挤 Ji as "squeeze"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

挤 Ji as "squeeze"

Postby everything on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 am

挤 Ji can be translated as squeeze. That is how the Google translates it. I think of it in this sense as "crowd" or "press in" or "squeeze in".

What do you make of this translation in a taijiquan context?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: 挤 Ji as "squeeze"

Postby cloudz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 am

I train ji as a triangulating body force, so that translation works well. It sounds like you're describing a tactic though of getting close or pressurizing the other guy. For me the bamen are about using the body in certain ways. If you're using the body force as a tactic to acheive something fair enough, otherwise they aren't simply tactics without useing the body a certain way, they are ways to use the body for martial purposes. Or at least that's how I have learned them.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 am

Well, ya could argue that "squeeze" or compress is the opposite of "split" or separate. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to say, those are concepts/ideas. There are loads of ways to riff off those ideas in application.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am

Squeeze is how it was always translated for me, although 'press' was also used. As George says above however, Ji is 'triangulation' for me.

An interesting analogy i like to use is to imagine squeezing someone into the corner of a room. Triangulation, compression or pressing force, and squeezing as hands follow the walls to the corner. Simply take the walls away from this mental exercise and you are left with the feeling of Ji as i have felt it.

thanks.
Last edited by middleway on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 am

Steve James wrote:Well, ya could argue that "squeeze" or compress is the opposite of "split" or separate. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to say, those are concepts/ideas. There are loads of ways to riff off those ideas in application.

they aren't just concepts and ideas though, they are also ways to organize body forces and use them in application. It's also not the opposite of split. Split can move away from eachother or towards eachother but not triangulating like ji to a single point. there's some similarity there. So for example when you have an arm from the outside left position and are pulling it towards you with your right arm and applying an opposite force on the upper arm just higher than the elbow joint that is also split. so split is 2 directional but they can move away or toward eachother. When going towards eachother there is an element of ji in there. so hardly opposite.

So rollback to standing armbar for example can combine lu, lieh and some ji
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah, to squeeze or split. Where do we disagree?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 am

I have edited/ elaborated. maybe we agree ?

edit: the opposite thing(split is opposite to ji), that was it I think..
Last edited by cloudz on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:11 am

Well, actually, I don't disagree with your explanation. I wasn't saying that lieh was the opposite of ji. I deliberately tried to avoid referring to "ji" (press) in the Yang form because I know that gets into specific applications that may be different. But, the op used "compress" -- and so I was thinking in terms of what the opposite energy would be. You're right that "lieh" or split can be "kai" or "he." It's still splitting something. Splitting the opponent's arm up (at the elbow, for ex.) and splitting his arm down are two applications of "lieh." I'm not arguing with you or that point.

There's a bunch that could be said (written about) afa applications of "ji." But, then it'll become the usual discussion :) of how "we" do it or apply it in "our" system.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am

Disrupt/unbalance/rattle
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:13 am

everything wrote:挤 Ji can be translated as squeeze. That is how the Google translates it. I think of it in this sense as "crowd" or "press in" or "squeeze in".

What do you make of this translation in a taijiquan context?

I agree with you.
From MDGB -
to crowd in / to cram in / to force others aside / to press / to squeeze / to find (time in one's busy schedule)

to crowd in / to cram in / to force others aside / to press / to squeeze all have a common idea. If your opponent had their back against a wall and you applied ji jin you would squeeze them. In this case, force someone aside - you force them back.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:41 am

In wrestling,

1. "挤 (Ji) - squeeze" is used when your opponent lifts one leg up and stands on one leg.
2. It's a horizontal force.
3. You should end with a bow arrow stance.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 am

Last edited by Bao on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks a lot. Interesting discussion and insights!

1. triangulation - never heard or thought of this way. That really helps. Also really interesting to compare/contrast split and ji. Hmm.
2. wresting terminology - so it's very different? Or are you saying it's similar?
3. Death Star - lol, but enjoyed that article

I was once "pressed" really well with the classic two-hand "press" shape - triangulating into the one point on me - and sent up and away an impressive amount. No magical "qi" there (and no, no finishing move) but darn if that wasn't one of the coolest demos to feel.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Don't wander off the path - ji is using Jin in a direction away from the body. That's it.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

everything wrote:2. wresting terminology - so it's very different? Or are you saying it's similar?

In wrestling, Ji can be used to counter all leg attack such as foot sweep, horse back kick, inner hook, outer hook, cut, ..., The moment that your opponent uses his leg to attack your leg, the moment that you move your leg "behind his rooting leg", end with a bow arrow stance, use your body to squeeze on his body, and take him down.

- 反踢挤(Fan Ti Ji) - use squeeze to counter foot sweep.
- 反别挤(Fan Bie Ji) - use squeeze to counter horse back kick.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan