Traditional MAist's- Take advantage of the 21st century!

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Traditional MAist's- Take advantage of the 21st century!

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 am

I'm glad this sparked some good conversation especially amongst those of us getting on in years (I'll be 50 in june so...middle aged), but the main point I was hoping to make is that, with the instant access of the internet and the overwhelming abundance of sports medicine professionals putting their stuff up on specific issues, that there's no reason not to jump on those strains and pulled muscles etc...ASAP in the hopes of preventing those injuries from becoming issues that CAN'T be cleared up with a quick check up on available specific efficacious stretches and exercises. I just don't think that many people take as much advantage of it as they might, and it's just such an easy potential remedy. FWIW.

Cheers!

S.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:35 am

Ron Panunto wrote:Don't feel bad Trick, I'm 74 and still have that "no pain - no gain" attitude.

I have always believed in "no fun - no gain" attitude. To arrange a "fun" training program is important to me.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 am

oragami_itto wrote:Also I think that would kill a weak back, by the time dude's that bad off you're a good year of conditioning away from being able to back bend.

If you start to do this when you are young. It will be easier for you to keep doing this when you are old. 1 minute daily is all you will need.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:42 am

johnwang wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Also I think that would kill a weak back, by the time dude's that bad off you're a good year of conditioning away from being able to back bend.

If you start to do this when you are young. It will be easier for you to keep doing this when you are old. 1 minute daily is all you will need.

Definitely. Is there a Chinese saying that is equivalent to "closing the barn door after the cow has gone"?

There should be, and it would make it sound much wiser with some weird ass Chinese metaphor.

Speaking of doing it when you're old, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WANG SIFU!
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 am

oragami_itto wrote:Definitely. Is there a Chinese saying that is equivalent to "closing the barn door after the cow has gone"?

There should be, and it would make it sound much wiser with some weird ass Chinese metaphor.

Speaking of doing it when you're old, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WANG SIFU!

Thanks! Last year I still wrestled with guys on the grass. I don't think I want to do that this year. :'(

In another 1 hour I'll have a new student who will come to my class the 1st time. I think I will start him with circle running, rhino guard, double spears, single leg, head lock, ...
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 pm

johnwang wrote:
Ron Panunto wrote:Don't feel bad Trick, I'm 74 and still have that "no pain - no gain" attitude.

I have always believed in "no fun - no gain" attitude. To arrange a "fun" training program is important to me.

There's no "fun" rhyme in "no fun- no gain". Most of the practice I have done I thought where fun, but I also thought it was kind of fun to push my self beyond, and there's where the little pain came in
Trick

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan