I regret the violence I didn’t commit.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: I regret the violence I didn’t commit.

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:08 pm

You couldn't have fought back when you were a child. If you'd fought him after you trained, it would have been murder. You wouldn't have felt better at all. It was he who probably ended life with beating a kid on his conscience. You ended up stronger and better than he.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Steve James wrote:You couldn't have fought back when you were a child. If you'd fought him after you trained, it would have been murder. You wouldn't have felt better at all. It was he who probably ended life with beating a kid on his conscience. You ended up stronger and better than he.

While I can understand this view point.

Do not agree.

The old dead teacher is still beating him.
Otherwise why would he want to go back to beat the teacher.

In China people burn many things to send to those who have passed. Why not send an asskicking or ask one of the many Chinese gods to take care of it
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Well, in the west, there's a saying that if you seek revenge, dig two Graves. The problem is not the dead bully. It's how his acts still bother John. He can keep living with those feelings or not. There's nothing to be done about the past.

Actually, the only way to get over it is to forgive the person, and hope he can't forgive himself. That's one road to healing. I know that it's not the most popular. In some cultures, they would dig up the bodies of dead enemies just to keep injuring them in the afterlife. I get it.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:27 pm

well this is why certain wars never stop
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:13 pm

Steve James wrote:Well, in the west, there's a saying that if you seek revenge, dig two Graves.

I have given up many revenges in my life. The person who said that he was going to kill me next time we met. He is still alive and lives in Houston. The day he said, "John, look at how big you are and how small I'm. How can you take advantage on me?" I had forgiven him right at that moment.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 pm

while that belligerence might be seductive;
i find that the lucidity and cunning required of a fighter will be lost

Dao De Jing, Chapter 68
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:21 am

They don't have enough graves for my enemies so let karma do its stuff!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

everything wrote:well this is why certain wars never stop

春秋曰:襄公複九世之仇!,... 家恨的話,卻是隻能三代之內了……

Old Chinese saying said, "To revenge for your nation, you can wait for 9 generations. To revenge for your family (or yourself), you can only wait for 3 generations."
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:42 am

Well, if you really want revenge, you attack the people your enemy loves. But what does that make you?

If you want some good examples of revenge and its effects, look no further than Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus and that Scottish play come to mind. There have been equally bad examples in recent times, but nothing beats the human imagination. Rwanda is an example of the worst atrocities yet the most hope.
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:40 pm

we all live in modern societies with the rule of law and with generally effective law enforcement and
judicial system. Assuming that, one is not gonna "the feck with it", you will need to a plan to carry out
the said "revenge"

how you gonna do it?
you wanna go up to they guy and challenge him to a death match?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 am

Steve James wrote:Well, in the west, there's a saying that if you seek revenge, dig two Graves. The problem is not the dead bully. It's how his acts still bother John. He can keep living with those feelings or not. There's nothing to be done about the past.

Actually, the only way to get over it is to forgive the person, and hope he can't forgive himself. That's one road to healing. I know that it's not the most popular. In some cultures, they would dig up the bodies of dead enemies just to keep injuring them in the afterlife. I get it.

Well, if you really want revenge, you attack the people your enemy loves. But what does that make you?

If you want some good examples of revenge and its effects, look no further than Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus and that Scottish play come to mind. There have been equally bad examples in recent times, but nothing beats the human imagination. Rwanda is an example of the worst atrocities yet the most hope.

+1

Forgiveness for something bad or terrible is hard and it can't be done just at the push of a button. But even if you can't (yet) actually forgive: the more you let go, the more free you yourself become. The more you hold on to your own feelings of anger and hate, the more you give continue to give power to the person who mistreated you.
"Letting go" doesn't mean forgetting, or pretending that something never happened.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 pm

johnwang wrote:I always want to punch one of my elementary school teacher on his face. One day I heard that he had passed away, I regret that I didn't punch him when he was still alive.

Why do I hate that elementary teacher so much? When I was in my 3rd grade in Taiwan, one day I got into a fight with my classmate. The teacher hit that boy once, he then hit me 6 times. The teacher asked me whether if I understood why. I said that I didn't. He said, "Because you are a pig". Back then Taiwanese would call a Chinese who immigrated from China to Taiwan as "pig". All my kid life was the history of "pig fought back against human's racism behavior.

Old Chinese saying said, "It's OK to wait for 3 years to execute your revenge". I assume I have waited too long.

Do you have similar experience?

My aunt, who's in the same generation as you are, also got called an "outside-of-province pig" 外省豬 by a Taiwanese teacher when she was in elementary school.

She got her revenge by beating up the teacher's youngest son who also went to the same school, which I thought was absolutely genius and hilarious! ;D ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 pm

C.J.W. wrote:My aunt, who's in the same generation as you are, also got called an "outside-of-province pig" 外省豬 by a Taiwanese teacher when she was in elementary school.

She got her revenge by beating up the teacher's youngest son who also went to the same school, which I thought was absolutely genius and hilarious! ;D ;)

When I was 7, onetime I fought against several Taiwanese kids. I picked a rock and threw at a Taiwanese kid. My rock hit right on his forehead. Blood came down from his forehead. I hided myself in a neighbor's house while that kid's father went to complain to my father. After that, those kids knew that I did fight back. They didn't bother me any more in my neighborhood. When I went home and told my father that several kids tried to beat me up. My father was quite happy to know that I fought back. That was the year that I just started to learn Taiji from a monk (my father's friend). My Taiji didn't help me much in those fight.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:37 am

johnwang wrote:I always want to punch one of my elementary school teacher on his face. One day I heard that he had passed away, I regret that I didn't punch him when he was still alive.

Why do I hate that elementary teacher so much? When I was in my 3rd grade in Taiwan, one day I got into a fight with my classmate. The teacher hit that boy once, he then hit me 6 times. The teacher asked me whether if I understood why. I said that I didn't. He said, "Because you are a pig". Back then Taiwanese would call a Chinese who immigrated from China to Taiwan as "pig". All my kid life was the history of "pig fought back against human's racism behavior.

Old Chinese saying said, "It's OK to wait for 3 years to execute your revenge". I assume I have waited too long.

Do you have similar experience?

Thanks John,
You remind me something I should be doing.
On the contrary to your experience, mine is opposite, I was a Taiwanese being bullied by my Chinese teacher.
I guess it’s never too late when they are alive.
However, I am not sure of beating up a granny will be my approach.
Last edited by Overlord on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby suckinlhbf on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Drink Tea Eat Bread lar. An eye to an eye never ends.

I regret a lot on what I have done. Much more than what I didn't do.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan