Most Representative Techniques for Thirteen Postures?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Most Representative Techniques for Thirteen Postures?

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:05 am

MaartenSFS wrote: I don't do Sanda anymore, since I learned TCMA...

grow the fuck up. sanda means free fight. every time you spar you are doing sanda dipshit. it's a fucking ruleset first, a system second and a style last.
before sanda term was popular we just said san shou. No one here in the UK ever did "sanda" or san shou as a system or style, it's all part of TCMA.. That it's not? that's your fucking hang up and cultural experience.. get the fuck over it.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:44 am

Fuck off, literally everyone in the mainland refers to Sanda as the sport, just like MMA. Sanshou is Sanshou. Take your PMSing elsewhere.
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:50 am

John, when I get back to my Master I'll look into doing drills like that for both striking and wrestling.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:00 am

Why should I give a fuck about the mainland ?
The situation there doesn't make it "the truth", and doesn't justify you talking utter bollocks because it makes you fucking feel special.

get over yourself. arsehole

you do "sanda" like the rest of us, it's just pretty shit sanda. that's all
nob
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:11 am

ps

you spar like a spaz on ampthetamines.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:40 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Appledog, I don't have to ask here. I'm just looking for other perspectives. I don't come on here for instruction. I have a master and training partners for that. Knowledge from experienced people is valuable. Based on people's responses I can judge if they know what they are talking about or not - at least enough to give me some ideas.

Sure -- but if you took a couple more years and worked at it, and learned another style or two (frame or two) I am pretty certain you could do what you wanted here because it would be intuitive to you. That being said I don't mind sharing my own experience, whether you find it valuable or not is another question.

MaartenSFS wrote:My goal is to streamline IMA as much as possible, removing anything and everything extra that hinders my and my students' progress. I hope that within three months my students will have more confidence and can defend themselves a little and begin exhibiting some internal power within a year. No one has time to wait ten years whilst knowledge gets handed to them like throwing breadcrumbs to the birds. They need to learn on the fly with punches coming at them. That may sound like Yiquan, but Yiquan is boring as fuck. I don't want to take it THAT far. I'm currently not interested in making any forms.

Our goals are much the same but there are problems I ran into. One, when streamlining the form into a set of 13 postures (in five movements) I found that it was barely (barely) enough to retain quality of movement. There is something about the long form and how it is put together which seems to cover many gaps that tend to show up in shorter forms. In the end, students simply need to know more than a small number of movements. I then experimented with breaking up the 13 postures into sets of 1, 2, 3 and trying to create drills for each. Then reworking the forms, breaking them back up into sections which match the postures and drills being taught and the tier of exercise I am presenting at that level. Initial results look promising but this needs a lot of work and I need guinea pigs. Some of the stuff I am coming up with seems pretty cool actually but it will take a while to see if this training pays off.

Also it seems that it doesn't matter how long the forms are, but for how long you do them. For example it is pretty easy to turn something like brush knee or repulse monkey into a 'road' practice (back and forth in a line) or repeat grasp bird's tail/single whip over and over again in each direction. But the benefit of doing this for an hour is only marginally higher than just doing the normal form. I would say in the end it's quicker to learn and to teach this way, if your goal is to "feel something", but i am not sure if you are going to save yourself any time in the end. The question then becomes how to train the second and third moves. It seems that starting over and introducing them as new movements will not be sufficient. See this video for some ideas which seemed to help me think this aspect through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsf-GbvQcDw

I'm still experimenting too, I have some real cutting edge stuff I am working on, I'd prefer to show it to someone than try and describe it though. Maybe if we can visit sometime.

p.s. also, for what its worth, I don't think you spar like a spaz on amphetamines. Just saying.
Last edited by Appledog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:09 pm

cloudz wrote:Why should I give a fuck about the mainland ?
The situation there doesn't make it "the truth", and doesn't justify you talking utter bollocks because it makes you fucking feel special.

get over yourself. arsehole

you do "sanda" like the rest of us, it's just pretty shit sanda. that's all
nob

WTF. Why should I give a fuck about you?? CMA are from China, in case you haven't noticed. Try removing the stick out of your arse. It may help clear your mind.

Get over myself? You're the one arguing Chinese semantics with someone that speaks Chinese and has been living in China and studying Gongfu for over ten years. You'd think that during that time I'd have learned the difference between Sanda and Sanshou, as the Chinese use the terms.. I didn't make this shit up.

I'll check it out later, Appledog, can't open it on my phone..
Last edited by MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Another way to train Taiji Peng an Lu with striking.

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward.
- You use right back fist at his face. he blocks with right arm (Peng).
- You use left arm to re-block his right arm (same direction as his blocking), spin your right arm and hay-maker onto his head.
- He blocks with left arm.
- You change your right hay-maker into left wrist grab.
- Let your left hand to take over that wrist grab. Move your right hand on his left elbow joint, pull his left arm across his body and jam his own right arm (Lu).
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

johnwang wrote:- You use right back fist at his face. he blocks with right arm (Peng).

This is an interpretation of the form movement peng. Do you believe that using peng as a backfist is the same as understanding pengjin?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Bao wrote:
johnwang wrote:- You use right back fist at his face. he blocks with right arm (Peng).

This is an interpretation of the form movement peng. Do you believe that using peng as a backfist is the same as understanding pengjin?

The back fist is just to establish "arm contact". You can train Peng in many different ways. As long as

- Your body can function as one union.
- You can bounce your opponent away and remain your body structure (not collapse on your joints).

You have understood Peng. A friend of mine liked to demonstrate his Peng by asking anybody who tried to apply any joint lock on him. With his Peng, no joint locking could work on him.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:41 pm

johnwang wrote:A friend of mine liked to demonstrate his Peng by asking anybody who tried to apply any joint lock on him. With his Peng, no joint locking could work on him.

That's right, a good example of how peng works.

You can train Peng in many different ways. As long as
- Your body can function as one union.
- You can bounce your opponent away and remain your body structure (not collapse on your joints)

IMO, practicing peng is more practicing principle than practicing actual technique. Do you regard this as abstract practice or concrete practice? It's hard to practice on how to kill someone by bouncing him away.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:03 pm

Bao wrote:IMO, practicing peng is more practicing principle than practicing actual technique. Do you regard this as abstract practice or concrete practice? It's hard to practice on how to kill someone by bouncing him away.

When I use my hand to push on my opponent's body, if his body can collapse my body structure (such as affect my shoulder joint, elbow joint, wrist joint, neck joint, spine joint, ...), I don't have a good Peng. That's one concrete practice to test Peng.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 pm

I agree, John. That's a good idea. How do you test the other Jin?
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm

MaartenSFS wrote:How do you test the other Jin?

All 4 Jins can be trained and tested in this 1st drill that I have suggested.

There are many other ways to test those Jins. For example, to test Lu, you may try this.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:11 am

In the Lv video there's nothing to test, though. He just stands there and waits. Perhaps if he were to try to tackle you at full speed, that would be a better test, almost like a bull fight.. :P
MaartenSFS
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan