The Martial Arts Teacher - a new book

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The Martial Arts Teacher - a new book

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am

Steve James wrote:I'm not a martial arts teacher, but I've taught for thirty years. I know there are loads of books on developing and improving teaching methods. So, are there many books aimed at teachers of martial arts? If so, are they of use to those who don't teach? Which books have the teachers on RSF found to be helpful or have improved their teaching?

Some have found this one useful. Hey, this is a book promo thread, right? ;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Points-Sparring-Martial-Training/dp/099564540X/
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Huajing

Postby Bhassler on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

RobP3 wrote:
Steve James wrote:I'm not a martial arts teacher, but I've taught for thirty years. I know there are loads of books on developing and improving teaching methods. So, are there many books aimed at teachers of martial arts? If so, are they of use to those who don't teach? Which books have the teachers on RSF found to be helpful or have improved their teaching?

Cool! When are you going to make it an eBook and price it in dollars, instead of the funny English money?
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am

Bhassler wrote:

Cool! When are you going to make it an eBook and price it in dollars, instead of the funny English money?[/quote]

Lol, well there's a PDF version. I found for me that plain text is straightforward for converting to E-book but loads of photos is a real pain!

http://selz.co/EyQ5$$E$f
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:54 am

AIY wrote:Bao, I usually respect what you have to say on this board, but I think you're on the wrong track here,

Thank you for replying, and thank you for sharing your opinion. 8-)

As for your reluctance to buy the book, okay I can understand. That's your own preference. But you haven't given an objective reason that the book might not be worthwhile for others.

I think you misunderstood. I don’t say that I think it must be bad or useless. For the first book, “A research of...”, I am sure that I would throw myself over it if I was 15-20 years old, and that I would like it very much. A book about teaching and teachers in the martial arts world, I do think I could appreciate in the same way, as a general guidance to the martial arts. And I do think that many who buys the book will. I enjoyed R W Smith’s “Boxing Masters and Methods”, but this book didn’t try to teach anyone teaching. The problem here is that teaching is about experience. Even to understand other teachers, you need some experience. Teaching experience and Life experience. Maybe if a person don’t have much knowledge and experience it will be a fine book to read. ??? But then again, if your aim is to learn something about teaching and if you don’t have a certain experience, you probably still won’t learn enough to achieve anything practical from it. Do you see the problem here as I do? But as a general guide book about martial arts, such a book might be just fine.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 pm

although I find the writing very reasonable for marketing purposes, There was a phase that I didn't quite like.
offering exceptional ideas and solution for all martial arts teachers from any style

The any style thing...
in a conversation with a couple friends of mine, old western boxers that I know. One night in the ring, One of the boxers got a very
badly broken nose, totally crooked. so the other brother, also a boxer, who cornered for him, had him snort cocaine to numb out his nose and then
twisted his nose back into a relatively close position again... any advise? LOL!
Last edited by willie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Damn it, I forgot, straightened it with a rusty old pair of needle-nose pliers that he got from the trunk of his car and sterilized with Absolut Vodka.
Last edited by willie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:01 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Bao wrote:JB is quite a young person with not so small claims on vast knowledge.

:)

Vanity Fair article, In Honor of Justin Bieber’s New Autobiography, Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever: My Story, the Second Through Fifth Steps 2 Forever, https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010 ... -2-forever:
JULI WEINER on OCTOBER 12, 2010 5:00 PM wrote:Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever: My Story, the autobiography of savvy 16-year-old YouTube user Justin Bieber, hit suburban malls today. “I think this book is a window into my world,” Bieber wrote of the work on its cover. According to Entertainment Weekly, readers can expect to find “pages upon pages of adorable pictures from the road, tons of huge pull quotes, extraneous tweets and lyrics throughout, ridiculous stories about dating (let the jealousy from the legion begin!), pages of flowery praise for everyone who helped him get where he is today, and lots of love for Chuck Norris.” Although the book is already No. 33 on Amazon’s list of best-sellers, a sequel has not yet been announced! In anticipation of the Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever: My Story follow-up, we have produced what we believe to be likely additional steps 2 forever. First, though, let’s review that very first step, with verbatim snippets of My Story:

• “Even though I don’t want to be given special treatment, I guess some things are a little big different for me as I was surprised to be given a Range Rover for my sixteenth birthday.”

• “There are lots of things I really like besides girls. Like pizza. And pranking. And CHUCK NORRIS.”

• “Singers aren’t supposed to have dairy before a show, but we all know I’m a rule breaker. Pizza is just so good!”

• “My first date has been sort of mythologized as ‘Bieber’s Dating Disaster.’ I took her to King’s a buffet restaurant. Yes, I wore a white shirt. Yes, I got spaghetti. No, this was not the brightest idea. But it wasn’t a big trauma, though.”

Keeping in mind Bieber’s aesthetic and interests, we imagine the following might be soon listed as second, third, fourth, and fifth steps 2 forever.

• Step two: “I was on a date with a girl, and I was like, ‘Girl, do you want a soda?’ And she was like, ‘Yeah, a Sprite!’ And I was like, ‘Girl, you must be punking me because Sprite is mad gross!’ And she was like, ‘I was punking you!’ So yeah, I’d say that date went pretty well.”

• Step three: “Kanye West’s Twitter is my favorite book, but if we’re not counting Twitter feeds, I guess I’d have to say that my RSS feed of Kanye West’s Twitter is my favorite book.”

• Step four: “A couple weeks ago, some man approached me about designing a line of scarves, like for when it’s cold. I thought about it, but then I remembered that my mom said I had to keep a good head on my shoulders, and didn’t know if there was room for both the scarf and my head.”

• Step five: “Have you ever gotten gum stuck to your jeans? Happens to me all the time. My secret trick? Buy a new pair of jeans—one without any gum on it!”

Who the F..k is JB,(Justin Bieber that is)----An Ozzy quote I believe 8-)
Trick
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 pm

willie wrote:Damn it, I forgot, straightened it with a rusty old pair of needle-nose pliers that he got from the trunk of his car and sterilized with Absolut Vodka.

Sound he was more of an Explorer Vodka guy..... If we talking by Swedish standards and vodkas 8-)
Trick
Wuji

Postby Finny on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:29 pm

willie wrote:in a conversation with a couple friends of mine, old western boxers that I know. One night in the ring, One of the boxers got a very
badly broken nose, totally crooked. so the other brother, also a boxer, who cornered for him, had him snort cocaine to numb out his nose and then
twisted his nose back into a relatively close position again... any advise? LOL!

"badly broken nose, totally crooked... snorts cocaine.."

Sounds plausible.

::)
Finny
Great Old One

Postby willie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 pm

Finny wrote:
"badly broken nose, totally crooked... snorts cocaine.."

Sounds plausible.

::)
yep, two old Fighting Irish men. For a very short period in time, I had no work at the shop. So I had to take a part-time, low paying job as a very, very inexperienced bartender. That's where I met those guys. Most sociable dudes on the planet. The whole real reason why that event occurred in the first place, is that they didn't have any insurance to go to the Hospital.
Last edited by willie on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
willie
Wuji

Postby chimerical tortoise on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 am

middleway wrote:This is not to somehow suggest that personal skill is complete irrelevant of course! The truly useful martial arts coach will be deeply experienced in the art or method they are teaching. However, when we examine what it takes to produce results in the individual, the teacher’s personal skills fade into the background quickly. They become nothing more than an interesting side note in the athletes or exponents development.

Hi Chris,

Went in and had to find what you meant by "striving to fade into the background" here and really enjoyed your article.

You've met a lot of skilled practitioners and teachers over the years... so an honest question: could you name one or two 'traditional' teachers who were also good coaches?
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby chimerical tortoise on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 am

Bhassler wrote:Awareness Through Movement - Moshe Feldenkrais
Drills - Rory Miller
Intervention - Dan John

All of the above could be read with an eye towards process, rather than specifics.

I really liked Meditations on Violence for a sensible framework on what motivates people to learn martial arts. I haven't read Drills yet... so pardon the ignorance but what do you mean by 'process rather than specifics'?
chimerical tortoise
Huajing

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 am

willie wrote:although I find the writing very reasonable for marketing purposes, There was a phase that I didn't quite like.
offering exceptional ideas and solution for all martial arts teachers from any style

Exactly, it's a big claim. It's better to be a bit careful with generalisations and claims. As Charles said, it's not something you do if you want to look serious or if you have a more "academic" approach.

chimerical tortoise wrote:...one or two 'traditional' teachers who were also good coaches?

William Chen. His own kids and several students are top fighting champions.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:51 am

the justin beiber book looks interesting...
will have to check it out..

hahaha I got jokes... ;D :o :P

continue with the regularly scheduled programing.......
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 am

You've met a lot of skilled practitioners and teachers over the years... so an honest question: could you name one or two 'traditional' teachers who were also good coaches?

I think by definition the best 'coaches' in the Traditional arts are not the ones people will have heard of. They are not the focus nor are their personal skills, although they may be skilled, it is their students that often get the limelight.

With that said :) First would be a chap by the name of Pete Salter who is a Judo 5th Dan and was my Judo Teacher when i was in my teens. He has produced a large number of national champions and athletes who have competed on the national team numerous times. He is excellent at taking young people from white to black belt and on to elite athletic standard. No small feat.

Also I actually think Alex Kozma fits into this idea (or used too, i have not seen his approach for over 10 years now). I think alot of people know Alex has very good skill, indeed anyone who has met him in person and felt it directly has little doubt. But most know him for his books, etc. However, at least when i was learning from him, he would make the training highly individualised to the people around him. We would be training in the park and every person would be doing something different and specific to them. There were a number of people around him that had excellent skill and often they were excellent at different things. A testiment to his individualisation of the process.

I have met some others that i have a hunch would fit this model too but i wouldnt want to say as didnt have extensive time with them.

Outside of the 'traditional' teachers, there are plenty of expert coaches who are student centric and are not the Focus of attension for either new students or old.

thanks.
Chris.
Last edited by middleway on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan