Application for "brush knee"

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Application for "brush knee"

Postby johnwang on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Here is another application for Taiji "brush knee". Your thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTCXha ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Application for "brush knee"

Postby origami_itto on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:42 pm

That doesn't feel more like an "embrace tiger to return it to the mountain" to you?

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bill on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm

John

To me that's hsing-i monkey. 100%
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Applications never have to look exactly like the form. The application in the first video has elements that could be from BKTS. Embrace Tiger is like BKTS, except that it uses a retreat step and ends on a diagonal.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Steve James wrote:Applications never have to look exactly like the form. The application in the first video has elements that could be from BKTS. Embrace Tiger is like BKTS, except that it uses a retreat step and ends on a diagonal.

Well sure, just thinking about what fits best for the energy. It's a good brush knee app, could be a good embrace tiger app.

Looking back at that video, it's not how I do embrace tiger at all, so not the best example of what I mean I guess.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:48 am

johnwang wrote:Here is another application for Taiji "brush knee". Your thought?

BNTS as an entering move against several types of kicks, certainly. As long as timing and angles are OK - above all not opposing your defending arm straight against the kick, in a strength-against-strength manner (goodbye arm).
In the video you post, two different applications are being shown. The defending guy in black at the start is doing a move that certainly fits within the BNTS parameter. His lower arm comes down and intercepts/deflects the kick from the inside before capturing the attacking leg. Maybe the defender's leg is also taking some of the impact, hard to tell from this perspective. Then Cung Le demonstrates something different. As he explains, he uses his angled thigh more like a ramp to deflect the kick and then afterwards he seizes the attacking leg from the outside. (Seems strange to me, two different moves in the same demo video). To my mind the second move doesn't really fit the BNTS parameter. But maybe more an Embrace Tiger variant, at least as I understand it.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 am

Your right there Giles it resembles BKTS in no way
Nor does it resemble CTBTM which is just a turning variation of BKTS
to defend kicks with BKTS is ineffective due to the structure of the move
The defence is in the upper palace the arm in the lower palace is just following energy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:28 pm

To assist the discussion I made a video of how T.T. Liang practiced BKTS and ETRTM.

Your tradition may vary a little, but what I understand this to demonstrate is that the lead hand on brush knee first crosses the body high and then returns to the same side low, while the rear hand circles back low, then forward high.

Embrace tiger can be seen as a variation on both this and cloud hands, in my opinion. The lead hand travels from the centerline to the same side high, then drops to palm up above the thigh while the rear hand is the same as brush knee's rear hand.

I suppose which application is more appropriate depends more on what you're going to do next. Embrace Tiger to Return it to the Mountain is pretty clearly in my opinion a throw. The lead hand against the chest and the rear hand under the knee, turn the wheel with their weighted foot as a fulcrum. Brush Knee and Twist Step from that context would be more of a trip/knockdown in the opposite direction allowing the weighted leg to drag with the body, and I don't believe that it is quite as effective or efficient, in my opinion.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 pm

TT is not a good example due to his connection with CMC?
In his tradition the application is less evident in the form.
BKTS and CT both can be used as a throw but there are a myriad of applications just as done in the form
There are also many ways they can be adapted for real life application
Unfortunately the ones in the clip use completely different energy
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 pm

johnwang wrote:Here is another application for Taiji "brush knee". Your thought?

Where are the taiji players using it?

One might call it brush knee, its not what the people in the clip call it.
One might call it anything depending on ones view point and they'ed be correct.

Some might even argue about it as here. Where are the taiji players using brush knee?

Everyone can agree on what a boxing upper cut, or right cross as shown by "boxers" is.
There would be no argument about what it was or how it was used.

Why is taiji so different?

of course there are teachers and schools that teach taiji that are different.

2:06 brush knee, application and usage ;)

Applications never have to look exactly like the form.

True but they should reflect what is trained, which in this teacher's case is what they train and do.
Very good apps, with training that supports, and testing that confirms them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2b8PGMvSVQ
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby willie on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 am

windwalker wrote:
Where are the taiji players using it?

One might call it brush knee, its not what the people in the clip call it.
One might call it anything depending on ones view point and they'ed be correct.

Some might even argue about it as here. Where are the taiji players using brush knee?

Everyone can agree on what a boxing upper cut, or right cross as shown by "boxers" is.
There would be no argument about what it was or how it was used.

Why is taiji so different?

of course there are teachers and schools that teach taiji that are different.

2:06 brush knee, application and usage ;)

Applications never have to look exactly like the form.

True but they should reflect what is trained, which in this teaches case is what they train and do.
Very good apps, with training that supports

That is a very good post wind Walker.
Perhaps people have become much too liberal? If you came down to train with us, You would see application of brush knee in use exactly how it is supposed to be.
Last edited by willie on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
willie

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:02 am

BKTS, like any other shi, can be broken down in terms of the 13 (peng, lu, ji, an, etc). BKTS is simply an expression of those movements /energies. Any correct expression of them is fine. In fact, since no two opponents may attack the same way, one might have to create a new expression that fulfills the immediate need. I.e., if one's tcc is limited to the forms and specific applications, one's ability to respond is also limited.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am

Steve James wrote:BKTS, like any other shi, can be broken down in terms of the 13 (peng, lu, ji, an, etc). BKTS is simply an expression of those movements /energies. Any correct expression of them is fine. In fact, since no two opponents may attack the same way, one might have to create a new expression that fulfills the immediate need. I.e., if one's tcc is limited to the forms and specific applications, one's ability to respond is also limited.

"When sparring with opponents, we do not use prescribed postures, but make it impossible to lay a hand on us"
-Wang Tsung-Yueh
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Steve James wrote:BKTS, like any other shi, can be broken down in terms of the 13 (peng, lu, ji, an, etc). BKTS is simply an expression of those movements /energies. Any correct expression of them is fine. In fact, since no two opponents may attack the same way, one might have to create a new expression that fulfills the immediate need. I.e., if one's tcc is limited to the forms and specific applications, one's ability to respond is also limited.

What you say is correct application and form change due to circumstance
However the application of each move has certain parameters and must remain true to those
If not there is no point in form
The 8 energies are in each section of the form and each movement
They combine and seperate just like ingredients in a soup
Until there is perfection of form there is no release from form
Thus no formlessness
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:33 pm

The form is not the goal.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan