The big 'internal Wing Chun' revelation

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: The big 'internal Wing Chun' revelation

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 am

chimerical tortoise wrote:
PS I think you meant... "Are you scare yet?" -joint-

Ah, here I can admit fault. You are, indeed, correct here. ;D Well done.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:08 am

I find the idea that one needs to pull in internal training from another art a bit bizarre. Anyone who has met and even briefly trained with Henry Leung, Yeung Gowfook, or Peng Nam (among others) knows that Wing Chun has always been a very internal art. The connection to White Crane is very well known - and much of Wing Chun's foundation and many of WIng Chun's techniques can be seen here in this White Crane form:

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Ian wrote:I tried to watch some Kernsprecht videos.

"Karate World Champion and the World's Best Wrestler learn Wing Tsun from Leung Ting & Kernspecht"

I think I'll pass.

Sorry to be off topic, but is the "Lord" title something in his organization or some kind of government title?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:30 pm

.Q. wrote:

"Karate World Champion and the World's Best Wrestler learn Wing Tsun from Leung Ting & Kernspecht"

I think I'll pass.

Sorry to be off topic, but is the "Lord" title something in his organization or some kind of government title?

Excerpt from Interview Grandmaster Keith R. Kernspecht, http://www.realisticselfdefense.net/kernspecht.html:
Combat wrote:Combat: Did you have a wrestler's name?
Keith R. Kernspecht: Yes, I was known by two titles. They named me 'Lord Keith' because I have British ancestors, and 'Strangler Keith' because I used to finish my opponents by choking them. I was quite strong at that time and one of first modern power-lifters in Northern Germany. My specialty were dumb bell flies with more than 150 lbs. in each hand!
marvin8
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm

marvin8 wrote:
.Q. wrote:

I think I'll pass.

Excerpt from Interview Grandmaster Keith R. Kernspecht, http://www.realisticselfdefense.net/kernspecht.html:
Combat wrote:Combat: Did you have a wrestler's name?
Keith R. Kernspecht: Yes, I was known by two titles. They named me 'Lord Keith' because I have British ancestors, and 'Strangler Keith' because I used to finish my opponents by choking them. I was quite strong at that time and one of first modern power-lifters in Northern Germany. My specialty were dumb bell flies with more than 150 lbs. in each hand!

Thanks. So it's just a nickname. I thought maybe it's one of those knighthood titles one can actually earn. Actually rather than Lord Professor, seems Lord Strangler would be more appropriate.
Last edited by .Q. on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Yuen-Ming on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Tom wrote:I would guess it is just a bad translation, but I know some Ph.D. candidates who would love to aspire to that title if it existed in academe. ;)

It might be just a bad translation but that organisation is famous for its ... weird ... titles

This is the title Keith's master gave to himself

YM
Yuen-Ming
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 pm

What about the title of "The Alter Tablet"
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby RobP3 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 am

Yuen-Ming wrote:
Tom wrote:I would guess it is just a bad translation, but I know some Ph.D. candidates who would love to aspire to that title if it existed in academe. ;)

It might be just a bad translation but that organisation is famous for its ... weird ... titles

This is the title Keith's master gave to himself

YM

Schoolboyish humour I know...but...that picture...really? :D
"Remember, if your life seems dull and boring - it is" Derek & Clive
www.systemauk.com
RobP3
Wuji

Postby middleway on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 am

Schoolboyish humour I know...but...that picture...really? :D

HAHA when you see you cant unsee. Bravo sir.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby KEND on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:02 am

The hierarchy of UK gentry as follows
www.edwardianpromenade.com/resources/ti ... recedence/
A Lord is one of the four levels established in the 14th century. Some are hereditary, some given to those who were prime minister, head of the civil service etc. Below them are the humbler knights who have the Sir appellation. Whether they earnt the titles is open to question, donations to the parties helps. I personally find the system outdated, open to corruption and perpetuating a class system more relevant to the middle ages. It seems to work in the UK as a stabilizing force but is questioned when some 'knights' are robber barons
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Eric_H on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:15 pm

I love how the WT guys like to bring up the Emin/Cheung thing as something to be proud of.

A dude twice his size blindsided him, took him down and hit him a few times. Then Cheung got up and taught the rest of a several hour seminar. Though Emin very clearly had control for that engagement, I wouldn't call that an ass kicking.

Also that happened in what, the 80's? Is that really the last time the whole org did anything of note?

And as a disclaimer, I don't do TWC. Don't particularly care for it it either.
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Twice his size.?
I had to go and check the clip

https://youtu.be/979JwlCUBdI
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Eric_H on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm

I stand corrected, they were more similar in size than i thought.

For some reason I always though Bozetepe was around 6"3 200+lb and Cheung about 5"7 and 150. Might have been part of the chewbacca defense, it doesn't look like that much of a disparity on a rewatch of the video.
Last edited by Eric_H on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Eric_H wrote:I love how the WT guys like to bring up the Emin/Cheung thing as something to be proud of.

A dude twice his size blindsided him, took him down and hit him a few times. Then Cheung got up and taught the rest of a several hour seminar. Though Emin very clearly had control for that engagement, I wouldn't call that an ass kicking.

Also that happened in what, the 80's? Is that really the last time the whole org did anything of note?

And as a disclaimer, I don't do TWC. Don't particularly care for it it either.

As far as damage goes, it wasn't any more serious than a schoolyard tussle. The goal, I believe, was simply to embarrass Leung in public and knock him off his high horse.

Leung Ting's camp also went to great lengths to make sure that the video footage got around; according to some of my friends, even the CMA association in Taiwan received a copy of the tape accompanied by a letter shortly after the incident.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Finny on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:21 pm

He was bigger, stronger and half his age.. that was a disgraceful episode, reflecting poorly on both sides I thought. Of course the LT folks put the tape about - it was purely a marketing exercise. As was the letter Cheung wrote claiming to be the greatest wck fighter out.

And for mine - I was never impressed with either group. Both were started by the most junior of YMs students, who both claimed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, bilked their students through countless 'levels' and grades, while teaching mechanical, robotic, dogmatic wing chun. i much prefer what I've seen from almost every other YM branch - WSL, LMK, LS etc.
Finny
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan