Most Representative Techniques for Thirteen Postures?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Most Representative Techniques for Thirteen Postures?

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 am

Steve James wrote:Gaze and look are interchangeable in English.

In Han (Han Chin-Tang) Taiji system, those 4 directions are replaced by 闪转腾挪(Shan, Zhuan, Teng, Nuo) - dodge, turn, jump up, jump back. IMO, those 4 body methods make more sense than forward, backward, left, right.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 am

MaartenSFS wrote:It seems obvious to me that I'll have to train these differently than Xingyi. I suppose my main goal is to achieve these skills in as short a time as possible, whilst skipping the form, and then testing them.

Some xingyi sets have a somewhat similar feel to the main jins your talking about in TJQ. But it's much harder to learn them the xingyi way IMO as the contact is often broken (by design) for the sake of training the intercepting ability.

I would still argue that the fastest way to learn these is through the tuishou routines that emphasize them. The reason is that you can get a lot of instant feedback on your structure (if your training partner is good enough) compared to doing a two-man form or practicing solo techniques. I do agree that not all ways of doing tuishou would be useful in this regard though.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:01 am

Well, methods aren't directions. But all methods will use left or right, forward or back. There's also up and down, but afa terminology, there's dodging, slipping, ducking, and other forms of evasion. Still, all use l,r,f, or back. All turns have to go left or right.

Hey, there's nothing wrong about dodge, turn, etc. They are specific; forward and backward are general.

Besides, the issue was the difference between look and gaze. It's the same, imo, as if you replaced dodge with evade, or use rotate instead of turn, or leap instead of jump. As in "dodge left," "evade right." There might be a difference, but it's really a matter of interpretation.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby robert on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am

johnwang wrote:In Han (Han Chin-Tang) Taiji system, those 4 directions are replaced by 闪转腾挪(Shan, Zhuan, Teng, Nuo) - dodge, turn, jump up, jump back. IMO, those 4 body methods make more sense than forward, backward, left, right.

Chen Xiaowang has mentioned something similar.

Teng - drop down
Shan - spring up
Zhe - folding, fold the opponent's arm across his body
Kong - empty, to suddenly move away from a push leaving the opponent off balance
Huo - lively, everything should be done in a lively manner

See Internal Martial Arts, October 1999.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Steve James wrote:Well, methods aren't directions. But all methods will use left or right, forward or back.

The five directions is a Chinese philosophical concept prevalent in Daoist cosmology and belong to the terminology of Tai Chi Chuan. The five directions generate space, generating space generates movement, this movement is the five elements, through the creative force of the five elements, the eight trigrams are born. Organizing every combination of the trigrams in each direction means the 64 hexagrams. This is the origin of the concept of the 13 principles. The five directions are thus merely meant as directions and there was originally never any intention to regard them as techniques. Why? Because every posssible technique can already be found in combining the 8 techniques with the 8 techniques in the five directions. They are already there, so any other technique on top of this would be superficial. Now, I can only speak of what is logical according to classical theory. How people interprete it nowadays is different. If Chen Xiaowang can call the five directions whatever he wants, so can you.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Bao wrote: If Chen Xiaowang can call the five directions whatever he wants, so can you.

I truly don't know by understanding

- front, back, left, right,
- east, south, west, north,

can help you to improve your MA skill in any way.

But if I know how to

- move my body side way,
- rotate my body,
- jump up,
- hop back,

it can help my combat skill.

Here is an example of "挪(Nuo) - hop back".

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:41 pm

johnwang wrote:
Bao wrote: If Chen Xiaowang can call the five directions whatever he wants, so can you.

I truly don't know by understanding

- front, back, left, right,
- east, south, west, north,

can help you to improve your MA skill in any way.

Yes!
My point exactly. 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Believe it or not, I have seen someone gave a 2 hours workshop just for "定(Ding) - center". The most abstract workshop that I have ever seen was a 2 hours Zimen principle "残(Can) - injure".
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm

Are there any examples of Hans tai chi on line
The only thing I can find is a northern Shaolin broadsword form
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Look is focused, pointed,...or, the actual thing

Gaze is diffuse, peripheral,...or, what is made to seem to be

Both are abstract, conceptual maybes, which frog off of whatever's happening - like context.

Teng-no and Shan-chan are 'attitudes' or intent for training and applying Thirteen Torso Methods
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Are there any examples of Hans tai chi on line?

Here is my long fist teacher Li Mao-Ching's "Han Taiji". He is 91 years old today. He learned from GM Han Chin-Tang.

Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:31 pm

johnwang wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Are there any examples of Hans tai chi on line?

Here is my long fist teacher Li Mao-Ching's "Han Taiji". He is 91 years old today. He learned from GM Han Chin-Tang.

How many years ago was that? The vid was put up 2011, but how much older is he? Look at his back and neck when he moves, very flexible for a late eighty years old. Loved that performance, great shenfa.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Bao wrote:How many years ago was that? The vid was put up 2011, but how much older is he? Look at his back and neck when he moves, very flexible for a late eighty years old. Loved that performance, great shenfa.

Not sure when that clip was made. This is his current picture.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Not so much difference from the vids that I can see. He looks amazing for 91 years old. You can see from his posture what good mobility his body has. Awesome, I am very impressed. 8-)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Bao wrote:
Steve James wrote:Well, methods aren't directions. But all methods will use left or right, forward or back.

The five directions is a Chinese philosophical concept prevalent in Daoist cosmology and belong to the terminology of Tai Chi Chuan. The five directions generate space, generating space generates movement, this movement is the five elements, through the creative force of the five elements, the eight trigrams are born. Organizing every combination of the trigrams in each direction means the 64 hexagrams. This is the origin of the concept of the 13 principles. The five directions are thus merely meant as directions and there was originally never any intention to regard them as techniques. Why? Because every posssible technique can already be found in combining the 8 techniques with the 8 techniques in the five directions. They are already there, so any other technique on top of this would be superficial. Now, I can only speak of what is logical according to classical theory. How people interprete it nowadays is different. If Chen Xiaowang can call the five directions whatever he wants, so can you.

Oh. Thanks.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan