TCMA Fighting video..

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

TCMA Fighting video..

Postby MaartenSFS on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 am

So, I was sent this video the other day. It's a bit messy, but then again fighting always is, but it is a legitimate fight. It doesn't matter if it's a competition or not. These guys put themselves out there, on the line. I see the traditional techniques of the TCMA in question on display here. One could argue that the round kick isn't a part of that system (I really don't know), but it doesn't bother me at all, as all TCMA were MMA to various degrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQosCs0IlJk

Still not a huge fan of this particular art, but it just goes to show that it's not about the art, but about how you train. I expect people to be able to fight using the techniques and strategies of their art, not just train some flowery forms and then fight in a totally different way. I don't expect it to always look good or for TCMA practitioners to always win. That will depend on who trained harder or who had more fighting experience and, by itself, does not indicate how effective an art is.

People do MMA because it is popular and because it has been proven to work. Most are not willing to take a risk with something else, as many TMA have been watered down to LARPing. Still, there are those out there than can use TCMA to fight and I hope that more film their exploits before they disappear entirely.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan