Standing passively

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Standing passively

Postby Yeung on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:25 am

This is an example of standing passively to neutralize an incoming force as demonstrated but one needs to workout the difference between moving away and being pushed away. Moving away is an active action and being pushed away is a passive action. The link to the video as follows:

https://www.facebook.com/39716348706001 ... 972135127/

The concept of a passive stance is similar to the concept of sinking but it gets complicated as one lower the stance or put most of the body weight in one leg, etc.

This is basic to the techniques of torso led footwork and passive stepping,etc.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Standing passively

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:06 am

Passive bystanders I have heard of
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:43 am

That is not passive. That's following force while actively keeping the integrity of the centerline/zhong ding.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 am

Bao wrote:That is not passive. That's following force while actively keeping the integrity of the centerline/zhong ding.

Agreed.

I think the distinction that you, Yeung, are making isn't an accurate one. If someone falls on you, as in your video clip, the passive response is to fall over. Active responses involve staying on your feet by doing something. That something can be stepping, can be turning, can be pushing back, etc., but anything other than falling over is an "active", learned response.

As an aside, the person "pushing" in the video is purposely falling. He actively does something so that he doesn't fall on his face: he steps.
charles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

I don't quite get the point of the clip
Guy out of balance reaches to push over old lady who turns shoulder he then stumbles forward
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 am

I assume the point is to practice a little rollback as if the "push" were unexpected. You are standing on a train platform waiting in line and suddenly receive an accidental (or on purpose) incoming push. You are "passive" because you weren't doing anything, but you roll the force.

Yeung, the term "passive" is probably what throws all of us off. You aren't actually "passive" and you shouldn't be, but I think by "passive" you mean "standing around normally, not doing anything in particular, not meditating/doing qigong/doing martial arts." In that sense, I sort of follow you if that's what you mean.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am

charles wrote:As an aside, the person "pushing" in the video is purposely falling. He actively does something so that he doesn't fall on his face: he steps.

If it's the concept demonstration some artificiality is fine as long as there's no claim that it's an imitation of a real attack.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby charles on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:38 pm

HotSoup wrote:If it's the concept demonstration some artificiality is fine as long as there's no claim that it's an imitation of a real attack.

It appears to be a simple exercise. Consequently, it probably makes sense not to over-analyze it. One person applies a force, the other turns so that the incoming force glances past. My point was simply that each is doing something specific, neither is being passive.
Last edited by charles on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby flying_mud on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Yeung wrote:one needs to workout the difference between moving away and being pushed away.

At the moment of impact she was passive and he was active. I have practiced this. It's more difficult to be passive(still) when you can see the push coming. I like how she prepared her stance to receive the push. It gave her ample time too actively use the force 8-)
flying_mud
Anjing

Postby Yeung on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:15 am

Thank you for your observations and comments, actually this a test of 4 different responses of passive passive, passive active, active passive, and active active. There are difficulties in visualize them, and the results are very much depended on the subject's verbal reports. Maybe EMG and slow motion video software will show up some differences.
Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan