Flexibility of the lower extremity in Taijiquan

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Flexibility of the lower extremity in Taijiquan

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm

You have no idea of the people I have met
I can't quite work out where I am derailing the thread
I know kao lien told the teeth to toe story but we have no idea if it is true or not
The ban Hao clip above is interesting but so different to kuang ping style that we wonder how they could differ so much in two generations with only 3 disciples
I see the benifit in this type of training for leg strength bot don't see where it goes beyond pistol squats
At the same time I can see a lot of double weighting
You talk about having knowledge that I don't have but I yet to see any proof of that

When you start talking about what your experiences are vs mine I would say that tends to
derail it just like now with my reply.

Taiji is said to be about training the body to follow the dictates of the mind.
There are a couple of ways and approaches for doing this, not the subject of the thread nor this post.

Whether the Ban Ho, story was true or not the fact is that some teachers Kuo, being of the them used this as an entrance into their teachings.

Kuo became one of only four inner-door disciples of Wang Jiao-Yu, himself one of only two inner-door students of Yang Pan-hou. Yang Pan-hou was the son of the originator of what has become known as Guang Ping Yang t'ai chi ch'uan: Yang Luchan born Kuang-p'ing (Guangping) and known as the founder of Yang-style tai chi chuan. After completing "Chin to Toe" in 100 days Kuo was taught the Guang Ping Yang t'ai chi ch'uan from the 100-year-old master Wang Jiao-Yu.

The benefits of the training kind of depend as to how close one wants to replicate what was said of some past masters the yang founder being one of them.
There are also qi gong related benefits dependent on age regarding the training, which past a certain age are no longer available.

As to knowing who you know or you knowing who I know, I guess it depends on the experience if it matters or not.

Within my experience what you noted on PH it's not really true.
Which to me would seem to indicate that our experiences may be different.

Not here to teach, or educate.
I do find the conversations interesting at times.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Just a thought on yang ban Hou,s lineage
Look at the post on new style tai chi and nialls lineage chart
I had 3 teachers who trained in the Chen wing Kwong lineage
See the connection to Ban Hou
One of my teachers beside doing the Wu form also did Ban Hou,s form
Even though I didn't learn it I saw it so often I knew it well
It was much closer to the traditional yang form than either the kuang pin form or lower stance form done here
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:56 pm

My last teacher, never mentioned his teacher's name, however a lot of things mentioned about the yang family line
was illustrated in the training that some of old yang family members were said to do.

It was said his teacher had learned directly from one of the yang family members. Really not so important to me only mention
it in passing. How reflective his form is relative to other yang lines, I'd have to say it seemed very different, probably due in part
to his bagua back ground. For me it was the skill sets I was interested in, not really about the history, linage or movement.

Also practiced with teachers who studied or learned directly from the Tung/Dong family as well as directly from CMC in taiwan.

Regardless of teacher or linage, all the taiji, I experienced was physically demanding if one really met the requirements.

Only noted the low training with my last teacher. Which he taught to those interested. The leg conditioning was said to take
about 3 yrs. While it offered what I would say were some unique skill sets. It was not something I was interested in directly.

He did have an informal requirement of being able to do a squatting type of movement keeping the body vertical doing it.
With out being able to do this some of the movements and functionality could not be done and was not available in what we did.

Being informal, it was not stressed so much,
but if one was looking for real skill and usage they had to be able
to endure the pain and the practice.

some of his history can be found here https://journeytoemptiness.com/2017/01/ ... yongliang/
There is not much about him on the net.

Dropped all other things in order to fully understand the what, how and why....for about 10yrs.
now reintegrating it into my own work.

Only posted in reference to the OPs question
Some Chinese suggestions for movement or flexibility of the lower extremity:

Suō缩,luò落,zuò坐,tā塌,kāi开,hé合,zhuǎn转,xuán旋,tuō脱,tí提,sòng送,chōu抽,kòu扣

Google translated as the followings:
Shrink, drop, sit, collapse, open, together, turn, spin, off, mention, send, pumping, buckle,
I am trying to relate them to Tai Chi forms and anatomical movement, any comment is welcome.

As an example of low basin work done in what I felt was a unique way that I have not seen in other taiji styles or practices.
How functionally useful it is, kinda depends on ones approach and specialization.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:53 pm

It was much closer to the traditional yang form than either the kuang pin form or lower stance form done here

I've never see YPH's form done in that low position. It reminds me of Zhaobao style. Iinm, one of the videos that come after the one on YT is of his father or grandfather doing a smaller frame. Obviously, he's much older.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan