Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Resistance training and Macro-nutrition

Postby willie on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:40 pm

cloudz wrote:For S&C Is benching everyday for 30 days considered good protocal these days ?
I thought not, as you aren't giving your body recovery time and that's when you make your best gains strength wise, as I understand it. I'm no expert on these matters though..

Also you use the term body building. Most people associate that with the aesthetic angle being predominant and the higher utilization of isolation training. Is that the case for you, would you say?

So for example, do you have an opinion on say body building vs. power lifting?

It's always a question of what you're training for, and of course using resistence in whatever form has it's pro's.
Nice to see you again anyway, and you're looking buff man.. nice.

Once again, You are correct.
I usually only hit chest twice a week. My normal routine is training body parts.
I'll tell you why I decided to do 30 days.
When I was younger and first started lifting, I made incredible gains. That was before I knew anything about recovery time.
I was benching everyday because it was fun. I had a small work out section set up in my welding/machine shop.
I used to go to the steel junkyards and get scrap steel plates. Then turn them on my lathe and make them into weights.
This kept me excited about trying them out. It was like kid's / young man ambition I would say, But it worked.
I left serious weightlifting for more then a decade. Anyway's that kid that I was long ago was strong as a bastard!
So I guess that I'm trying to match my old self.

I'm kind-of a mix of power lifting and body building. I enjoy lifting heavy low rep's, like 3's

Thanks for the complement.

Day 11, A little burnt out. But feeling great.
willie

Postby amor on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm

willie wrote:
Thanks for the complement

Day 11, A little burnt out. But feeling great.

If you want to avoid any adverse health risks I would keep your body-building activities to no more than 3 (or even 2 ) times a week. No need for this 30 day or any long periods of such activities that you might feel like doing say, in future. Keep the energy reserves for more body-critical functions. But then again you might have an industrial strength stomach that can quickly replenish you, if not be careful.
Last edited by amor on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amor
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 pm

willie wrote: I enjoy lifting heavy low rep's, like 3's

I have progressed my lift from:

10 lifts, 6 reps -> 15 lifts, 4 reps -> 20 lifts, 3 reps.

Believe it or not, yesterday was the 1st time that I could do 20 lifts non-stop. I'll be happy one day I can reach to 30 lifts, 2 reps.

amor wrote:no more than 3 (or even 2 ) times a week.

Agree! 3 times a week should be good enough. If you know you won't be doing everyday when you are 80 years old, why do you want to do it everyday now? IMO, all training should be "long term". Any "short term" training is useless.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 am

johnwang wrote:
willie wrote: I enjoy lifting heavy low rep's, like 3's

I have progressed my lift from:

10 lifts, 6 reps -> 15 lifts, 4 reps -> 20 lifts, 3 reps.

Believe it or not, yesterday was the 1st time that I could do 20 lifts non-stop. I'll be happy one day I can reach to 30 lifts, 2 reps.

amor wrote:no more than 3 (or even 2 ) times a week.

Agree! 3 times a week should be good enough. If you know you won't be doing everyday when you are 80 years old, why do you want to do it everyday now? IMO, all training should be "long term". Any "short term" training is useless.

I usually only train bench twice a week.
The first bench day (Monday) is usually a heavy day, High weight / low rep. 5's, 3's, 1's.
The second bench day (Thursday) is usually a light day. Low weight/ high rep. 25's, 15's, 12's.

The question is, Could the body be trained to recover faster?
Just like doing low stance form work. The legs will adapt to the extended load.
Even guys with real big legs will find low stances very hard to hold.
For me, doing those low stances everyday is the only thing that really forced my legs to adapt.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am

willie wrote:I usually only train bench twice a week.
The first bench day (Monday) is usually a heavy day, High weight / low rep. 5's, 3's, 1's.
The second bench day (Thursday) is usually a light day. Low weight/ high rep. 25's, 15's, 12's.

Just like doing low stance form work. The legs will adapt to the extended load.
Even guys with real big legs will find low stances very hard to hold.
For me, doing those low stances everyday is the only thing that really forced my legs to adapt.

Once or twice a week sounds more productive. As you get older, you need more time to recover and should be smarter. :) I don't think more than that would be productive, maybe if you are on PEDs (e.g., steroids). I would think your gains would be greater with more time for recovery.

If you don't already know, Westside Barbell is well known for their powerlifting programs. There is an article on their bench workout here, BENCH PRESS WORKOUT from https://www.westside-barbell.com/blogs/ ... ss-workout.

Westside Barbell DVD Teaser.

Published on Dec 28, 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YgLEMmeFtA

For anyone interested on a deal on whey protein starting yesterday, 11lb Impact Whey Protein (Various Flavors) + 0.5lb Creatine $50 + $1 S&H from https://slickdeals.net/f/10375376-mypro ... e#comments:
Major_Gatsby, Jul. 19, 2017 at 10:03am wrote:MyProtein offers 2x 5.5lb Impact Whey Protein (Various Flavors) + 0.5lb Creatine (Blue Raspberry) for $49.99 when you apply discount code WHEY49 at checkout. Shipping is free on orders $70+, otherwise shipping is $1. Thanks Major_Gatsby

Note, must add quantity of 2 of the 5.5lb size to cart.

I just ordered some, today.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:57 pm

marvin8 wrote:

Once or twice a week sounds more productive. As you get older, you need more time to recover and should be smarter. :) I don't think more than that would be productive, maybe if you are on PEDs (e.g., steroids). I would think your gains would be greater with more time for recovery. [/quote]

Hi Marvin. Thank you for your point of view.
Back in the mid 90's, I was working out in a new gym. I didn't know anyone there.
So I put on 225 and did it 12/14 times. I was pretty proud of my bench back then, I was between 148/152 LBS with a 30 inch waist.
This guy comes over and asked to jump in. So the guy presses 225 more then 40 times. I don't remember the exact number but it was
closer to 50 times. The guy was huge. Anyways I asked him what his system was. he said that he does only 1 set of every exercise everyday.
He did whole body workouts instead of body parts.
I'm not saying that one is better then then other. Instead I'd rather try it for myself. Hanh is one of the guys that I like.
He follows Josh Bryant strength systems.

My rendering computer when down today after filming day 13, So I don't think that I can finish the 30 days on film. :(
I'm not going to buy a new rendering computer for a while. So this will be my last video of the set unless I can fix my old one.
Thanks for watching.
Last edited by willie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 pm

willie wrote:
marvin8 wrote:Once or twice a week sounds more productive. As you get older, you need more time to recover and should be smarter. :) I don't think more than that would be productive, maybe if you are on PEDs (e.g., steroids). I would think your gains would be greater with more time for recovery.

Hi Marvin. Thank you for your point of view.
Back in the mid 90's, I was working out in a new gym. I didn't know anyone there.
So I put on 225 and did it 14 times. I was pretty proud of my bench back then, I was between 148/152 LBS with a 30 inch waist.
This guy comes over and asked to just in. So the guy presses 225 more then 40 times. I don't remember the exact number but it was
closer to 50 times. The guy was huge. Anyways I asked him what his system was. he said that he does only 1 set of every exercise everyday.
He did whole body workouts instead of body parts.
I'm not saying that one is better then then other. Instead I'd rather try it for myself. Hanh is one of the guys that I like.
He follows Josh Bryant strength systems.

My rendering computer when down today after filming day 13, So I don't think that I can finish the 30 days on film. :(

Willie,

I didn't proofread my post well enough. It wasn't meant to be as much a viewpoint on your specific workout. As, I only watched one video and have no idea how much weight you were lifting, how many sets, reps, etc. I don't know what your goals are, what your workout is, future workouts, etc.

I did not read the Westside Barbell bench program or pay attention to your workout. So, I don't have enough information to comment on them. I do not have a direct viewpoint or critique on your specific workout. Just a overall general viewpoint, not specifically directed towards you.

I meant to say something like, "As you get older, you need more time to recover and are getting smarter. :)" There is a different intention and meaning in there somewhere.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm

marvin8 wrote:Willie,

I didn't proofread my post well enough. It wasn't meant to be as much a viewpoint on your specific workout. As, I only watched one video and have no idea how much weight you were lifting, how many sets, reps, etc. I don't know what your goals are, what your workout is, future workouts, etc.

I did not read the Westside Barbell bench program or pay attention to your workout. So, I don't have enough information to comment on them. I do not have a direct viewpoint or critique on your specific workout. Just a overall general viewpoint, not specifically directed towards you.

I meant to say something like, "As you get older, you need more time to recover and are getting smarter. :)" There is a different intention and meaning in there somewhere.

So, to paraphrase, "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I like to type shit on the internet. Here's some advice based on nothing."

The Conjugate system is a very specific method designed for high level competitive powerlifters who compete in full lifting gear. You could find a method that's less suited to MA or general health and fitness, but you'd have to work at it...
Last edited by Bhassler on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Bhassler wrote:
marvin8 wrote:Willie,

So, to paraphrase, "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I like to type shit on the internet. Here's some advice based on nothing."

No. I think you like stirring/typing sh*t. I waited for willie to post his comment on the twice a week workouts, which I agreed on:
willie wrote:I usually only train bench twice a week. . . .

marvin8 wrote:Once or twice a week sounds more productive.

My opinion is based on decades of my own experience in weight training, reading and referring others to info or people they may have interest in. I do not claim to be an expert. That is why I posted a bench press workout and video of Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell who is considered by many to be knowledgeable about powerlifting and bench pressing, something willie mentioned.

willie also mentioned bodybuilding. Working each body part once a week or once every 5 days is a general bodybuilding program. Everyone has their own motivations, reasons for doing things and length of time in doing things. I don't believe everyone has to do the same program and needs to know how their body responds.

Bhassler wrote:The Conjugate system is a very specific method designed for high level competitive powerlifters who compete in full lifting gear. You could find a method that's less suited to MA or general health and fitness, but you'd have to work at it...

I have no idea what the Conjugate system is, not into powerlifting and was never into debating the subject. Again, I only entered the thread when willie mentioned twice a week benching, which I agreed on. Some powerlifters are using PEDs and can work out more and recover faster. My belief is recovery is important, however one gets it.

I post comments as this is a discussion board. You can believe or agree with my posts or not, which are sincere.
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm

marvin8 wrote:I post comments as this is a discussion board. You can believe or agree with my posts or not, which are sincere.

In response to a workout regimen about which you admittedly know nothing (Willie's), you post a video about which you also know nothing (Louie Simmons' Westside Barbell, aka the Conjugate Method), make some generic comments that have nothing to do with either, and this is what you consider "discussion"?

<Nothing to see here, please move along...> That is absurd. Every now and again I see something that is so fucking ridiculously inane that I just can't force myself to let it stand (see: comments from the post regarding Kevin Wallbridge's writings on small heavenly orbit). I try to inject a small bit of reason into the conversation, then almost immediately regret it. Carry on, by all means, and certainly don't question whether or not you or anyone is actually applying any sort of logic, reason, or context to anything they say. We are all special snowflakes and deserve to be heard for ourselves, and not just because we contribute meaningful and relevant content to the subject at hand.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Bhassler wrote:
marvin8 wrote:I post comments as this is a discussion board. You can believe or agree with my posts or not, which are sincere.

In response to a workout regimen about which you admittedly know nothing (Willie's), you post a video about which you also know nothing (Louie Simmons' Westside Barbell, aka the Conjugate Method), make some generic comments that have nothing to do with either, and this is what you consider "discussion"?

Nothing to see here, please move along...> That is absurd. Every now and again I see something that is so fucking ridiculously inane that I just can't force myself to let it stand (see: comments from the post regarding Kevin Wallbridge's writings on small heavenly orbit). I try to inject a small bit of reason into the conversation, then almost immediately regret it. Carry on, by all means, and certainly don't question whether or not you or anyone is actually applying any sort of logic, reason, or context to anything they say. We are all special snowflakes and deserve to be heard for ourselves, and not just because we contribute meaningful and relevant content to the subject at hand.

willie mentioned powerlifting, bodybuilding, daily workouts, and twice a week workouts. Some of those things I know about others I referred to an article and posted a video. I have experience and knowledge in weight training, which I commented on.

Again, I agreed/responded to the twice a week bench workouts that willie stated, let him and others know there was a current deal on whey protein and directed him to an authority on benching and powerlifting.

Also regarding bullys: a person has a right to defend themselves against a bully throwing a first punch at them: http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24413

What is with your signature, Wallbridge, and on all your foul language? -shrug- -zzz-
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 am

marvin8 wrote:willie mentioned powerlifting, bodybuilding, daily workouts, and twice a week workouts. Some of those things I know about others I referred to an article and posted a video. I have experience and knowledge in weight training, which I commented on.

Again, I agreed/responded to the twice a week bench workouts that willie stated, let him and others know there was a current deal on whey protein and directed him to an authority on benching and powerlifting.

Posting a video you didn't watch about a method you don't understand doesn't add meaning to the conversation, it's just noise. Periods of daily work on an exercise are not unusual programs in the strength training world, and are done for specific reasons. Similarly, there are ongoing programs designed to run 5 days a week indefinitely. A generic statement of "two days a week" without context shows no knowledge of the subject matter and again adds nothing to the conversation. Overall, it was a silly post with very little value, much like many other posts here and elsewhere on the internet. It just has the distinct (dis)advantage of being simple enough to make it easy to point out why it was essentially all noise and no signal.

marvin8 wrote:Also regarding bullys: a person has a right to defend themselves against a bully throwing a first punch at them: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24413

Noted.

marvin8 wrote:What is with your signature, Wallbridge, and on all your foul language? -shrug- -zzz-

That's not a signature, it's a passive-aggressive rant. It was originally an aggressive-aggressive rant, but I toned it down. Then I decided that I really shouldn't post it at all, but I kind of liked it, so decided to post it anyway, but in teeny-tiny font. You're not the only one who likes to hear themselves talk, you know. But just because you or I or anyone posts something on the interwebs doesn't mean they have to defend it if other valid points are raised.

And I'm sorry if my use of the f-word made your ears burn, but I felt it added a bit of emphasis to the statement. I refuse to apologize for the use of the word "snowflake", however.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 am

Bhassler wrote:
marvin8 wrote:willie mentioned powerlifting, bodybuilding, daily workouts, and twice a week workouts. Some of those things I know about others I referred to an article and posted a video. I have experience and knowledge in weight training, which I commented on.

Posting a video you didn't watch about a method you don't understand doesn't add meaning to the conversation, it's just noise.

In your own words:
Bhassler wrote:The Conjugate system is a very specific method designed for high level competitive powerlifters who compete in full lifting gear. You could find a method that's less suited to MA or general health and fitness, but you'd have to work at it...

. . . (Louie Simmons' Westside Barbell, aka the Conjugate Method)

Per you, I referred willie to "a very specific method," "high level," that "You could find a method that's less suited to MA or general health and fitness, but you'd have to work at it..."

How does that not "add meaning to the conversation" How is it "just noise?"

Bhassler wrote:A generic statement of "two days a week" without context shows no knowledge of the subject matter and again adds nothing to the conversation.

The response to willie, an experienced bodybuilder, was specific, not "generic." Again the statements were:
willie wrote:I usually only train bench twice a week. . . .

marvin8 wrote:Once or twice a week sounds more productive. . . . I don't think more than that would be productive, maybe if you are on PEDs (e.g., steroids). I would think your gains would be greater with more time for recovery.

The "context" is bodybuilding and recovery. willie understands, "once or twice a week" refers to working "body parts," as he states here:
willie wrote:I was a very dedicate body builder all though the 90's.
this post was not to offend taiji players who's opinion differs from mine. As everyone here knows
I am a taiji player" My goal is to inspire people. . . .

I body build and I think it's just great. . . .

I usually only hit chest twice a week. My normal routine is training body parts. . . .

I'm kind-of a mix of power lifting and body building. I enjoy lifting heavy low rep's, like 3's

I also defined it here:
marvin8 wrote:Working each body part once a week or once every 5 days is a general bodybuilding program.
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby choldstare on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 am

I found the forum you were looking for Willie.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/
choldstare
Santi

Postby willie on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm

choldstare wrote:I found the forum you were looking for Willie.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/

Hi Thanks, but no. This is about having a strong body and offers a different view other then the typical taiji instructors view
of weight lifting.
In my opinion it is not necessary to let muscle waste away.

I'm wondering where all the false information has came from?

If a person has the ability to stand, walk, talk, and everything else, Then it is because his/her muscles are working.
So, enhancing the muscle and strengthening the body only makes taiji even better.

Thanks for your point of view.
willie

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan