Jet Li: How I’ll Bring Tai Chi to the Olympics

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Jet Li: How I’ll Bring Tai Chi to the Olympics

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Hehe, rerun posts, sorry my pad had some problem with the net connection
Trick

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 am

Just the other day, I read anarticle on FB, depicting Li Lianjie sitting sickly on a chair, contemplating that a wheel chair will be not too far down the road for him. So much to Wooshoo training, haha.
Ma also was mentioned, his horrendous tuition fees for a couple of meet-ups over a whole year, shown in a really bad posture of Chen style TJQ.
OMG!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 am

KEND wrote:I don't think money is a concern for Ma and Li, Ma is a multi billionaire. It is more to do with the prestige it carries for China and they probably are hand in glove with the government.

They are always concerned about money. Greed is a state of mind, not something that disappears just because you get wealthy. Ma pulls a lot of different threads to earn an even bigger fortune. Did you notice Ma’s tai chi courses for entrepreneurs? Well, he doesn’t do it exactly for free... Compared to what he already has it’s obviously still like a drop of water in the sea.

Anyway, you said the magic word: “Government”. Every business in China demands good relationships. So this is of course the main reason for such an effort - to build relationships with more people on the top and internationally as well.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 am

willie wrote:Bao, there is nothing wrong with earning money. People are suppose to provide a stable income for your family.

UH... Yeah... And your point is? ???

I don't really think that's it for selfish reasons.

Oh. It sure is. If you have ever read about Li and his family relationships you would know that he is a selfish SOB.
Any father that gives no shit about a kid from a previous relationship or marriage is a selfish worthless good for nothing SOB.

When it comes to Ma, I trust him zero. He says one thing in one place and another thing in another place. And he does things completely contradicting to what he says. He is essentially a Chinese male version of "Crooked Hillary". Maybe an unfair comparison though as he is at least 100x smarter.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am

Bao wrote:Ma and Li earns money on Tai Chi. They couldn't be less concerned if Tai chi was completely turned into a performance dance and if every trace of martial art disappeared. If they brought it to the Olympics, they would become famous globally in the whole Olympic world and they could earn much more money through the fame. So obviously it's for selfish reasons like anything else they do.

So I first saw Legend as a bootleg from China before it came to the states 2007(?). When I got a US copy recently I noticed they added a bit with Michelle Yeoh "telling the story" as a reason for why wushu should be an Olympic sport.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby robert on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:47 am

Trick wrote:Rerun article, in the interview Li says he's 47years oldy

Maybe part of it is recycled. Alibaba just partnered with the IOC this year.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-and-alibaba-group-launch-historic-long-term-partnership-as-alibaba-becomes-worldwide-olympic-partner-through-2028

The movie that is referenced, Gong Shou Dao, has a 2017 date in IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7570234/

https://www.jetli.com/2017/10/jet-li-gong-shou-dao-gsd-jack-ma
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby willie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 am

It definitely appears that they are all doing something. The net said that Li missed his anniversary so they gave him a party on set.
willie

Postby willie on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Bao wrote:
willie wrote:Bao, there is nothing wrong with earning money. People are suppose to provide a stable income for your family.

When it comes to Ma, I trust him zero. He says one thing in one place and another thing in another place. And he does things completely contradicting to what he says. He is essentially a Chinese male version of "Crooked Hillary". Maybe an unfair comparison though as he is at least 100x smarter.

Bao, If they were only in it for the money, Then I would say that they are crazy. There is a lot better ways to make money then investing in taichi.
Any good marketer will tell you that taichi is close to impossible to sell. Some people do make a good living at it, but those people are usually the
lineage holders themselves. So what's to trust?
willie

Postby origami_itto on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 pm

willie wrote:
Bao wrote:

Bao, If they were only in it for the money, Then I would say that they are crazy. There is a lot better ways to make money then investing in taichi.
Any good marketer will tell you that taichi is close to impossible to sell. Some people do make a good living at it, but those people are usually the
lineage holders themselves. So what's to trust?

Have you seen the dick Van Dyke infomercials? They sure are trying
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby cgtomash on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm

The official trailer is out for the new Jet Li movie with Jack Ma!

http://slantedflying.com/trailer-for-jet-lis-new-movie-featuring-jack-ma/
cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby Appledog on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 am

Hello! Originally I wanted to have a "cool post count" of 108, or something like that (something associated with Tai Chi) but that does not seem possible here. Therefore I am editing this post to point out that users here cannot delete their own posts. I do not understand why users have the ability to edit their posts but not to delete their posts.
Last edited by Appledog on Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 pm

In as much as it showcases taiji as a martial art rather than an easy form of exercise for seniors I think it's moving in the right direction. I also like that they are not calling their new art taijiquan - it's GSD. I think that is a good sign. I'll have to see what GSD is.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Appledog wrote:Making a historical piece with the production value of (at least) bodyguards and assassins about -- say -- the taiping rebellion and people like Chen Zhongshen and Chen Jishen-- now that would make for an awesome, kick-ass martial arts movie. You could paint it as being very down to earth.

You have a few such movies. The Emperor and the Assassin is a brilliant one and much more realistic than most with similar theme.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162866/

But people want to make movies that can sell to a large mainstream audience. What's in? Humor and artificial looking Kung Fu fights. That is much more easy to sell. The last of what was left of the integrity of the Chinese mainland filmmakers a long time ago (well, 2008 to be exact. ;) ) So again, it's all about money. :P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Here's a small screen version of Gong Shou Dao.

Zoner Honshu
Published on Nov 11, 2017

Gong Shou Road - 2017 Ma movie - Starring: Jack Ma - Wu Jing - Donnie Yen - Yuan Heping - Sammo Hung - Cheng Xiaodong - Jet Li:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2n3Tw5pio
marvin8
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:05 pm

marvin8 wrote:Here's a small screen version of Gong Shou Dao.

Zoner Honshu
Published on Nov 11, 2017

Gong Shou Road - 2017 Ma movie - Starring: Jack Ma - Wu Jing - Donnie Yen - Yuan Heping - Sammo Hung - Cheng Xiaodong - Jet Li:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2n3Tw5pio

And here's the sequel showing Tony Ma eating at his favorite restaurant.

origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan