nutrition? Getting mix of protein etc to help your training progress?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 am

What "indoor" training I have seen in one of the main Yang Family lineages involves heavy weapons, an iron staff, a large iron ball as well as a lot of "resistance" training with a partner (Dynamic Push Hands). I'm sure other family styles have similar Indoor" methods. I sometimes wonder if teachers tell people they don't need "strength" in order to stay stronger than them :)
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 am

that would be pretty funny. pretty obviously (according to common sense, almost), you don't want to use "awkward" strength but you need some amount of strength to lift a weapon, luggage, squat down, etc.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Appledog wrote:
Anyone who does weight training of any kind will completely destroy their ability to do tai chi.

JMO

Do you even lift bro? ??? ;D
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:54 pm

everything wrote:lift luggage, ....

In another thread, we had come to the conclusion that Taiji is supposed to be trained by person who is rich. All Taiji masters have their own slaves to lift luggage for them.

Lift luggage -> sweat -> bad
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:14 pm

RobP3 wrote:What "indoor" training I have seen in one of the main Yang Family lineages involves heavy weapons, an iron staff, a large iron ball as well as a lot of "resistance" training with a partner (Dynamic Push Hands). I'm sure other family styles have similar Indoor" methods. I sometimes wonder if teachers tell people they don't need "strength" in order to stay stronger than them :)

What lineage is that?
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:lift luggage, ....

In another thread, we had come to the conclusion that Taiji is supposed to be trained by person who is rich. All Taiji masters have their own slaves to lift luggage for them.

Lift luggage -> sweat -> bad

hahaha yes. you still need some strength for ADL (activities of daily living). getting out of your chair, picking up your beer, moving the laundry (oh wait you're too rich for that). I think Snake Creeps Down takes some strength, maybe not as much as pistols (one leg squats).
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Below is a link to a pretty good article about strength training in taiji. As David points out

Chen Taijiquan requires the body to be used in a unique disciplined way and has a wide-ranging training curriculum encompassing standing-pole exercise, single-movement exercises, barehand forms, push hands, weapons and supplementary equipment training. In common with other sports or martial arts, it is essential to begin with the basics. With time and conscientious practice, the body is strengthened and one discovers a new means of moving. ...

Once a person understands that the body is used in a unique disciplined way and understands that neijin is a different way of moving weight training can be used to strengthen the body in this new type of movement. If a person is studying taiji and they can't lift more weight more comfortably and perform daily activities more easily they should look for a better instructor.

http://chentaijiquanworld.blogspot.com/p/strength-training-in-taijiquan.html
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Chang Taiji trainers hold bricks on both hands to finish 108 moves Chang Taiji long form to "enhance" the body structure and Peng Jing. It may be easy to do that for 24 moves short Yang form. But for 108 moves long form, it's that that easy.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby willie on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Appledog wrote:
willie wrote:After training for many years in Taiji, I have found that a lot of taiji players consider weight training as something
undesirable. There are many health benefits associated with resistance training. Taiji doesn't really require great strength,
But that doesn't mean that people cant reap in the many rewards of resistance training and having a good understanding of macro-nutrition.

Anyone who does weight training of any kind will completely destroy their ability to do tai chi.

Sure, there is a case for doing specialized weight training once you are at the advanced level, however the way this is usually discussed should make it clear that isn't what we are talking about here.

Chart illustrating the difference between weight training and tai chi:
tai chi <-------------- [ beginner ] --------------> weight training

If you do this kind of stuff, when (if) you ever figure out what you've actually done to your body you will have to go all the way back to being a beginner just to get on the correct path again. And some forms of muscle development are semi-permanent. Depending on how you train and how old you are, you run the risk of doing permanent damage and being unable to learn tai chi for the rest of your life.

JMO

Your making one hell of an assumption. Are you sure?
willie

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan